Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don't believe for a second that our failure to introduce the EU travel scheme from today is in any way related to the hack on the HSE.

But let's suppose it is true - then, if so, FG are basically telling us that due to 10+ years of cuts and neglect in the public services (which involve using out of date PCs/software) you're stuck until July 18th. . . . . Or supposedly!

It’s not the cause of the delay to later in July but if the hack issues aren’t resolved by then there won’t be an Irish participation in the DCC by July 19th.

I know of people in the HSE who are still twiddling their thumbs due to the hack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

VG31 wrote: »
    It seems that Germany still classifies most of Ireland as a "basic risk-area" so there is a 10 day quarantine. So much for the DCC.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus/current-information-for-travellers.html

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

EDIT: It appears if you're vaccinated or recovered from covid you don't have to quarantine. It still goes against the DCC by making people with negative tests quarantine though.

This is because Ireland is not sharing data for the reopen EU site due to the hack. Ireland is grey on the map so countries are entitled to treat Ireland as a risk country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I am also happy to wait for you to explain why you think your statement disproves any of what I said.

Do you not agree that it is lucky that the state sold its share if it is not going to survive (as the poster I was responding to claimed?).

But its going to survive precisely because the state is going to financially prop it up, as expressed very clearly in the quote I provided.

And as the state sold its share the current shareholders will be the financial beneficiaries of any tax payer funded bailout .

Sure is lucky alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

July 1st and obviously we’re not ready to launch the DCC. What are the chances that by July 19th we’ll be up and running?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ryanair-slams-government-for-being-paddy-last-with-digital-covid-certs-1150003.html

This guy from the Indo on the government payroll? He does nothing to justify his scaremongering headline in relation to travel. He’s also wildly incorrect

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rumbles-from-eu-suggest-tighter-covid-travel-curbs-may-follow-40600511.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

faceman wrote: »
    This guy from the Indo on the government payroll? He does nothing to justify his scaremongering headline in relation to travel. He’s also wildly incorrect

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rumbles-from-eu-suggest-tighter-covid-travel-curbs-may-follow-40600511.html

Government / NPHET led article for sure. Instead of a positive article about the Covid Cert, it’s all doom & gloom from Ireland. Pathetic stuff. They should be helping people get it & safely resume travel.

“ This week Spain, Portugal and Malta tightened restrictions for UK tourists. Greece did the same for vaccinated arrivals from 53 countries, including Russia. Both the UK and Russia have sharply rising Delta cases.

Today the EU launches its digital travel certificate to make travel smoother for residents who are fully vaccinated, or have a negative test result, or have recovered from Covid-19, to travel within the 27 member-bloc.

Irish sunseekers must beware the risk of enforced sudden plan changes.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

So it happened. The DCC is now in operation meaning European travellers can use it to come and holiday here at leisure. Meanwhile, Irish European citizens are subject to a €2000 fine for leaving.

This has to be illegal under EU legislation. Can someone tell me the date for renewal of the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres no mention that for some unknown reason unvaccinated people from the UK could travel without ANY test to some if not all of those countries and now they need a test, like the rest of us needed.

So its not a panic knee jerk reaction thats a sure sign that the sky is falling in, its making the brits have the same rules as the rest of us.

I would agree that you cant be 100% sure of the rules in advance, but even without Covid you cant be sure a thunderstorm will close an airport or when (not if) the French launch a random strike. Its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tazz T wrote: »
    So it happened. The DCC is now in operation meaning European travellers can use it to come and holiday here at leisure. Meanwhile, Irish European citizens are subject to a €2000 fine for leaving.

This has to be illegal under EU legislation. Can someone tell me the date for renewal of the fine?

5th July, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I don't believe for a second that our failure to introduce the EU travel scheme from today is in any way related to the hack on the HSE.

But let's suppose it is true - then, if so, FG are basically telling us that due to 10+ years of cuts and neglect in the public services (which involve using out of date PCs/software) you're stuck until July 18th. . . . . Or supposedly!

It's a bit like that one kid in the classroom who didn't get their homework in on time, and then try and come up with a lame excuse for why it's not done, embarrassing stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Zebra3 wrote: »
    5th July, I think.

If it hasn't already been extended to the 18th then it will be shortly.

"Government advice to avoid non-essential travel, and related penalties will remain in place until 18 July. As and from 19 July this will be changed to advise citizens to travel safely and in accordance with public health guidance and restrictions."

Tazz T wrote: »

The fact that the fine is in place exposes the lie that the delay has anything to do with the hack

faceman wrote: »

What specifically is he incorrect about?
    MICHEÁL Martin has publicly acknowledged how Ireland by now has the toughest anti-Covid measures in the EU. But, in a bid for companionship in misery, he has said this may not be the situation for very long.

The sad part for everyone yearning for "big-picture Covid good news” is early signals from mainland Europe suggest the Taoiseach may be right about that one.

The EU's "sun countries” - notably Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus and Malta - now face a dilemma of choosing between eased restrictions yielding more tourists or the rapid spread of the Delta variant.

Last Friday at an EU leaders' summit in Brussels, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez pushed back against German Chancellor Angela Merkel's demands for standard Covid travel safeguards. Mr Sanchez's view was shared by his fellow sun state leaders as the stakes are high.

In 2019, the last full year before the pandemic, OECD figures showed overseas tourists accounted for 10pc of economic output in Portugal and Greece and almost 6pc in Spain. In their desire to attract tourists, Spain and Portugal in May lifted most testing and quarantine restrictions on arrivals from countries such as the UK.

Holidaymakers from the UK are a big issue on both sides of the argument. In an average year, the UK is Spain's biggest source of visitors, accounting for 18 million in 2019. That compares with 11 million each from Germany and France, the second and third-ranked countries for tourists to Spain.

