Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Solobally8 wrote: »
    If you are getting a test in the foreign country before returning home, surely that’s all you would need? Not the DCC? Wouldn’t the PCR test be enough to enter Ireland?

So what’s the point of the DCC then - I thought it was to store all the data for the 3 options to fast track checking at borders etc as well as allow travel

funnydoggy wrote: »
    The fully vaxxed family member I spoke about here arrived from the UK this morning. Will be great to see him :)

any snags? did they need a PCR or was their NHS vax card taken as proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

any snags? did they need a PCR or was their NHS vax card taken as proof?

He took a PCR test in the UK yesterday, came back negative but I'm not sure about his experience yet. I think it was plain sailing. Won't meet him until later in the afternoon, but I'll be sure to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Zebra3 wrote: »
    An attempt to keep people from spending their hard earned money abroad. That’s all it is.

Probably more about keeping Nyphet happy, who, incidentally are still recommending that only the vaccinated should travel after 19th. So the gov will have to either have to reject that recommendation or reject the DCC in their meeting next Tuesday. It's not until then when we'll finally see the real detail of what will happen on the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Tazz T wrote: »
    Probably more about keeping Nyphet happy, who, incidentally are still recommending that only the vaccinated should travel after 19th. So the gov will have to either have to reject that recommendation or reject the DCC in their meeting next Tuesday. It's not until then when we'll finally see the real detail of what will happen on the 19th.

That really does not bode well for DCC in Ireland as we all know which side the government will fall on recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What specifically is he incorrect about?

The headline is incorrect. There are no “rumbles from EU that tighter travel curbs may follow”. “Early signals from Europe” do not suggest a rollback. The U.K. is not part of the EU and there is pushback on entry from there. But that’s about it.

Merkel’s desire was that the bloc adapts a consistent approach to all non EU countries, specially referring to the U.K. most countries have tighten restrictions on U.K. travellers

The German restriction on travel to Portugal is a completely political move. This has been widely discussed in European news sources.

The article author is inaccurate, misleading and fudging facts to suit his narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Can someone explain to what degree can Ireland actually deviate from the EU DCC having signed up to implement it ? And also having committed to having it ready to go from July 19th ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to what degree can Ireland actually deviate from the EU DCC having signed up to implement it ? And also having committed to having it ready to go from July 19th ?

Ireland has to implement it by august 12th latest

A potential silver lining on US/EU travel. The EU is currently in the discussions for the US to recognise the DCC

Regarding geo blocking..
    If and it's a big if, the DCC goes live on the 19th and it's through some new hse App, will you be able to download that app while abroad?

You might need a VPN set to Ireland

Plain aul Hola is enough

• Advertisement

IF they decide to deviate from it by still requiring quarantine for example, they must advise all other member states and explain why. I lack faith that this really means anything more than finger wagging.

As it is, EU just opened more but here we are, blindly looking for the light switch

funnydoggy wrote: »
    He took a PCR test in the UK yesterday, came back negative but I'm not sure about his experience yet. I think it was plain sailing. Won't meet him until later in the afternoon, but I'll be sure to ask.

brilliant, can you ask whether it was a NHS or private test also?

Will be in a similar boat in a few weeks

faceman wrote: »
    This guy from the Indo on the government payroll? He does nothing to justify his scaremongering headline in relation to travel. He’s also wildly incorrect

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rumbles-from-eu-suggest-tighter-covid-travel-curbs-may-follow-40600511.html

The Indo isnt on any payroll. Its just a rag. Plain and simple. It hasnt been a newspaper of any worth in over a decade at least but for some strange reason, people still think its a reliable source

It must be a private travel test. Actually very pricey in the UK. Highest I have encountered so far.

The Indo isnt on any payroll. Its just a rag. Plain and simple. It hasnt been a newspaper of any worth in over a decade at least but for some strange reason, people still think its a reliable source

The biggest advertiser on news media over the past 15+ months has been the government. During an era of falling advertising revenues and dwindling media sales, it’s difficult not to see what influence the government has with the press. Particular when we see how certain columnists have been gagged in the past months.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Zebra3 wrote: »
    An attempt to keep people from spending their hard earned money abroad. That’s all it is.

