Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birch bent over

Options
  • 01-06-2021 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

One of my Himalayan birches has bent over at the top, seems to be just from the weight of new foliage. Instead of forming a "Y" shape, it now looks more like an "r", with the top third or so bent over at 90 degrees. It's very slender, the portion that's bent over is probably about 2m long but only about 2cm in diameter in the thickest section. Got it as a rootballed tree a few years ago, and reduced the height of its stake (was nearly full height) over winter as I thought it was redundant.

Apart from looking wonky, it seems to be growing fine, no sign of stem damage that I can see. The neighbouring (sturdier) birches are all fine.

Should I leave it be, re-stake it or shorten it to prevent the top snapping off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is about 6 -7 ft of the tree bent over? It sounds as though it was staked for too long. Staking is only to support the root ball so it does not move in the ground, the rest of the tree should be free to whip around in the wind which will make for stronger growth.

Having said that, I am not sure what the solution would be. Staking it straight will solve the immediate problem but not improve the tree's strength. I might suggest taking a bit off the top, maybe a metre, and see does it straighten up, but someone else may have a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Not exactly in topic, but this reminds me of several birches in my neighbo(u)rs' yards during the 1998 ice storm in Montreal. Birches are very pliable, and virtually all of the large ones were completely bent to the ground from the weight of the ice. Spectacular, in a dreary sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

If 2/3 of the tree is still straight I'd be inclined to cut off the piece that is after getting bent out of shape and simulate what would happen when the bent piece might be fully snapped off by strong winds at some point in the future. If you leave it there when it is after being permanently damaged so it can no longer stay up straight it may stay looking odd for a very long time. I think I heard that some people top birch trees when they are fairly young to get them to grow in a more bushy shape anyway as they are naturally fairly narrow growing and when tall they do not always stay growing straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I think taking some height off the top (even a metre) might be necessary, otherwise it won't self-straighten. A bendy tree isn't really an aesthetic issue for me, but I'd like to prevent avoidable problems in future.

It probably was staked for too long, or specifically staked too high for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

I would re-train it. Get something sturdy, a thick bamboo cane or similar, and cable tie from lower down up along the trunk to straighten. If left for the growing season the trunk will mature into the bent position, if it's still pliable it's easy to straighten. The cable ties can be removed once the stem hardens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement