Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

SusanC10 wrote: »
    My concern is that they (Govt/NPHET) want to restrict indoor dining and travel to vaccinated people only and who knows what else.
    But the DCC allows for unvaccinated people with negative test results.
    This is hopeful isn't it
    Indoor dining in Moscow is done via an app and QR code

But people aren't going to their nearest test centre maybe 100s of kms away for indoor dining
    It'll work in cities but not in towns or country

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I am afraid that you may be right. I really hope that you are wrong. Which is why I want to find out if having signed up to the DCC, can Ireland do that ?

I'm not sure legally if they can but you can be positive they are putting more effort into the legal side of things to be able to do it than they are implementing it fully by the 19th.

I'm also thinking NPHET and the government are hoping between now and the 19th case numbers shoot up so they can use that as an excuse to pull the plug entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This is hopeful isn't it
    Indoor dining in Moscow is done via an app and QR code

But people aren't going to their nearest test centre maybe 100s of kms away for indoor dining
    It'll work in cities but not in towns or country

recognising that in the @rse end of the country theres no chemist or test centre offering certified antigen tests, in some areas of Germany it was also allowed for places to supervise you doing an antigen self test yourself on the spot and then you are ok to visit their shop/ restaurant/ hotel with a negative test.

At this stage an antigen test is 80c in the shops, and Lidl is giving them out for free with a tenner of groceries, so neither cost nor supply should be an issue getting this thing up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Any issue with travelling to the North now? have a 1 night trip booked with my daughter on Sunday. The advice on the NI website is to have a PCR test. Doesn't seem to be mandatory.

Just walked by Meaghers in Fairview who had a delivery of kegs going in and come home to read the article about the passports.

Those elected and unelected in positions to get us out of this mess have become an utter shambles.

The HSE hack is because of legacy laziness in the organisation and I do not believe a workaround could not be in place now. Blaming the lack of passports on the hack is fooking pathetic.

We see right through the lies and deflection directed at the public. Truly pathetic. All the good grace and confidence I had has been eroded in the past 6 months.

• Advertisement

It must be a private travel test. Actually very pricey in the UK. Highest I have encountered so far.

How much did you see them for?

Why are rags like the Journal and RTE running with the cyber attack being the reason behind us being the laggard of Europe? Donnelly himself has stated this isn't the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

TefalBrain wrote: »
    What an embarrassment today is for the whole nation. The rest of the EU up and running and here we are paddy last the only country without the cert up and running. Pathetic.

Paddy Last.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

starkid wrote: »
    Any issue with travelling to the North now? have a 1 night trip booked with my daughter on Sunday. The advice on the NI website is to have a PCR test. Doesn't seem to be mandatory.

Doubt anyone is doing a pcr test to cross the invisible border.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

According to a report this morning on one of the radio programmes the train from Connolly to Belfast was full last Tuesday with young people travelling up.

Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

cool thanks. Ah yeah i mean i know its just the advice is all over the shop on government and citizens info. Probably on purpose to cause people like me not to bother. YEah i will thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

latest Euro travel map is up and Ireland is providing data despite their hacking issues.

So, a picture telling a thousand words, Ireland is not the top of the class here either, despite travel bans, movement bans, Hotel detentions, incoming PCR tests, longest lockdown in the EU etc etc.

2021w25_COVID19_EU_EEA_Subnational_Combined_traffic_0.png?itok=R5_pXNGu

cool thanks. Ah yeah i mean i know its just the advice is all over the shop on government and citizens info. Probably on purpose to cause people like me not to bother. YEah i will thanks

You hit the nail on the head. Other European nations have had clear accurate campaigns for it's citizens in regards the green pass and how to go about obtaining it. Our lot have gone out of their way to make it hard and confusing to prevent anyone from leaving even to Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Septic staff. Soon, Tony will want everyone coming from the North to have PCR test and quarantine for 10 days before they can enjoy our outdoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I have to post this here (I posted it in another thread too) because it's so astounding.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1410586796111667201?s=20

67% 1-Dose would put us ahead of Israel, the UK and the US and second ONLY to Canada.

45% 2-Dose is about equal to the US and the UK.

Kind of mad that we still have one of the strictest lockdowns/restrictions in the western world. You have to applaud the vaccine effort, but it raises the question as to what exactly is the endgame here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,962 ✭✭✭✭josip

latest Euro travel map is up and Ireland is providing data despite their hacking issues.

So, a picture telling a thousand words, Ireland is not the top of the class here either, despite travel bans, movement bans, Hotel detentions, incoming PCR tests, longest lockdown in the EU etc etc.

