Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covered decking/Pergola side protection from rain and wind

Options
  • 02-06-2021 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Recently put a polycarbonate roof over our raised decking area and am now wondering how best to protect the sides from rain being blown into us if, and inevitably when, it starts to pour while we're out enjoying it.

I thought I could fit some neat roller blinds in a waterproof material but from ringing a few companies they don't seem to exist.

Now I'm looking at this kind of thing which I could roll up and let down when required. I'd have hooks to keep it in place.

I'd have to do 2 sides only as the house gives protection on the 2 others.

Any other ideas that wont break the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you want something removable could you get one of those gazebo canvas walls that hook in place. I'm pretty sure I have seen them sold separately to the gazebos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

yeah had considered them but don't fancy them tbh. I'd want them pulled back/open 99% of the time, so feel they'd get in the way the rest of the time. Also worried they'd go mouldy hanging there in the elements.

looksee wrote: »
    If you want something removable could you get one of those gazebo canvas walls that hook in place. I'm pretty sure I have seen them sold separately to the gazebos.

interesting, will investigate further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you have space for them to open back light steel or timber frames faced with the roof material might suit.

You could screw them to the wall and swing them open on hinges when the weather is good.

Hard to say if it would suit without seeing the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is what you need:

This guy is able to keep it usable all year round. He got the side curtains made by a company called Clonmel Covers.

yep, linked to that in my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Got the roll up type from Cunningham Covers. Have to say it is a bit of a pain rolling them up as dictated by the weather and it takes 2 people (mine circa 3.6m long). Horizontal roller blinds for external use might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This guy is able to keep it usable all year round. He got the side curtains made by a company called Clonmel Covers.
    That's great, but it needs gutters. That rain splash is going to plague it otherwise.

• Advertisement

Rain splash can be underestimated but you can see why aesthetically on a pergola type structure you'd be avoiding them.
    Trench with beach pebble is my preferred method.

Rain splash can be underestimated but you can see why aesthetically on a pergola type structure you'd be avoiding them.
    Trench with beach pebble is my preferred method.

Well if you put a roof and permanent walls on a pergola then it becomes a lightly-built extension. :D

There's lots of attractive guttering available. If I was picking something to look nice against weathered wood (i.e. not the brown stained stuff used in the video) I'd probably go for the stainless look.

Apologies for wonky picture, not mine!

Ackerley-5-800x450.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    Well if you put a roof and permanent walls on a pergola then it becomes a lightly-built extension. :D

There's lots of attractive guttering available. If I was picking something to look nice against weathered wood (i.e. not the brown stained stuff used in the video) I'd probably go for the stainless look.

Apologies for wonky picture, not mine!

Ackerley-5-800x450.jpeg

What's the point then. Frankly I see that as just keeping inside inside. Defeats the purpose.

listermint wrote: »
    What's the point then. Frankly I see that as just keeping inside inside. Defeats the purpose.

A proper extension costs many tens of thousands of euros.

I wouldn't be mad keen on all that plastic myself, but I admit it's at least usable for more of the year than a pergola or verandah.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rover365

Could try one of these

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/vidaxl-patio-retractable-side-awning-200x300-cm-anthracite/8720286138540.html

Ive been looking for the same thing as you and ordered one of these. Unfortunatly arrived missing parts so cant comment on how good they are

Rover365 wrote: »
    Could try one of these

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/vidaxl-patio-retractable-side-awning-200x300-cm-anthracite/8720286138540.html

Ive been looking for the same thing as you and ordered one of these. Unfortunatly arrived missing parts so cant comment on how good they are

Keep us posted please, I'll be looking at that type soon.

Advertisement