Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview in a ground floor apartment

• 03-06-2021 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I have just taken possession of a ground floor apartment in Dublin city centre.
    I would like to just have Saorview for now as I will only use the apartment occasionally and don't want to pay Virgin or some other provider a large monthly fee.
    I borrowed a neighbour's portable aerial to test it out. He gets reception from the Three Rock transmitter fine as he is on the top floor of the block. When I tested it I could only get radio and not TV. The signal for channel 30 was better than 33. I don't know if the TV is broadcast on channel 33.

Anyway what I am wondering is if I used a more powerful aerial if it might make a difference or am I just snookered unless a communal aerial is put up in the block.

I don't know if the idea of a more powerful aerial makes sense technically.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

Hi I have just taken possession of a ground floor apartment in Dublin city centre.
    I would like to just have Saorview for now as I will only use the apartment occasionally and don't want to pay Virgin or some other provider a large monthly fee.
    I borrowed a neighbour's portable aerial to test it out. He gets reception from the Three Rock transmitter fine as he is on the top floor of the block. When I tested it I could only get radio and not TV. The signal for channel 30 was better than 33. I don't know if the TV is broadcast on channel 33.

Anyway what I am wondering is if I used a more powerful aerial if it might make a difference or am I just snookered unless a communal aerial is put up in the block.

Thanks

When you say you could only get radio, what type/model tv do you have,FreeView sd tvs won't show Saorview pictures but you would get radio. You would need a Saorview /FreeView HD tv at minimum to view the Saorview channels. As regards the aerial, we're you getting a strong signal on the borrowed aerial, if so then the tv type (sd/hd) may be to blame. The Saorview channels are broadcast on both 30 and 33, RTE 1, VM3 are on 33, RTE 2 ,VM1 &2,TG4 are on 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dara Mac Donnell

Hi I was getting a strong signal for 30 and less so for 33 on the borrowed aerial which was one of these
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/tv-aerials/one-for-all-sv9420-design-amplified-indoor-tv-aerial-10135386-pdt.html#tab5
    I am wondering if one of these would make a difference?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27769RG-Performance-Freeview-Wideband/dp/B001ACV7E0/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/257-9900469-6555705

The TV is an old Panasonic TX-L37S10B LCD HD TV. We have a similar old Panasonic HD TV in our house and it shows both Saorview and Freesat via Amiko combo box. I think Saorview should display fine on the one in the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Thanks

I set up an indoor ariel for my mam in north Dublin recently bought the cheapest one in Argos which claimed 3KM distance. It got signal but was unreliable and easily interrupted. Bought the next one up which boasted 9km which was better but still choppy on some channels. finally bought one that was for 15KM and it works without issue. So buying a bigger range seems to help alright. Hope that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

Hi I was getting a strong signal for 30 and less so for 33 on the borrowed aerial which was one of these
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/tv-aerials/one-for-all-sv9420-design-amplified-indoor-tv-aerial-10135386-pdt.html#tab5
    I am wondering if one of these would make a difference?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27769RG-Performance-Freeview-Wideband/dp/B001ACV7E0/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/257-9900469-6555705

The TV is an old Panasonic TX-L37S10B LCD HD TV. We have a similar old Panasonic HD TV in our house and it shows both Saorview and Freesat via Amiko combo box. I think Saorview should display fine on the one in the apartment?

The spec on the TV shows FREEVIEW SD, the Amiko box was acting as the tuner in your home, most likely through a HDMI cable to the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Amiko tuner is in use, not the TV tuner, which is the reason you can view Saorview channels.

• Advertisement

OK I guess I need either a new TV or a Saorview box and then repeat aerial test and if no joy with neighbour's aerial buy a more powerful one

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

If I mention rabbit ears it will summon up the local aerial expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

athlone573 wrote: »
    If I mention rabbit ears it will summon up the local aerial expert.

Don’t mention them then. So called rabbits ears are VHF aerials for FM and DAB radio, completely unsuitable for UHF TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I set up an indoor ariel for my mam in north Dublin recently bought the cheapest one in Argos which claimed 3KM distance. It got signal but was unreliable and easily interrupted. Bought the next one up which boasted 9km which was better but still choppy on some channels. finally bought one that was for 15KM and it works without issue. So buying a bigger range seems to help alright. Hope that helps you.

Note ariel is washing powder not a reception device. Aerials don’t have power they have gain. Nor can aerials claim distance. So many things determine whether an aerial will work, distance, power of transmitter, type of terrain, height of aerial, etc.

Your ideal solution is a proper aerial on the roof or possibly in the loft. The plastic one from Amazon is useless, the second one is better. You need an aerial that looks like one not a block of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I am also on 3 rock and had an outside aerial fitted.

Query on Rte 1 and Rte 2 has the Hd been dropped as service info says 1440 x 1080 ?

Once tv and boxes setup for3 rock channels scan in but no mention hd.

Years ago i used to see Rte 1 HD on the icon.

Have now found out Rte one is broadcast in Hd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

1440 is RTÉs idea of HD

Cheap gits and 1980 x 1080 on sat.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

greasepalm wrote: »
    I am also on 3 rock and had an outside aerial fitted.

Query on Rte 1 and Rte 2 has the Hd been dropped as service info says 1440 x 1080 ?

Once tv and boxes setup for3 rock channels scan in but no mention hd.

Years ago i used to see Rte 1 HD on the icon.

Have now found out Rte one is broadcast in Hd.

It has never been other than 1440x1080 on Saorview.

I don't recall seeing a HD DOG on Saorview.

Pre Saorview days i remember it having Hd and never thought anymore about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

winston_1 wrote: »
    Note ariel is washing powder not a reception device.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

winston_1 wrote: »
    Note ariel is washing powder not a reception device. Aerials don’t have power they have gain. Nor can aerials claim distance. So many things determine whether an aerial will work, distance, power of transmitter, type of terrain, height of aerial, etc.

Your ideal solution is a proper aerial on the roof or possibly in the loft. The plastic one from Amazon is useless, the second one is better. You need an aerial that looks like one not a block of plastic.

Winston_1, while I know getting the correct terms right is important, I have warned you on the pendantary a number of times before. As it’s a while since the last time, I feel a warning is sufficient for now, but my patience has limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The HD DOG was there up until they started adding the “Stay at home” message at the first lockdown. In the test days of Saorview they did test at 1920x1080 and 704x576 but it didn’t last. :(

Yes all bit of a joke with not even getting 1980 x 1020 with good old reliable Irish Television.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I only noticed the HD missing myself this weekend when scanning channels on a new TV - I was looking out for the onscreen HD indication for RTE 1 & 2 and it isn't there anymore.

I thought it might be helpful for others if I updated here with the outcome of my scenario. Unfortunately I am not allowed post links.

I had bought one of the basic One For All aerials, model 9420 in Tesco for €20 but I wasn't getting the Saorview channels on my old Panasonic HD TV.

decor58 and Johnboy1951 were correct. My old TV was not compatible with Saorview. So I bought a Edision HD Digital TV Receiver from freetv .ie for €40 and with the aerial cable inserted in that and Edision box connected to TV I could now get Saorview TV and radio channels.

I persisted with the original aerial for a while but found that reception was subject to significant intermittent interference. This got so annoying I went to my local Tesco and bought a supposedly more powerful One for All aerial, model 9143 for around €40. elfy4eva had suggested this above. The newer aerial has worked very well with far less interference.

So I bought a TV box and two aerials for €100 but have TV and radio now for free on my old HD TV. 

Will donate the spare aerial worth €20 as soon as I can find a worthy recipient. 😄

Next job is figure out how to get BBC via an Android box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement