Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Yes,what do you think the virus does everytime it gets opportunities to enter millions of hosts in unvaccinated countries,it mutates

Mutations doesn’t mean we’ll “inevitably have a vaccine busting variant” before the entire world is fully vaccinated (which could take multiple years).

We haven’t had a vaccine resistant variant until now and there is absolutely no scientific evidence that we’ll “inevitably” have one before we reach mass immunity.

You seem a bit blasé in dispensing travel advice and covid-related information on this thread. You might want to do a bit more research before passing your opinions as The Truth (or simply state they are merely opinions).

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Having Spanish citizenship doesnt entitle you to travel to Spain without reason on either end. Countries can close their borders. Spain closed its borders as did Slovakia to ALL entries regardless of nationality.

He has the right to return, not to holiday

Slovakia did not prevent citizens or residents entry when the borders were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Having Spanish citizenship doesnt entitle you to travel to Spain without reason on either end. Countries can close their borders. Spain closed its borders as did Slovakia to ALL entries regardless of nationality.

Non essential travel into Spain is allowed from Ireland by Spanish authorities.

Also on the return trip they will not be fined and given 28days to pay before getting a court summons which may result in up to one months imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Anyone flown out of Knock recently, just wondering what the situation is with the Gestapo there?
    (Btw 5euro flights On Ryanair until midnight tonight - makes the pcr test affordable)

Right now he has the right to return and come back with a DCC based on his travel plans after July 19th
    Indeed whatever legitimate excuse he gives today if he goes before the 19th will be irrelevant on his return with a DCC and as of now,a right to return to Ireland with that DCC he has

• Advertisement

yoshimitsu wrote: »

You seem a bit blasé in dispensing travel advice and covid-related information on this thread. You might want to do a bit more research before passing your opinions as The Truth (or simply state they are merely opinions).

I'm as accurate as I can be with current travel information on this thread
    Please forgive me if I ask for the credentials of an an anonymous twitter account promoted as gospel on this thread but I'm not apologising for that
    The Internet,especially twitter is full of misinformation masquerading as fact

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Yes,what do you think the virus does everytime it gets opportunities to enter millions of hosts in unvaccinated countries,it mutates

From the FDA commissioner: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/transcript-scott-gottlieb-face-the-nation-june-13-2021/

DR. GOTTLIEB: Yeah, it's really unclear. There's a lot of people who think that this virus has mutated rapidly over a short period of time and reached what we would call new-fitness level. But it's not going to continue to mutate at this rate. It's mutating about at the rate of influenza B right now. So it's mutating as quickly as influenza B. Remember, this virus has to thread a very careful needle. It's trying to change the spike protein, which is a protein on its surface that we develop our antibodies against in a way that our antibodies no longer recognize that protein. But that spike protein is also what the virus uses to attach to the lining of our respiratory tract. So it can't change it too much or else it no longer can latch onto our cells- cells. So it's trying to thread a very careful needle. It may be that the rate of mutation of this virus starts to slow down. The good news is that so far, none of these variants that we've seen defeat the vaccine. Some of them- for some of them, the vaccines are a little less effective. But the vaccines have maintained their effectiveness against all of these variants, including .617. So I don't think we're going to see a situation where we're going to wake up one day like we sometimes see with influenza where all of a sudden our vaccine doesn't work, at least not in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I have presented you information from a reputable expert who is quoting another expert.

If you disagree with it, fair enough but you need to show your credentials too and explain why you disagree.

This isn't for this thread anyway so I won't be carrying on with this conversation.

Regardless, it takes just weeks to modify a vaccine to deal with a new variant should one arise ( but there's more chance of a whole new virus appearing than a variant that can completely evade one of the vaccines on offer nevermind all of them and those in development).

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'm as accurate as I can be with current travel information on this thread
    Please forgive me if I ask for the credentials of an an anonymous twitter account promoted as gospel on this thread but I'm not apologising for that
    The Internet,especially twitter Boards.ie is full of misinformation masquerading as fact

I'd also like to see your source on the "inevitability of a vaccine busting variant" before the world is fully vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

0lddog wrote: »
    You are not the first regular poster on this thread to seem to have a limited understanding of the business of aviation

You are not the first regular poster on the thread to seem to have a limited understanding of logic.

