Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Card Christmas 2019 Expired...

• 01-06-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

My sister received a Gift Card for a shopping centre for Christmas 2019.
    When she went to use it at the weekend, there was no money on the card. She has since found out that it has expired. It was for €50.
    Is that it?
    I read somewhere that they do not expire anymore, and mentioned it to her (I'm not fully sure if that is correct), she said she mentioned it to them, and they told her that it only came into effect last year.
    She only got it a week before the year started, and then lockdown started in March. Surely there must be some sort of protection to prevent that from happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Suckit wrote: »
    My sister received a Gift Card for a shopping centre for Christmas 2019.
    When she went to use it at the weekend, there was no money on the card. She has since found out that it has expired. It was for €50.
    Is that it?
    I read somewhere that they do not expire anymore, and mentioned it to her (I'm not fully sure if that is correct), she said she mentioned it to them, and they told her that it only came into effect last year.
    She only got it a week before the year started, and then lockdown started in March. Surely there must be some sort of protection to prevent that from happening?

I'd not imagine so shed 3 and a half months till lockdown then she had 2 intervals when lockdown lifted.

I don't think she has recourse but she could chance her arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

If it was bought in December 2019 these are the new rules "Irish law introduced extra protections for gift vouchers sold on or after 2 December 2019, under the Consumer Protection (Gift Vouchers) Act 2019 (pdf). See ‘New gift vouchers legislation' below."
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/gift_vouchers.html

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

LMHC wrote: »
    I'd not imagine so shed 3 and a half months till lockdown then she had 2 intervals when lockdown lifted.

I don't think she has recourse but she could chance her arm.
    She did, but was unsuccesful.
    I thought I read somewhere a while back that cards/money cannot expire anymore.
    So I don't see how she would be chancing her arm.
    She probably didn't think of it given the state of the opening and closing last year.

con747 wrote: »
    If it was bought in December 2019 these are the new rules "Irish law introduced extra protections for gift vouchers sold on or after 2 December 2019, under the Consumer Protection (Gift Vouchers) Act 2019 (pdf). See ‘New gift vouchers legislation' below."
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/gift_vouchers.html

Ahh.. So if the person that bought it, purchased it after the 2nd of December 2019..
    Not sure how to find that out, maybe ask the person hoping it's easy enough for them to look up.

Thanks. Will definitely get her to look that up. Would have thought time lost last year may have been added to it or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

Ahh.. So if the person that bought it, purchased it after the 2nd of December 2019..
    Not sure how to find that out, maybe ask the person hoping it's easy enough for them to look up.

Thanks. Will definitely get her to look that up. Would have thought time lost last year may have been added to it or similar.

A bank or credit card statement if used should suffice as proof and date of purchase. It would be bad form for the issuer of the card not to offer a token solution even though not legally bound to if sold before 2nd December 2019.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

She has an electronic gift card and therefore the voucher rules don't apply.

Most of these cards have a 12 months period where the full value can be used. After 12 months a charge applies each month.

The dundrum card charges €3 per month.

If the card has a MasterCard or visa symbol you might find it was valid in all stores and online

Darc19 wrote: »
    She has an electronic gift card and therefore the voucher rules don't apply.

Most of these cards have a 12 months period where the full value can be used. After 12 months a charge applies each month.

The dundrum card charges €3 per month.

If the card has a MasterCard or visa symbol you might find it was valid in all stores and online

That's crazy. Electronic gift card doesn't count as voucher is nuts anyway, but if it is also a visa/mastercard and the money expires... :eek: 'kin scam.

That's crazy. Electronic gift card doesn't count as voucher is nuts anyway, but if it is also a visa/mastercard and the money expires... :eek: 'kin scam.

You can spend the ones with MasterCard symbol in any shop in the world that accepts MasterCard.

They also clearly state the charges that apply from month 13.

I was given a Liffey valley card last Christmas. I simply used it in Tesco.

Even if it applied from month 13, assuming she just got charged for June and it was bought in December, there should be €32 on it @ €3 per month after 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My daughter had a €50 Liffey Valley Mastercard received as a gift in late 2019. Was up there the other day and they refunded €3 for each month that the shopping centre was closed. The card has still lost value but that is my fault for not spending it during the 12-month period.

• Advertisement

Even if it applied from month 13, assuming she just got charged for June and it was bought in December, there should be €32 on it @ €3 per month after 12 months.

I reckon it was Dec 2018 which would explain the zero value

Darc19 wrote: »
    I reckon it was Dec 2018 which would explain the zero value
    December 2019. She got the proof of purchase from the buyer on Wednesday.
    December 17th 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Gooser14

She needs to check the card terms & conditions to find out what charges are applied.

Advertisement