Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Gaura Shrubs

Options
  • 03-06-2021 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I have two Gaura shrubs die on me this year and only about a third of the remaining one is in leaf.

The two fails lost leaf and the stems went dry and almost bleach white.

Wondering do they have a limited life - they are all about three years old.

TIA

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know why they failed, but I had forgotten that this was on my 'want' list. Be interested to hear does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might have been.

Edit. yes short lived but can self seed. 3 to 5 years seems to be maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They don't live very long but a prolonged wet period can kill them off. They need very well drained gritty soil and are often recommended to be grown in raised beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I just planted one last year from a garden centre clearance section and it flowered reasonably well and seemed to die back over winter. I took this to be normal and trimmed most of the top growth off in spring when I could see fresh growth starting from the base of the plant. I looks healthy again now. Is yours in a sunny position? I read they are adapted to an open prairie type environment so too much shade would be bad for them. They also don't like poor drainage from what I read.

Advertisement