I posted a fact that the Irish State sold its share in Aer Lingus and that it was now a privately owned entity. I can understand initial ignorance if you actually weren't aware of that, but an inability to process that easily verifiable information after it is subsequently pointed out to you may point to some other underlying issues.

What are you disagreeing with in my statement and what in it leads you to a definite conclusion as regards knowledge of the business of aviation? I think it's fair to posit that you may not have a great understanding of business yourself if you can't understand any distinction between private and public ownership.

Happy to wait on you to explain your issues with the statement I made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's lucky that the state sold its share so, and that private investors and businessmen who took the rewards in exchange for the risk, now have to manage the manifestation of that risk into real world problems.

Oh yea it definitely won't affect the tax payer at all when the flag carrier airline goes under.. oh no wait..

"“To say very clearly, Aer Lingus will not be allowed to fail. It is already receiving substantial financial support from government. Discussions are underway on further support for the company so it is there when we need it again,” Mr Varadkar told the Dáil.

I am also happy to wait for you to explain why you think your statement disproves any of what I said.

Do you not agree that it is lucky that the state sold its share if it is not going to survive (as the poster I was responding to claimed?).

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I'd also like to see your source on the "inevitability of a vaccine busting variant" before the world is fully vaccinated

Pfizer are continously researching potential variants and how to counteract them
    At a minimum reduced efficacy at times due to variants increases breakthrough infections including in vulnerable people
    You are going to see that(and are now) impacting travel for quite some time I'm afraid but hopefully we get better at mitigating it with sensible policies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we stick to the topic of the thread please. Variant discussion can go in the main Covid thread

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

Quick question regarding travel back to Ireland from Portugal (holiday) post 19th July - can I ask what happens if you test positive for Covid before your return flight? Assume you stay over there quarantined for 1/2 weeks or until a negative test? Apologies if already covered in earlier posts.....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

robbe wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question regarding travel back to Ireland from Portugal (holiday) post 19th July - can I ask what happens if you test positive for Covid before your return flight? Assume you stay over there quarantined for 1/2 weeks or until a negative test? Apologies if already covered in earlier posts.....

Thanks

You have to wait it out in Portugal. The Portugese government are backing travel insurance to cover all associated costs of a positive test, use one of the approved providers:

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/portugal-travel-insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

robbe wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

You would qualify for a "recovered from covid" version of the DCC so you wouldn't need to produce a test, just wait out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,962 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone remember last year when there was a poster on here warning about the hassle of having to repatriate a body if you got Covid when abroad on holidays? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I want to travel to the UK post 19th July. I will be vaccinated the day before.

Are we still in th dark as to what I need? I tried searching and reading here but nothing jumping out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Are we still in th dark as to what I need? I tried searching and reading here but nothing jumping out.

The UK isnt part of the EU so the date of 19th is moot, they arent part of the DCC.
    The UK is allowing arrivals from Ireland without quarantine.
    you wont count as vaccinated until 7 days after your 2nd does (2 weeks after is its AZ)
    You DO NOT need a test to fly to the UK if you are coming from Ireland. (The airline itself may require a test)

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

When you do not need to provide a negative COVID-19 test
    You do not need a test if you’re travelling:

within the UK, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey
    from Ireland
    from Ascension, Falkland Islands, St Helena and Myanmar
    Children under 11 do not need a test.

There are other reasons you might not need a test, for example:

you have a job on the ‘exempt jobs’ list
    you’re travelling to the UK for medical reasons
    you’re travelling from a country where you cannot access testing facilities

nothing has been officially mentioned, but rumours are:

Ire to UK - No change, nothing needed to enter the UK (not sure if the guards will potentially be asking your reason for visit in Ireland)

UK to Ire - depends if Ireland do the EU rules or throw some of their own in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Thanks for this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can my UK based brother (with both shots) fly back to Ireland for a few days without any sort of penalty? Want to play a golf trip with my dad, and keeping it in Ireland for now.

Guessing it'll be reliant on the digital passport thing or there'd be mandatory quarantines?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I want to travel back from UK to Ireland end of July. Have 1 jab.
    Am I correct in saying I'll need a PCR test and quarantine for 5 days, then take a free test then I'm free to roam?

Kiith wrote: »
    Can my UK based brother (with both shots) fly back to Ireland for a few days without any sort of penalty? Want to play a golf trip with my dad, and keeping it in Ireland for now.

Guessing it'll be reliant on the digital passport thing or there'd be mandatory quarantines?

There's a 14 day quarantine on arrivals from the UK. Vaccinated people can test and release day 5.

Uk arent in DCC so it doesn't apply.

Panthro wrote: »
    I want to travel back from UK to Ireland end of July. Have 1 jab.
    Am I correct in saying I'll need a PCR test and quarantine for 5 days, then take a free test then I'm free to roam?

1 jab means you are unvavcinated. You can't test and release until day 10 if coming from UK. 5 is for vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    There's a 14 day quarantine on arrivals from the UK. Vaccinated people can test and release day 5.

Uk arent in DCC so it doesn't apply.

I don't think vaccinated people can test and release Day 5 if they are from a Delta variant area (ie: UK), but double check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Multipass wrote: »
    Anyone flown out of Knock recently, just wondering what the situation is with the Gestapo there?
    (Btw 5euro flights On Ryanair until midnight tonight - makes the pcr test affordable)
    I asked a similar question myself about Shannon a few pages back but no answer. €5 flights from there too

Slovakia did not prevent citizens or residents entry when the borders were closed.

Yes, they did. Go back to thread number 1 where I discussed it with Valharra already. I have a Slovakian tenant who was only allowed enter when her father had a stroke. It was short lived but yes, having a passport did not grant you entry unless it was essential AND you had to quarantine.
    Valhallapt wrote: »
    Non essential travel into Spain is allowed from Ireland by Spanish authorities.

Also on the return trip they will not be fined and given 28days to pay before getting a court summons which may result in up to one months imprisonment.

Im well aware of that, I am the one that most recently spoke about travelling to Spain.

How does this address my statement about foreign nationals that live in Ireland being subject to a fine under Irish law and Spain previously stopping Spanish citizens at the Gibraltar border?
    Right now he has the right to return and come back with a DCC based on his travel plans after July 19th
    Indeed whatever legitimate excuse he gives today if he goes before the 19th will be irrelevant on his return with a DCC and as of now,a right to return to Ireland with that DCC he has

What are you talking about? Right to return is a right under international law. Its nothing to do with the 19th. He has NO right to leave Ireland to holiday in Spain based purely on his passport. Hes subject to the fine just as the Irish are. Same in Spain, the Irish living there are subject to the same travel restrictions as the Spanish. Again, been there, done tha and only allowed board my flight when I proved it was essential travel, as in I work in Ireland. Both at my starting point and in Madrid I was stopped and questioned and I wasnt even leaving the airport in Madrid

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I asked a similar question myself about Shannon a few pages back but no answer. €5 flights from there too

Perhaps if there was a Garda here who knew the answer, the might answer if asked politely instead of called names.

This thread in general shows that the fines have not been enforced to the full extent and flexibility has always applied. Book the flight for after the 19th and pay the PCR charge to come back, will be about 50 or 60 euro if you are going to the Islands I believe. Less touristy areas are charging more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Yes, they did. Go back to thread number 1 where I discussed it with Valharra already. I have a Slovakian tenant who was only allowed enter when her father had a stroke. It was short lived but yes, having a passport did not grant you entry unless it was essential AND you had to quarantine.
    I’m genuinely surprised with this. I live in Slovakia and didn’t know this happened so I’ll have to go back and check this. Do you know when it was?

Advertisement