Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Poor EN, someone throw in the towel, this is like Creed v Drago :o
    rocky-2.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Kolido wrote: »
    In 8th place with 11 points is
    Barna

P.P. Arnold - The First Cut Is The Deepest

Heard the artist: Yes
    Heard the song: Yes

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

I’m not sure if I heard this version before. I’m familiar with the Rod Stewart and Sherly Crow versions. Few positives and negatives for this song. Firstly, it’s a good song but I wouldn’t say great. It has however gone up the rankings the more I listened to it and I have found a new appreciation for this song. I have probably listened to this song more than any other in this round trying to make my mind up about it. I will say, I do prefer the arrangement of the Rod and Sherly version, it is more slower which I think suits the song better. But positively, I really like P.P.s voice and I love the instruments in this version. Musically it is superior. A really though song for me to rate, this could easily be a 4 star but it got 3 here. A good pick that could have been a great pick on another day.

Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Oh I adore that Steve Winwood song. Takes me right back...

Didn't Amy Winehouse cover it?

Amy Winehouse covered a different Valerie I think, was it the original by The Zutons?
    Winwood's Valerie I think there was a dance song that sampled the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

giphy.gif

The last show I went to before Covid hit was some Whitney Houston hologram thing in Bord Gais (in laws had tickets and they couldn't go so we got a free gift). I wouldn't have said I was a major Whitney fan, but seeing all her hits performed together... She was very talented. Some really good songs too!

"All-time great Rocky quote, but I better not quote the image"

;)

Just perfect EN.

*chef's kiss*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

cee_jay wrote: »
    The last show I went to before Covid hit was some Whitney Houston hologram thing in Bord Gais (in laws had tickets and they couldn't go so we got a free gift). I wouldn't have said I was a major Whitney fan, but seeing all her hits performed together... She was very talented. Some really good songs too!

I'm not dissing Whitney (wouldn't really be my cup of tea in the grand scheme of things mind), but Dolly Parton has the far superior version of I Will Always Love You by a Country Mile (as always, pun intended ;))

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Amy Winehouse covered a different Valerie I think, was it the original by The Zutons?
    Winwood's Valerie I think there was a dance song that sampled the song.

Call On Me by Eric Prydz. The video for it wasn't half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In 7th place with 12 points is
    Sawduck

The Arrows - I Love Rock 'n' Roll

Heard the artist: No
    Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

Okay, a good song and much better than the overrated song Joan Jett version, I really need to run that tournament. We are all familiar with the more rocked up Joan Jett version, I actually prefer this version though. I think it actually works better with a male voice. Great sound from these guys, the singer has a great voice. I gave this a better than average score, it is a good song and I’m sure we all sang it at some point when it blasted out of the radio. A very decent pick and thanks for showing me this version.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

tenor.gif

This is the original, they wrote it. The other (Danish?) version was the first released, but it was a cover of this

And this is better than Natalie Imbruglia ;)
    It's a sad song, it deserves rough music, not some upbeat lightweight pop number

I agree 100% with your sound assessment.

We was robbed!!! :(

Just perfect EN.

*chef's kiss*

I routinely quote that, in a Rocky voice, to my wife. She pretends to roll her eyes and hate it, but I know she loves it :p

• Advertisement

much better than the overrated song Joan Jett version, I really need to run that tournament.

Hang on a second, where's that Dick Solomon gif gone, oh yeah there we are...
    giphy.gif

In 6th place with 13 points is
    Homer

Raf - Self Control

Review

Great song. Didn’t hear this version before. Love the Laura Branigan version and when I first heard this I didn’t think there was much difference between them. Listened to Laura’s version a few times also and there is quite a difference. I actually prefer this version. This is more disco sounding compared to the more rock version with guitars. Like the synthesiser sounds here. Just a great catchy song and great pick here.

In 7th place with 12 points is
    Sawduck

Review

Okay, a good song and much better than the overrated song Joan Jett version, I really need to run that tournament. We are all familiar with the more rocked up Joan Jett version, I actually prefer this version though. I think it actually works better with a male voice. Great sound from these guys, the singer has a great voice. I gave this a better than average score, it is a good song and I’m sure we all sang it at some point when it blasted out of the radio. A very decent pick and thanks for showing me this version.

Ooh yeah, like this and their identikit outfits and hair-do's

Going by your comments that the Joan Jett and Simple Minds songs are overrated, I will probably give that game a miss. . .

