Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting Laurel /Hugel Bed

Options
  • 03-06-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Will soon have vast quantities of Laurel in my mam's urban back yard to deal with (Mother of all prunings!) Unfortunately sold my shredder due to lack of storage space for it .I was thinking I could use short lengths of it in a hugelbed (german compost mound with wood in middle and compost/soil and weeds growing on outside of it ).

I used the shredder for the laurel and various other thorny bushes a couple of years ago .I made a compost heap from the shreddings I have planned to give them 2-3 years to compost before considering their use for flowerbeds(or veg?)

Will shortish prunings of the Laurel break down in a year or two(topped by other lighter material?) or will they linger for many years?

Thanks

Comments

The leaves will break down no problem, but any woody stuff is much slower. It's okay when you can sieve small amounts of finished compost, but a lot would be very awkward.

And Cherry Laurel, as I presume this is, is very tenacious of life, any length of twig/branch will reroot when put in warm damp conditions.

Unless you have a very big heap, I would advise disposing of it some other (legal!)way.

Advertisement