Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

Ryanair recently refused a fully vaccinated EU citizen board a plane to another EU country that recognised his vaccination. They are not the warriors to lead any charge.

Other than that, open letters are just PR machines designed to appease your fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

IQO wrote: »

So it's ready to go. They're just delaying it for the craic. EU should move on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Ryanair recently refused a fully vaccinated EU citizen board a plane to another EU country that recognised his vaccination. They are not the warriors to lead any charge.

Other than that, open letters are just PR machines designed to appease your fans

Not saying I doubt you but I'd like to read more about that case, do you have a link?

JMNolan wrote: »
    Not saying I doubt you but I'd like to read more about that case, do you have a link?

LOL - I'll let Niner answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,962 ✭✭✭✭josip

The person in question is very knowledgeable about traveling with regard to Covid restrictions, especially in Ireland, where they would be familiar with all recent legislation. Their veracity would not be in doubt on this thread.

From what I remember of that case, the problem occurred when the traveler transited landside in a UK airport and assumed that the staff would be familiar with the intricacies of multiple national rules and regulations.

It's always better to spend a bit more on PCR, even if the rules say you don't need it and save yourself potential hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

It appears not, I hoped that we would recognise them but we havent

I thought it had been announced some weeks ago that Ireland would be in a position to accept the green cert from other states on July 1st. What has happened? I thought states were at least obliged to accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

agoodpunt wrote: »
    have to wake him up first

He's too busy cleaning his glasses with his mask and lecturing the rest of us about respecting the science.

josip wrote: »
    The person in question is very knowledgeable about traveling with regard to Covid restrictions, especially in Ireland, where they would be familiar with all recent legislation. Their veracity would not be in doubt on this thread.

From what I remember of that case, the problem occurred when the traveler transited landside in a UK airport and assumed that the staff would be familiar with the intricacies of multiple national rules and regulations.

It's always better to spend a bit more on PCR, even if the rules say you don't need it and save yourself potential hassle.

A genius in other words who admittedly, now completely agrees with you :)
    I thought it had been announced some weeks ago that Ireland would be in a position to accept the green cert from other states on July 1st. What has happened? I thought states were at least obliged to accept it?

We elected to delay. I was hoping that we were just delaying the issuing of them but it appears we just aren't opting in at all until the 19th

I hope never to have a link as that would mean they didn't just accept my complaint and instead argued more.
    Tazz T wrote: »
    So it's ready to go. They're just delaying it for the craic. EU should move on this.

Move on what? We said we weren't doing it until the 19th. That's the deal. There's no requirement for us to accept it yet.

It's a sad statement and one that baffles me but that's still that.

At least my next journey only requires my little hse card going out and I deleted my return until after the 19th so it would be accepted coming back (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Delta is on the rise across Europe, by the time the DGC is implemented it’ll be too late for a meaningful summer holiday for most. Most pubs in the Algarve have to close by 3.30pm Saturday and Sunday at 10.30 pm other days for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

faceman wrote: »
    Looking at the reopen EU chart and things have taken a turn. My part of Spain has gone from Green to Red in a week. Cases have gone up here BUT when you look at the data the bulk of cases related to the younger than 30 age group. There was a cohort of students from the region who had an end of term trip to Mallorca and 100 of them contracted Covid there.

However despite this double/tripling of cases in certain areas of the region, hospitalisations are flat or falling.

There isn't a sense of panic in the media though.

Just saw on the news there the mention of, maybe, a fifth wave...

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Delta is on the rise across Europe, by the time the DGC is implemented it’ll be too late for a meaningful summer holiday for most. Most pubs in the Algarve have to close by 3.30pm Saturday and Sunday at 10.30 pm other days for the next few weeks.

Cases are meaningless, especially ours with some people getting tested more than once in a single day (you'd have to wonder has that anything to do with us still being amber despite having more severe restrictions than other countries). Hospitalisations are the key stat to keep an eye on. Very few 20 somethings are being hospitalised in the UK and the plan to roll out the J&J to 18 to 30 year olds through the pharmacies here (one of the brighter ideas the powers that be have had) should make some impact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Thankfully bar Merkel ppl arent obsessed with case numbers when their population are vaxxed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

In what way is it discimination? It applies to all persons equally and doesnt fall within any of the 9 discrimination grounds
    I would say it is discriminatory because we fully respect the rights of EU residents (except those of Ireland) to travel freely throughout the zone subject to the entry requirements of those countries due to Covid-19.

If we also fined EU residents for arriving in Ireland without good reason then it would not be discriminatory because the same rules are being applied to non-Irish residents as residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Were you unvaccinated when you went or did SEF recognise the little card as proof of vaccination?

Considering there were court cases here that released fully vaccinated foreigners from MHQ,it is highly highly unlikely that fully hse vaccinated Irish people would be forced to mhq or isolate at all or need a pcr for return

Niner leprauchan are you home ,who did you fly home with and did you need a pcr to board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Marcusm wrote: »
    Were you unvaccinated when you went or did SEF recognise the little card as proof of vaccination?

Unvaccinated, SEF checked the Antigen test results which I got from randox

Considering there were court cases here that released fully vaccinated foreigners from MHQ,it is highly highly unlikely that fully hse vaccinated Irish people would be forced to mhq or isolate at all or need a pcr for return

Niner leprauchan are you home ,who did you fly home with and did you need a pcr to board?

I did indeed require a pcr, locator form and a Test to reduce quarantine.

To be clear, no court case was decided against quarantine. There's a number still before the courts and the law, regardless of the logic, still applies.

I would say it is discriminatory because we fully respect the rights of EU residents (except those of Ireland) to travel freely throughout the zone subject to the entry requirements of those countries due to Covid-19.

If we also fined EU residents for arriving in Ireland without good reason then it would not be discriminatory because the same rules are being applied to non-Irish residents as residents.

The same rules do apply. There's no fine for entering at all. There's a fine for non essential leaving. Going home (both ways fyi) is an essential reason.

Earlier in the thread up were given examples of countries only allowing citizens to enter but not eu nationals. How's that work into your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

MHQ situation is clear for vaccinated (EU and non EU) but both the others are required atm for fully vaccinated. I asked pretty much knowing the answer and the DGC just confirms which of the three you have. I should be able to check in the real world next week but will have the PCR in any case and the 19th is hardly much after that.

[just to be clear vaccinated still have to do home quarantine with 5 day test from any country, everyone needs pcr to enter Ireland and have to do the same on entry, until 19th] MHQ is for the listed countries and those with no PCR

The same rules do apply. There's no fine for entering at all. There's a fine for non essential leaving. Going home (both ways fyi) is an essential reason.

Earlier in the thread up were given examples of countries only allowing citizens to enter but not eu nationals. How's that work into your theory?
    My argument that it is discriminatory still holds as far as I can see. That other countries are discriminating against non-national EU citizens in favour of their own does not detract from the the argument that Ireland is discriminating against its own residents in favour of non-resident EU citizens. It is just more egregious in Ireland's case in that what other countries are doing is in favour of their own residents while protecting themselves against Covid-19.

• Advertisement

I did indeed require a pcr, locator form and a Test to reduce quarantine.

To be clear, no court case was decided against quarantine. There's a number still before the courts and the law, regardless of the logic, still applies.

Yes but a number of people did get the courts to release them from mhq as they were fully vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Yes but a number of people did get the courts to release them from mhq as they were fully vaccinated

Think it was more the state didn't contest the cases which would suggest they were not so confident of their case but not sure there have been any rulings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My father's a healthcare worker - was informed by email today he'll be receiving his EU digital cert by post in the next 10 days.

Surprised they needed to go to court as:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/hotel_quarantine.html
    "If you are fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine and have the documents to prove that, you do not have to complete mandatory hotel quarantine on arrival in Ireland. Any dependents travelling with you, including children, will also be exempted from the requirement to complete mandatory hotel quarantine."
    Though this might be a more recent exemption.

It was at the start of mhq

My father's a healthcare worker - was informed by email today he'll be receiving his EU digital cert by post in the next 10 days.

😱😱😱

mmclo wrote: »
    MHQ is for the listed countries and those with no PCR
    Although I think the point is moot with regards to PCR as you can't board a plane to Ireland currently without a negative PCR and if you have a negative PCR, they don't ask for your vaccination status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

How do they send a *digital* Cert in the post ?
    Surely *digital* means electronically?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ACE can I ask was he done in work, MVC or a GP if you don't mind?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My argument that it is discriminatory still holds as far as I can see. That other countries are discriminating against non-national EU citizens in favour of their own does not detract from the the argument that Ireland is discriminating against its own residents in favour of non-resident EU citizens. It is just more egregious in Ireland's case in that what other countries are doing is in favour of their own residents while protecting themselves against Covid-19.

It’s a valid argument but nothing will come out of it. For quite a long period Spain discriminated against their own people when it came to travel. Citizens couldn’t travel between regions but EU citizens could fly to any part of Spain. The EU raised it with the Spanish government but nothing came out of it. No penalties, no court cases no fine.

The Irish government can pretty much do what they want regardless of what the EU says.

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    How do they send a *digital* Cert in the post ?
    Surely *digital* means electronically?

The QR code is digital

Advertisement