Which has completely failed. Numerous stories of people cancelling their staycations here to head abroad because of the failure to open up restaurants and bars indoors here. That said im hearing and reading a lot of stories about folk just sick to death of all the covid talk here, yellow distancing signs, constant in your face all the time and they just want away from it.

faceman wrote: »
    Ireland has to implement it by august 12th latest

That is my understanding too.
    If that is the case then Ireland can't insist on fully vaccinated only being allowed to travel, can they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Which has completely failed. Numerous stories of people cancelling their staycations here to head abroad because of the failure to open up restaurants and bars indoors here. That said im hearing and reading a lot of stories about folk just sick to death of all the covid talk here, yellow distancing signs, constant in your face all the time and they just want away from it.

Same, see lots of SM posts on it in the last day or so, also know 2 real-life families who've cancelled here to head to Spain instead, fair play in my view, they're giving us no encouragement at all now, just more BS.

What an embarrassment today is for the whole nation. The rest of the EU up and running and here we are paddy last the only country without the cert up and running. Pathetic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Surprised nobody here has copped that the DCC just got a rocket up it's ar5e here.. they are obviously going to try to leverage the same cert, or at least the same underlying technology/data, in order to provide a domestic cert for indoor dining etc. The DCC just jumped up the priority list of things to get done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

dalyboy wrote: »
    That really does not bode well for DCC in Ireland as we all know which side the government will fall on recommendations.

Yeah, but Ireland has signed up for it. They must let in European citizens under the terms. While allowing that, they may be able to argue that only allowing vaccinated Irish out is within the remit of the DCC. They can also use the emergency break (although that is supposed to be for countries outside the EU) due to a rise in cases from delta.

We won't know until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

That is my understanding too.
    If that is the case then Ireland can't insist on fully vaccinated only being allowed to travel, can they ?

Really unsure how they ever could tbh, I'd be hoping for a test case to be taken, discrimination based on medical history would be something of a concern, what's next???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Yeah, but Ireland has signed up for it. They must let in European citizens under the terms. While allowing that, they may be able to argue that only allowing vaccinated Irish out is within the remit of the DCC. They can also use the emergency break (although that is supposed to be for countries outside the EU) due to a rise in cases from delta.

We won't know until next week.

Is the emergency brake not agreed at an EU level?

spockety wrote: »
    Surprised nobody here has copped that the DCC just got a rocket up it's ar5e here.. they are obviously going to try to leverage the same cert, or at least the same underlying technology/data, in order to provide a domestic cert for indoor dining etc. The DCC just jumped up the priority list of things to get done.

My concern is that they (Govt/NPHET) want to restrict indoor dining and travel to vaccinated people only and who knows what else.
    But the DCC allows for unvaccinated people with negative test results.

Yeah, but Ireland has signed up for it. They must let in European citizens under the terms. While allowing that, they may be able to argue that only allowing vaccinated Irish out is within the remit of the DCC.

I would really like to know the answer to that

My concern is that they (Govt/NPHET) want to restrict indoor dining and travel to vaccinated people only and who knows what else.
    But the DCC allows for unvaccinated people with negative test results.

Watch this space. Between now and i'd say around the 15th of July you will be getting a message from our NPHET overlords that only fully vaccinated will be allowed access to the cert on the 19th.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Politically, discrimination between vaccinated and unvaccinated is just too hot a potato. I think what you'll see is even more of a push to incorporate Antigen testing scenarios, and definitely validity around use of PCR for access to travel and indoor dining etc.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Watch this space. Between now and i'd say around the 15th of July you will be getting a message from our NPHET overlords that only fully vaccinated will be allowed access to the cert on the 19th.

I am afraid that you may be right. I really hope that you are wrong. Which is why I want to find out if having signed up to the DCC, can Ireland do that ?

spockety wrote: »
    Politically, discrimination between vaccinated and unvaccinated is just too hot a potato. I think what you'll see is even more of a push to incorporate Antigen testing scenarios, and definitely validity around use of PCR for access to travel and indoor dining etc.

I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Private :)

Advertisement