Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A not too spicy cheese sauce

Options
  • 03-06-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Any ideas for a good cheese sauce, just not very spicy, one good for nachos and chicken chimichanga. It's my first time trying one so have very little experience but plenty of time for trial and error, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mine is the modernist mac and cheese sauce with some chipotle paste stirred through, no major excitement and the right amount of processed vibe...

3g sodium citrate
    100g milk
    Some garlic and onion powder
    - Heat gently until the citrate is disolved
    100 grated cheddar
    - Add by the fistful, stirring well after each addition
    1/2tsp chipotle or more
    - stirred in to taste.

The citrate usually means you don't need to add more salt. You might get away with using calvita or easi singles instead of the citrate andmost of the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's the sodium citrate for?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Emulsifies the cheese fats so it doesn't split. Tastes more intensely cheesy than using a roux.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

An easy cheese sauce:

A large fistful of grated cheese. I recommend mild cheddar as stronger cheeses taste too strong in this recipe
    Some evaporated milk (not condensed)
    A heaped teaspoon of cornflour

1. Place your cheese in a heatproof jug
    2. Sprinkle on the cornflour and toss so that every grating of cheese has a light dusting
    3. Add evaporated milk so that it just covers the cheese
    4. Microwave for one minute
    5. Whisk with a fork
    6. Return to microwave for another minute / 90 seconds
    7. Whisk until fully smooth and thickened

If you want to spice it up, stir in some cayenne.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sodium citrate can be hard to find. I read some saying to use a little vinegar instead.

But I also found out you can actually make it by mixing baking soda and citric acid. I got a big bag of citric acid in an Asian supermarket. Chemists will also have small pots, I wonder if a chemist might even have sodium citrate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement