Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In 2nd place with 14 points is
    Sinead

Bon⬨Jovi - Runaway

Heard the song: Yes

My rating: ★★★★★

Review

Great pick here, this would have done very well in the debut category also. Love the keyboard intro. Needs no introduction to fans, instantly recognisable from the first key. This is a crowd favourite at gigs. Super melody throughout the song, great and easy to sing along to lyrics. Their debut album is very much underrated imo, especially side 1, some great songs on it. Obviously the production value wasn’t there which they had when producing slippery. It is a bit raw but that gives it its charm. You obviously read my OP notes when picking this one, a nice surprise.

In 19th place with 1 point is
    Barna

Miche Braden - Livin' on a Prayer

Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★☆☆☆

Review

Okay I don’t know what is going on here. Yes, I said in my OP that I would like to listen to more jazz, but not this way. Love the original song but this just doesn’t work for me at all. They have really made a mess of this. I give it 2 stars because of the song really. Sorry, but no thanks.

In 1st place with 15 points is
    Stu

Bon⬨Jovi - Dry County

Review

What an excellent pick. I think I might have nominated this myself in a previous game, can’t recall which one. This is an epic song, highs, lows, change of tone, and arguably one of Richie's greatest solos. It is a very long song, I believe their longest recorded. For some reason, it was never released in the US. Theme is about the decline in the US oil industry and the effects it had on those who work in it. I love it when that drum kicks in again half ways through the song and what an epic solo. Used to listen to this regularly when commuting but hadn’t heard it for a while. Brilliant pick, one of my favourite Bon Jovi songs.

Fair balls to Barna for submitting that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No It's My Life? The only half decent song they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox are famous in covering famous pop/rock songs with a jazz/blues/swing sound.
    Seeing them live is great, though the studio output can be hit or miss.
    I would agree that this isn't one of their best efforts. . .

ShaneU wrote: »
    No It's My Life? The only half decent song they have.

Shame you didnt nominate it , would have made the top 5 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Kolido wrote: »
    Stu

Bon⬨Jovi - Dry County

Review

What an excellent pick. I think I might have nominated this myself in a previous game, can’t recall which one. This is an epic song, highs, lows, change of tone, and arguably one of Richie's greatest solos. It is a very long song, I believe their longest recorded. For some reason, it was never released in the US. Theme is about the decline in the US oil industry and the effects it had on those who work in it. I love it when that drum kicks in again half ways through the song and what an epic solo. Used to listen to this regularly when commuting but hadn’t heard it for a while. Brilliant pick, one of my favourite Bon Jovi songs.

You nominated this in my Walrus, for the wildcard category - and you won that category!! :)
    I agree, such a fantastic, epic song!!

Stu

Bon⬨Jovi - Dry County

Review

jYCKvzl.gif

You hit the nail on the head there, one of their best and arguably my own favourite. Perhap's Sambora's finest moment too.

It was either that or this...

As great as Blood on Blood is, Dry County is top shelf.

Another great round Kol, distancing yourself from the 'hurt' nicely too :D

• Advertisement

CeeJay takes a 6 point lead going into the final round with Stu, LeVar, and Seph still in with a shout. ENs record breaking game sees him clinch the wooden spoon with a round to spare.

Player|R1|R2|R3|R4|R5|R6|R7|R8|Total
    CeeJay|14|5|14|18|18|15|10||94
    Stu|12|15|9|9|16|12|15||88
    LeVar|19|16|8|4|14|17|8||86
    Seph|13|18|16|2|17|7|10||83
    Shelly|15|2|17|17|4|8|13||76
    SawDuck|1|12|12|14|12|11|12||74
    Shane|11|17|13|6|3|18|5||73
    Bubblypop|18|9|2|16|15|4|8||72
    Homer|10|10|5|8|13|13|12||71
    Ari|17|19|4|7|8|6|9||70
    Liz|9|7|3|13|10|16|11||69
    Barna 77|16|8|10|16|11|5|1||67
    Sinead|4|6|17|15|9|2|14||67
    Necro|7|4|15|1|1|19|10||57
    Beaker|2|11|11|10|6|9|6||55
    Aris|8|3|14|5|7|10|7||54
    HillBilly4|3|13|6|12|2|14|3||53
    Purple|6|14|7|11|5|1|2||46
    EN|5|1|1|3|4|3|4||21

