Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer two week ban

Options
  • 03-06-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I received a two week ban from soccer thread. This was my first ban, I have previously received a thread ban, which although I felt was harsh I understood and accepted the reason. I have genuinely tried to reason my case with the mod but I wasn’t successful. I don’t believe my posts were in breach of the charter in anyway. Thanks
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Brewster,
    I'll flag this with a Cmod since you say you've already discussed it with the mod.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hey Brewster,

Can you paste the PMs you had with the mod here?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Sorry, forgot all about this over weekend. Look essentially ban is for posting ‘against the grain of the thread’. Look the recent posts are there for everyone to read, they are not inflammatory or offensive in any way, but because some of the Celtic fans were not advocating for Roy Keane to to get the job, then by posting my support for Roy, it was perceived to be posting against the grain of the thread. Look, this is not done in a deliberate way, I just think Roy is the guy to get some fire back into team. There was a recent flag example also, where supporters were displaying Palestinian flags. I absolutely disagree with politically motivated displays this like, and fully support UEFA for their stance, but because some Celtic fans on the thread think it’s a perfectly good idea to display Palestinian flags, then because I take an opposing view, this is considered to be posting against grain of thread, and this is not allowed. These are just a couple of examples. There are times where there is no difference of opinion and everything is fine. I just think you should be entitled to express an alternative deeply held view, provided it’s made in a respectful manner, and doesn’t offend anyone. I don’t think DM7 would dispute anything I’ve said here. I can send the direct messages via forward function I believe.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi Brewster,

So the reason you got banned is cause of the soccer totting up process. Two yellows = a 2 week ban. This dispute will only deal with the yellow, which was given for posting views that were always against the grain in the Celtic thread.

I've reviewed the PMs between you and the Mod, and I also note that you were warned by the mod to stop posting contrarian opinions in the Celtic thread a few weeks ago.

With that said, I believe the yellow is valid in this case, if for no other reason than you ignored the mod instruction, and so it is upheld. Which means the ban also stands.

You may appeal to admin if you wish to take this further.

Thanks Awec. Look, I appreciate you looking into it. . I am not sure of procedure from this point. In any event, ban is nearly expired at this stage!

• Advertisement

Awec- For me it boils down to this, I don’t believe advocating for Roy Keane to be Celtic manager was or is a contrarian view. This is the reason I got the yellow card, there is no doubt about this. I believe Roy Keane would have made a fantastic Celtic manager, Celtic would dominate in many games and in some respects it would be about instilling fight and passion in players. Something Roy excels in. Look we may never know whether I would have been proven correct on this. Respectfully, this is where I disagree with you and mod. I made a mistake previously in January, but I can’t continue to pay for it. It would be good for admin to take a look at this. Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can continue with this appeal should you wish. If you do not, or if your appeal is turned down, another yellow card in Soccer will result in a 1 month ban next time, under the totting up process and longer bans for additional transgressions. Hence this card and ban do have a potentially significant ongoing impact

Thanks Beasty. On a point of principle, it is important that I do appeal. The basis of the appeal is very straightforward. I have been wrongly accused of advocating for Roy Keane to be Celtic manager simply to ‘get a reaction’ from other posters. This is basis of yellow card. I reject this in the strongest possible way. Keane is a seen as a hero to many Irish people, and while his managerial record is still largely unproven, like many, I feel there is still a big job in him. I just felt Celtic could have been right job at the right time. Ultimately, the Celtic Board believed the same was a possibility because they apparently interviewed him earlier this year. The simple reality is that Keane will have his support among Celtic support, and he will certainly have his detractors to. This is particularly true given their very recent managerial appointment.

Advertisement