Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Light Wiring

Options
  • 02-06-2021 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Am in need of help with rewiring a ceiling light which stays on despite everything looking like it should (as per images) can someone tell me by looking at it what could possibly be wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You have most likely wired your Supply live . A the brown cables in the connector into the switched live feed for the light fitting. The switched live should probably be the grey sheated cable currently not attached to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

listermint wrote: »
    You have most likely wired your Supply live . A the brown cables in the connector into the switched live feed for the light fitting. The switched live should probably be the grey sheated cable currently not attached to anything.

Right, because when I connected the one not currently it still didn’t work but I suspect that indeed is the switch wire that needs to go somewhere maybe in with the 3 already connected but am thinking I tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

francie81 wrote: »
    Right, because when I connected the one not currently it still didn’t work but I suspect that indeed is the switch wire that needs to go somewhere maybe in with the 3 already connected but am thinking I tried this?

Francie there is three browns coming out of the ceiling two of them should be in a connector block of their own not connected to the light and one of them should be in a connector connected to the light

It's going to be trial and error which ones are which if you don't have a meter but it should only take a few tries

Edit didn't see the fourth brown
    So there is four browns coming out of the ceiling three of them should be in a connector block of their own not connected to the light and one of them should be in a connector connected to the light

Francie there is three browns coming out of the ceiling two of them should be in a connector block of their own not connected to the light and one of them should be in a connector connected to the light

It's going to be trial and error which ones are which if you don't have a meter but it should only take a few tries

Edit didn't see the fourth brown
    So there is four browns coming out of the ceiling three of them should be in a connector block of their own not connected to the light and one of them should be in a connector connected to the light

Am with you that’s great I will try that and trust this is the issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

There are an awful lot of wires there for a simple light even with loop in.
    Anyway make sure the connections are tight, there is exposed copper visible there.

• Advertisement

alan4cult wrote: »
    Anyway make sure the connections are tight, there is exposed copper visible there.

Feed in
    Feed out
    Feed to switch
    Switch wire

That's fairly standard

alan4cult wrote: »

I completely agree such as to the one of many flaws of a substandard house thank god I don’t own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I completely agree such as to the one of many flaws of a substandard house thank god I don’t own it.

There's actually very little wrong with the actual wiring in the house apart from it being incorrectly terminated.
    The part I find strange is the 5 neutrals and 5 lives going to the light fitting. That definitely doesn't seem right.

aido79 wrote: »
    There's actually very little wrong with the actual wiring in the house apart from it being incorrectly terminated.
    The part I find strange is the 5 neutrals and 5 lives going to the light fitting. That definitely doesn't seem right.

Where do you see the 10 connections or I guess am just confused in the way your wording it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Feed in
    Feed out
    Feed to switch
    Switch wire

That's fairly standard

I count 5 browns to the light fitting. Far from standard.

• Advertisement

Where do you see the 10 connections or I guess am just confused in the way your wording it?

In the photo there are 5 black flexes each with a live and neutral. I presume these are going to the light fitting?

aido79 wrote: »
    In the photo there are 5 black flexes each with a live and neutral. I presume these are going to the light fitting?

From ceiling 3 together and the 1 grey (not connected) which am thinking could be the switch one.

From ceiling 3 together and the 1 grey (not connected) which am thinking could be the switch one.

I would say it's almost definitely not the switch wire. It would be a very unusual way to wire it. If you open up the switch you will be able to confirm this if the other end of the grey cable isn't there.
    Usually switches would be wired in a twin brown so one of the browns brings power to the switch and the other is the switch wire. You have connected both of these browns together so effectively you have bypassed the switch.

Again it seems very strange to all of those black flexes going to one light. What type of light is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

might help others, I've recently been changing light fittings upstairs

poyJDXuaj

pm5s6C5Qj

pojBJ2zqj

Well lads got it sorted thanks to your guidance and yes the obvious issue being a wired live connection to light which just reminded me of how a ceiling pendant looks anyway as you see this is the correct way :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

The future is bright

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

I have a scenario with 4 lives and 2 neutrals on the rose pictured.

The new fitting/ rose doesn't have room for 4 lives in its connector so I plan to put them into 1 strip/ conn blocks then connect the strip to the new rose.
    Does this sound ok?

patspost wrote: »
    I have a scenario with 4 lives and 2 neutrals on the rose pictured.

The new fitting/ rose doesn't have room for 4 lives in its connector so I plan to put them into 1 strip/ conn blocks then connect the strip to the new rose.
    Does this sound ok?

Pat just put the 3 browns in the middle in a connector block and put insulation tape around the connector block. Put the two blues from the ceiling into the blue from your new light and you will have a single brown from the ceiling that is on the right side of the photo to go to the brown on the light fitting.

Make sure the power is off at the fuse board and not just the switch turned off :)

Advertisement