Player | Song | Position | Points
    Stu | Bon Jovi - Dry County | 1st | 15
    Sinead | Bon Jovi - Runaway | 2nd | 14
    Shelly | Bon Jovi - I'd Die For You | 3rd | 13
    Homer, Sawduck | Bon Jovi - Always | 4th | 12
    Liz | Bon Jovi - Lie To Me | 6th | 11
    Ceejy, Necro, Seph | Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive | 7th | 10
    Ari | Bon Jovi - Living in Sin | 10th | 9
    Bubbly, LeVar | Bon Jovi - Born To Be My Baby | 11th | 8
    Aris | Jon Bon Jovi - Miracle | 13th | 7
    Beaker | Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory | 14th | 6
    Shane | Bon Jovi - Keep the Faith | 15th | 5
    EN | Bon Jovi - Do What You Can | 16th | 4
    Hillbilly | Bon Jovi - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead | 17th | 3
    Purple | Bon Jovi - Put The Boy Back In Cowboy | 18th | 2
    Barna | Miche Braden - Livin' on a Prayer | 19th | 1

jYCKvzl.gif

You hit the nail on the head there, one of their best and arguably my own favourite. Perhap's Sambora's finest moment too.

It was either that or this...

As great as Blood on Blood is, Dry County is top shelf.

Blood on blood would have also won the round, brilliant choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Fair balls to Barna for submitting that :D
    My first choice would have me disqualified and expelled from the game :D
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    Scott Bradlee's Post Modern Jukebox are famous in covering famous pop/rock songs with a jazz/blues/swing sound.
    Seeing them live is great, though the studio output can be hit or miss.
    I would agree that this isn't one of their best efforts. . .
    True, I've seen them live and they were great.

But i can't stand Bon Jovi and just looked for a cover and I think I didn't even bother to watch it full. (Don't trust me there ....memory fails)
    They could have thrown in one of those cats-singing remixes and I wouldn't know

Time for some Hair Metal, lets finish this.

In 14th place with 4 points is
    Shelly

Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady

Heard the artist: Yes

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

This is the first song by Aerosmith I ever remember hearing. It was all over the radio when it was released and brings back good memories. I went to see Aerosmith live a good few years ago and I’d have to say it wasn’t a great concert in terms of the band interacting with the audience, it was like they just turned up, played their set and left. So I wouldn’t be a big fan of them in general but I do like some of their music. This song is decent, really poppy I guess, consistent with the sound of the latter 80s. Really nice melody and easy to sing along to. I read that Desmond Child co -wrote it, he was a big part of Bon Jovi's 80s success. So overall, a nice pick but it wouldn’t be a song I would actively look for.

Did You Know

The song was inspired by Motley Crue's lead singer, Vince Neil. Tyler met him in a bar and had mistaken him for a woman.

Blood on blood would have also won the round, brilliant choices.

I should have submitted it for this next round so :pac:

In 13th place with 5 points is
    Seph

Van Halen - Jump

Review

Very popular song that is probably overplayed at this stage. Iconic keyboard riff and great vocals from David. This song is sure to get you jumping. I wouldn’t actively play this song much anymore since it is more background music now. I give it an average rating mainly for 2 reasons, slightly over poppy and very much overplayed. I thought I would have liked this one better to be honest when I saw it nominated, a decent pick nonetheless.

In 12th place with 6 points is
    Beaker

Fozzy - Live Wire

Review

Nice start and I really like the verse, but I think the corus is the weakest part of the song. Not familiar with the band but I know of them mainly because of Chris Jericho. I do like the guitar sound and I think Jerciho on vocals is decent. Overall I found the song fairly generic and no really exciting parts in it. I can see it being a big live, maybe an open gig tune to get the crowd going. Wouldn't be on my list to listen to regularly, unlucky picking this one but great to hear something new. After a few more listens, this song has gone up slightly in my rating.