Such numbers explain the anxieties expressed by Chancellor Merkel given the rapid spread of the Delta variant in Britain.

By the end of August, EU health officials expect 90pc of Covid cases to be the Delta strain that first emerged in India.

Chancellor Merkel pointed out all UK travellers arriving in Germany had to quarantine and argued the same should happen across the EU.

Portugal had lifted restrictions on British tourists on May 17 shortly before the UK government added the country to its "green list”. But three weeks later, the UK removed Portugal from the list, prompting many tourists to return early to avoid quarantining.

A surge in infections has given Portugal one of Europe's highest Covid levels, prompting it to impose weekend bans on travel to and from Lisbon. Germany had already added the country to its list of "coronavirus variant countries” and banned most travellers from the country except German residents, who must quarantine on their return.

Despite shrugging off the German calls, authorities in Portugal, Spain and Greece are now responding to a fast-changing issue.

This week Spain, Portugal and Malta tightened restrictions for UK tourists. Greece did the same for vaccinated arrivals from 53 countries, including Russia. Both the UK and Russia have sharply rising Delta cases.

Today the EU launches its digital travel certificate to make travel smoother for residents who are fully vaccinated, or have a negative test result, or have recovered from Covid-19, to travel within the 27 member-bloc.

Irish holidaymakers must beware the risk of enforced sudden plan changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If it hasn't already been extended to the 18th then it will be shortly.

"Government advice to avoid non-essential travel, and related penalties will remain in place until 18 July. As and from 19 July this will be changed to advise citizens to travel safely and in accordance with public health guidance and restrictions."

Where is this from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If I was to post what I really want to say I'd end up banned, such a shower :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Foreign tourists and visitors will no longer be eligible for free Covid tests in France, the government has announced, blaming a "lack of reciprocity" from other countries.
    Visitors who need a Covid test while in France – including a travel test to return home – will from July 7th have to pay for it. However, prices are capped at €49 for a PCR test or €29 for the rapid-result antigen test (known as a lateral flow test in some countries).

Tests for residents will continue to be free, including tests for travel.

“It’s a matter of reciprocity, knowing that French people who travel have to pay for tests in most countries,” government spokesman Gabriel Atta said in an interview with Les Echos newspaper.

Not long announced. Here in Switzerland a PCR test is roughly 150CHF. Count your lucky stars that Randox do tests in Ireland for as little as they do.

Regarding geo blocking..
    If and it's a big if, the DCC goes live on the 19th and it's through some new hse App, will you be able to download that app while abroad?

You might need a VPN set to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Regarding geo blocking..
    If and it's a big if, the DCC goes live on the 19th and it's through some new hse App, will you be able to download that app while abroad?

app downloads can't be geoblocked i.e. you can always access and download from the Irish app store when abroad. but once you enter the app, the service may be geoblocked.
    you can get a good VPN on a 7-day free trial to change your IP address to Ireland though, that's pretty easy

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Foreign tourists and visitors will no longer be eligible for free Covid tests in France, the government has announced, blaming a "lack of reciprocity" from other countries.
    Visitors who need a Covid test while in France – including a travel test to return home – will from July 7th have to pay for it. However, prices are capped at €49 for a PCR test or €29 for the rapid-result antigen test (known as a lateral flow test in some countries).

Tests for residents will continue to be free, including tests for travel.

“It’s a matter of reciprocity, knowing that French people who travel have to pay for tests in most countries,” government spokesman Gabriel Atta said in an interview with Les Echos newspaper.

Not long announced. Here in Switzerland a PCR test is roughly 150CHF. Count your lucky stars that Randox do tests in Ireland for as little as they do.

I'd feel more lucky if our government allowed the use of the huge testing capacity which is currently not even close to full to be used for testing for travel, just as the French do, however, given the fine for travel, it'll happen when pigs fly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Regarding geo blocking..

I am hoping maybe my optimistic nature isnt wrong that you'll be able to download access it prior to 18th but that it won't work until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

The fact that the fine is in place exposes the lie that the delay has anything to do with the hack

Donnelly just said on newstalk that the 19th was chosen because we are the most cautious in Europe so nothing to do with the hack

Regarding geo blocking..

So when your abroad and you get a test to return home, do you then log onto the hse site to get the DCC?

pc7 wrote: »
    I am hoping maybe my optimistic nature isnt wrong that you'll be able to download access it prior to 18th but that it won't work until then.

In Spain,the app was available to download yesterday but the covid cert only became available on it after midnight

fm wrote: »
    So when your abroad and you get a test to return home, do you then log onto the hse site to get the DCC?

Thats a good question! How do you upload a foreign providers covid result to the DCC app and how is it verified

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

fm wrote: »
    Donnelly just said on newstalk that the 19th was chosen because we are the most cautious in Europe so nothing to do with the hack

An attempt to keep people from spending their hard earned money abroad. That’s all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Thats a good question! How do you upload a foreign providers covid result to the DCC app and how is it verified

If you are getting a test in the foreign country before returning home, surely that’s all you would need? Not the DCC? Wouldn’t the PCR test be enough to enter Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Solobally8 wrote: »
    If you are getting a test in the foreign country before returning home, surely that’s all you would need? Not the DCC? Wouldn’t the PCR test be enough to enter Ireland?

Yes a negative PCR is sufficient. It does not have to be a DCC.

See here under "Summary for people arriving from the EU": https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/digital_covid_certificate.html#

Interestingly, you can enter the Netherlands from most EU countries including Ireland without a test or quarantine.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry

Zebra3 wrote: »
    An attempt to keep people from spending their hard earned money abroad. That’s all it is.

That's the benefit of the anti travel agenda in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The fully vaxxed family member I spoke about here arrived from the UK this morning. Will be great to see him :)

Advertisement