Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce - Where to Start, Help!

Options
  • 03-06-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, ill try to keep this short.

I married (in haste) many years ago, almost 10 now.

Married abroad. Shortly after returning to Ireland, lets say it didn't work out.

(I know it may sound like a marriage of convenience or visa etc.. but definitely not)

I am Irish she is not Irish born but has since got permanent status here.

I have not contacted her in many years. I do have an address that I believe she is residing at.

No property. No children. No shared assets. Not looking for anything from her, only an agreement to divorce after many years apart.

Non contested divorce.

I think she will agree, if she does agree what are the steps involved? I don't have the marriage Cert (she held on to them and did not give me mine)

I don't think the marriage is reconised here, I don't recall going to any government department to inform them, maybe immigration, I can't recall.

I really just want this done with now. It has been to long and I should have started this process many years ago.

Any advice welcome, but please no judgements, we all make mistakes.

Thank you

BDK

****Sorry, I should add, the last time we discussed this, she insisted on me going back to her country and doing the divorce there. She claimed it was quicker and culturally more accepted. I don't doubt this, however, I would be wary of travelling there alone and be afraid if something untoward was to happen to me. Im probably being parnonoid but think its too risky.******

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I presume that she was able to settle here because she had a right based on being married to you. In which case, was it documented here?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

I presume that she was able to settle here because she had a right based on being married to you. In which case, was it documented here?

I believe so, I did get confirmation that she applied and was granted permission to stay here.
    I assume based on the marriage.

I've had no dealings with her in years, just wondering if I can do this myself or will i need to engage a solicitor?

Is there any way to find out if marriage is valid here?

My guess is if she was granted permanent residence here based on her marriage to an Irish citizen, then the marriage was recognised as valid here.

Contact the embassy of her home country to enquire about getting a copy of the marriage certificate, and also the Dept of Foreign Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If she is domiciled in a country where it is a lot easier than here, then get the divorce there.

Law changed about 20 years ago so that only one person needed to be domiciled in a country to have a divorce in that country recognised.

As for the marriage being valid here. Yes it is once it was a legal marriage where it took place. No additional registration required.

Usually you can write to the registrar in the place you got married and get a copy of the certificate.

Is there a requirement for you to attend in her country for a divorce? Surely it can be done without attendance

Advertisement