I just remembered that Eddie's dead :(

In 11th place with 7 points is
    Sinead

Pantera - Cemetery Gates

Review

Can’t remember hearing this song before though it sounds a little familiar. I do like Pantera but I haven't listened a lot to them. This one is a little heavier than most in this category. I do like their sound, guitar especially and Phil's voice. I think they moved to a more heavy metal sound when Phil joined in the late 80s having been around for a number of years before that. A signature riff, a mellowed build up to a heavy chorus makes this a decent pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Can't remember what i sent in for this round

In 10th place with 8 points is
    Homer

Alice Cooper - Poison

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

Another popular number from the 80s. A genre song if there ever was one. Poppy but heavy. Co-written by Desmond Child, in fact he co-wrote the whole Trash album. Very catchy and recognisable guitar riff which was actually used a few years previously on a John Waite track. Now this would be an average song but I think it goes up a notch as Alice gives it character. I’m sure there have been a few covers of this and a dance remix if I’m not mistaken. A predictable but decent pick

In 8th place with 9 points is
    Barna, Liz

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again

Review

This is what I was expecting when choosing this category. Very mainstream but very 80s Hair Metal. This is the ‘87 remix. Some music snobs will always prefer the original but I like both equally. In fact I’m probably a bigger fan of their poppy sound than their original blues rock sound. Yes they sold out and made millions, why not! Great sound, great arrangement, this song will stand the test of time. Excellent pick if predictable and probably the only reason it didn’t score higher.

In 7th place with 10 points is
    Ceejay

Heart - Alone

Review

I’m a big fan of Heart’s commercial era. Bringing in song writers and covering songs in the mid 80s brought them success they craved in the early 80s. Their original folk sound I don’t know too much about. Alone is a power ballad and a cover of a song originally recorded by i-Ten. A great song originally and Heart really rock it up here. Not my favourite song by the band and very mainstream here in this category. Ann has a great voice for both ballads and heavier rock songs. A predictable pick but I have to give it a 4 as I just love it and it is a genre song.

In 6th place with 11 points is
    Ari

Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure

Review

Okay, a famous song that I didn’t really like, that is until now. I listened to this a few times, headphones on, volume up, and wow. This really is a great song, I didn’t realise it before. It is also quite a complicated song. I’m not even going to try to dissect it. The famous bassline, sampled in other songs. Freddy and David’s signature voices. Not a huge amount of lyric as they are repeated throughout but they do seem to have a purpose, not surprising as it is assumed David wrote them. The only reason I didn’t give this a higher score is because I don’t think it is fully suited to this category. It is rock/pop yes but lacks the power chords of the genre. An excellent song that would have topped many a category and thanks for showing me how great this song is.

In 5th place with 12 points is
    Purple

Mama's Boys - Loose Living

Review

Great track from the guys just down the road from me. Not overly familiar with them to be honest and not heard this song before. I remember my older brother had some cassettes of these guys back in the day, the only reason I’m slightly familiar with them. This is an excellent catchy song, and sounds very raw. Obviously under-produced at the time. Great sound and guitar solo. Nothing negative to say really, definitely going to check out some more of their stuff. Brilliant pick.

In 4th place with 13 points is
    Necro

Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane

Review

Scorpions have been around for like forever. This is one of their signature songs and what a great song it is. Klaus Meine has a great rock voice and this sounds so 80s. The opening guitar riff which stays with most of the song is very recognisable and the solo is awesome. Very catchy chorus which I’m sure really gets the crowd going at gigs. A great pick for this category, screams Hair Metal.

Bottom and top 3
    Aris
    Bubbly
    EN
    HillBilly4
    LeVar
    SawDuck
    Shane
    Stu

In a break from tradition, I will announce the bottom 3 first.

In 15th place with 3 points is
    EN

Phantom Blue - Going Mad

Heard the artist: No

Review

Not heard of these ladies before. More heavy metal than hair metal. I really like their sound, though not mad (pun intended) about this song. Sticking to his guns to pick all female acts, I suppose it did limit this category a bit. Possibly something from Lita Ford or Vixen. After a few listens to this, it did go up the ratings a bit. Definitely want to hear more from these ladies and a decent pick, thanks for introducing me to something new.

• Advertisement

In 5th place with 12 points is
    Purple

Mama's Boys - Loose Living

Review

Great track from the guys just down the road from me. Not overly familiar with them to be honest and not heard this song before. I remember my older brother had some cassettes of these guys back in the day, the only reason I’m slightly familiar with them. This is an excellent catchy song, and sounds very raw. Obviously under-produced at the time. Great sound and guitar solo. Nothing negative to say really, definitely going to check out some more of their stuff. Brilliant pick.

Pat McManus is a gent. Has great stories to tell about Mama's Boys touring with the likes of Jovi, Rat and Motley Crue back in the 80s. This weekend 12 years ago I was actually on tour with Pat in Germany, he played my Les Paul for a set and it was like the pinnacle of my 20s :D

Mama's Boys are a great pick for this round.

Advertisement