In mid May, Ireland and Iberia were doing slightly better than mainland Europe.
    But although every country has been relaxing restrictions since then and most countries have seen a reduction in cases, Ireland and Iberia have been treading water.
    I can only assume that this is due to the prevalence of Delta from the UK and not because our citizens are less law abiding than other countries.

dnJPWyn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I have to post this here (I posted it in another thread too) because it's so astounding.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1410586796111667201?s=20

67% 1-Dose would put us ahead of Israel, the UK and the US and second ONLY to Canada.

45% 2-Dose is about equal to the US and the UK.

Kind of mad that we still have one of the strictest lockdowns/restrictions in the western world. You have to applaud the vaccine effort, but it raises the question as to what exactly is the endgame here

This is of the Adult population not the overall population.
    What % of Ireland's population is under 18?

Israel, US and to the best of my knowledge Canada have started vaccination of children aged 12+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Would people pay for a PCR or Antigen Test just to eat or drink indoors. assuming not full vaccinated. Doubt any of these tests would be subsidised

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

This is of the Adult population not the overall population.
    What % of Ireland's population is under 18?

Israel, US and to the best of my knowledge Canada have started vaccination of children aged 12+.

Approx 25% are under 18 here, 3.7m adults. The UK is 85% and 62% of the adult population .

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

votecounts wrote: »
    Would people pay for a PCR or Antigen Test just to eat or drink indoors. assuming not full vaccinated. Doubt any of these tests would be subsidised

I wouldn't and what would be the expected life of this testing scenario?

It would surely only be in place for a couple of months before we have enough vaccinated to no longer need it with many millions spent to implement this temporary measure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

RoryMac wrote: »

It would surely only be in place for a couple of months before we have enough vaccinated to no longer need it with many millions spent to implement this temporary measure!

I wouldn't either, won't be full vaxxed in the near future either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

RoryMac wrote: »

this is going to end up for vaccinated as well at some point - there’ll be some dodgy statistics showing that the next variant can ‘possibly’ evade the vaccine, and we’ll all be under the testing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Over to the UK on the 23rd on the ferry, as its a short weekend I'm really hoping that I don't have to get a PCR to come back to ireland. Since I am fully vacced and should have the digital cert... UK not being in the EU may cause an issue, just not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hundreds-of-thousands-of-covid-certs-to-be-issued-within-weeks-varadkar-1150329.html

I joked a while back that they would use an post to deliver the covid certs....... i joked lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Over to the UK on the 23rd on the ferry, as its a short weekend I'm really hoping that I don't have to get a PCR to come back to ireland. Since I am fully vacced and should have the digital cert... UK not being in the EU may cause an issue, just not sure.

Do you have the little cardboard certificate thing?
    Better than nothing but a bit strange that that's all they give us.

I'm in the same boat (figuratively, I'll be on a different ferry ;) ) and I'm not 100% what the rules will be by then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

So once its all up and running, will fully vaxxed people entering Ireland from UK still need a PCR test?

(sorry, I'm mad to head home)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Do you have the little cardboard certificate thing?
    Better than nothing but a bit strange that that's all they give us.

I'm in the same boat (figuratively, I'll be on a different ferry ;) ) and I'm not 100% what the rules will be by then

Yes I have the little card that states I've been jabbed (x2)

I just don't want the short weekend break be derailed by me needing to travel to get a PCR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

dashoonage wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hundreds-of-thousands-of-covid-certs-to-be-issued-within-weeks-varadkar-1150329.html

I joked a while back that they would use an post to deliver the covid certs....... i joked lads...

There doesn't seem to be any mention in that article about what you need to do to get the DCC if you are unvaccinated and relying on a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

There doesn't seem to be any mention in that article about what you need to do to get the DCC if you are unvaccinated and relying on a negative test.

I don't think there's anywhere (even here) where you must have a DCC for testing. A general negative test travel certificate should be fine if for some reason you can't get a DCC in time.

"People arriving without a DCC will also need proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/digital_covid_certificate.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just received a reply from the EU over a complaint I lodged about MHQ and the port travel fine some weeks ago. I'm sure the reply was the same to all who complained, but this section is of particular interest:

The Commission understands that Ireland requires travellers coming from a “designated” country to undergo a mandatory hotel quarantine. This measure applies to all passengers, irrespective of nationality. In the latest weeks, the Commission services have been in contact with the Irish authorities to discuss this measure and the criteria used to determine the designated countries. In this framework, the situation seems now to be solved as currently there are no Member States among the countries subject to the mandatory quarantine as Belgium, France and Luxembourg were removed from the list on 28 May 2021. However, the Commission is still monitoring this measure.

In addition, we understand that as from 10 May 2021, it is possible to travel within Ireland without a reasonable excuse. However, we understand that despite such possibility at national level, a travel without reasonable excuse to a port or airport for the purposes of leaving the State is still not allowed and is subject to penalties. Moreover, we take note that this prohibition has been extended until 5 July2021. On that regard, I can inform you that the Commission is in dialogue with the Irish authorities.

Advertisement