Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making room on steel rafter to hang weight bearing equipment

Options
  • 02-06-2021 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I want to hang a pull up bar from my shed roof rafter, the rafter is too short and wide. I was thinking if I attach a piece of marine plywood to it with 4 steel screws, to widen the area and then attach the pull up bar.

See pictures below, any thoughts?

4mqQ2R.jpg

R2bIMF.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Any Engineering shop will make you 2 brackets that can be bolted onto that Rafter to make the job a lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

I personally wouldn't trust ply for full body weight.
    Are you sure the connector piece shown is up to the job ? Is it a steel box section / u channel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

it looks like the upper beam is 1.5 cm too short which might be fine deepening on the angle it hits the frame at. you will want a sub frame to mount onto the roof beam and mount your pull jig onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe just get the shop to cut the upper supports and weld them to the steel tie. The lower apparatus appears to just bolt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

Lads, thanks for all the advice, I got a local shop to custom make a support for me. I fitted over the weekend, I'm stoked with the way it worked out:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Very tidy looking unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Tidy solution, but you'll have to paint it black to match! ; )

@jack of all I hadn't even thought of that 🙄 But looking in the garage I actually have a half can of black spray paint! I have the pull up bar fitted but it's probably worth taking down and doing right! 11 degrees today and not to be used under 10 I might just get away with it!

@jack of all thanks again for the nudge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great job! 👍

• Advertisement
Advertisement