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Going by your comments that the Joan Jett and Simple Minds songs are overrated, I will probably give that game a miss. . .

I wont be voting in it so you should be safe to play :)

Great song. Didn’t hear this version before.

Neither had I until I went researching this round! :p I probably still prefer the Laura Branigan version overall but definitely like this version as well.

In 5th place with 14 points is
    LeVar

Tommy James & The Shondells - I Think We're Alone Now

Review

Love the Tiffany version and I’m sure I heard this before. Having it on repeat for this review, I had to stop watching the video as the guy sitting on the organ was distracting me, he looks like he is on some happy pills. Love the little beat in this song and that organ sound. Some songs sound very different when covered but vocally this is very similar to the Tiffany version. Great song and great version, still prefer the cover though.

I routinely quote that, in a Rocky voice, to my wife. She pretends to roll her eyes and hate it, but I know she loves it :p

Ahahaha, I hope you do the voice too while you're at it.

LeVar

Review

Love the Tiffany version and I’m sure I heard this before. Having it on repeat for this review, I had to stop watching the video as the guy sitting on the organ was distracting me, he looks like he is on some happy pills. Love the little beat in this song and that organ sound. Some songs sound very different when covered but vocally this is very similar to the Tiffany version. Great song and great version, still prefer the cover though.

Wish I had a couple of whatever that lad is on anyway. :D

I'm actually not a fan of the Tiffany cover, but love this original. Glad you liked it.

LeVar

He fúckin does and all :eek:

I'm loving the young Malcolm Tucker on lead vocals, look at him there.

Great pick by the way LeVar, I did not know Tiffany was a cover.

This is a great idea for a round Kol.

• Advertisement

That I Think We're Alone now original is really nice.

Ha ha, of course :D
    You know I'm going to mess yours up now though!

I also suspect you'll have nominated my second pick now ;)
    Neither had I until I went researching this round! :p I probably still prefer the Laura Branigan version overall but definitely like this version as well.

I was wrong!
    And it hasn't come up yet... :o

Mind you, it's a song I love so Kol would have it bottom three :D

In 4th place with 15 points is
    Bubbly

The Waterboys - How Long Will I Love You

Review

How have I not heard this version before. I love the Ellie Goulding version, I had no idea it was a cover. This version is brilliant. I wouldn’t normally be a Waterboys fan, I’m not into the kind of music they play and I’m only familiar with a few of their songs. I do really like the higher tempo of this version, it works really well. I couldn’t choose which I prefer more, both work well in their own way. Great pick and thanks.

LeVar

Review

OMFG this is brilliant, I think I knew that the Tiffany song was a cover but I've never seen this video and it will henceforth be my go-to version!

I love the Ellie Goulding version, I had no idea it was a cover
    I love the Waterboys version, I had no idea it was covered :D

Top and bottom 3
    CeeJay
    HillBilly
    Necro
    Seph
    Shane
    Stu

In 17th place with 3 points is
    Shane

Stevie Wonder - Pastime Paradise

My rating: ★☆☆☆☆

Review

Love Gangsters paradise. I’m sure I heard there was an original but I never heard it before. Can’t fault Stevie, he is brilliant but this is terrible. I hate this song. I mean I do like the synthesizer sound but everything else about it is terrible. Lyrically, arrangement, choir all make this a chore to listen to. Please tell me someone agrees with me and I’m not being irrational here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tumblr_o18augephu1uewx7xo1_400.gifv

In 3rd place with 16 points is
    Stu

The Knife - Heartbeats

Review

Well there appears to be a lot of covers of this song with Jose Gonsalez being the most well known. I have listened to a few of them and they are all slowed down acoustic versions. This version however is my favourite. I just love the music here. Haunting electro sound with an equally brilliant vocal. Yes everything about this sound is oozing class. This is by far the only song in the whole game which I wasn’t familiar with but I knew would do well from just hearing the first 5 seconds of it. I love this song and version, brilliant pick

• Advertisement

In 18th place with 2 points is
    HillBilly

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

My rating: ★☆☆☆☆

Review

Going to just say it, don’t like this song at all and not just this version. It is vastly overrated. The soft Cell version is probably the best version imo. The Marylin Manson version is terrible and let’s not even mention Imelda May, ops… sorry I just did. Again, I’m going to be in the minority here as I think a lot here are fans of this song. Terrible song and terrible pick, sorry.

Advertisement