Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDS GOLF SOCIETY KILKEA CASTLE JUNE 19. @ 12:28

Options
  • 03-06-2021 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

https://www.kilkeacastle.ie/golf/

Kilkea-Golfers-990x556.png

Well Ladies and Gents. We are on the road again.

Our first outing of the year is Kilkea Castle, a gem we played last year which is well worth a return. A beautiful well maintained course in a lovely setting.
    Thanks to ex captain Benny for sorting this one at short notice.

Cost for this one will be €35.00 plus €25.00 membership please.
    Teamer invites has been sent out already. If you didn't get one please PM Seve OB with your details so he can set you up.

I will set up a Whatsap group shortly for payment through Revolut.
    We can do the 2,s on the day at the course.

Please have payment by Tuesday 15th so I can notify the club re. numbers.

I will post timesheet on Thursday 17th.

GOTY is being extended to this year after everything Poor Spacecoyte went through last year. It's now best 5 from 9 so it's all to play for.

I think that's it for now.
    Looking forward to catching up with all of ye.

BREAK 80.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Lets go baby! Cant wait ... cheers Break80 best of luck for the coming year... you Langer :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

tenor.gif

Cannot wait for this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've PM'd Seve but not sure if he got it. If I'm too late for this one then no problem, will get to West Waterford or one of the other ones near me.

EDIT: scratch that, I think the Presidents prize is that weekend so I am likely out for Kilkea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Shamelessly stolen from last year's thread:

Kilkea Castle Course Guide

Hole 1. (Par 4) This is a dog leg right. You wont see the green. So a slight fade or a draw over the right corner of trees as the fairway is wide and does open up. Or top of hill straight in front of you will leave 210 yds in. You can reach the trees straight in front off tee so try cut the corner a bit or play to hill. There is 2 bunkers just right of bend however. Green is straight forward with bunkers either side.

Hole 2. (Par 5) Water in front is 230yds roughly off whites. I normally hit 5I, rescue down to it as its the % shot. Off yellows I think you could be past the trees left of tee box. So I would clear the water if this is the case (Driver). Its a real risk and reward hole of the tee. Hole then turns to the right a bit. Green is long width wise with bunkers either end. so dont be long. Short if anything.

Hole 3. (Par 4) Position is key off the tee here! (like most holes on the course) Line is far bunker. You need to be right of fairway. Miss is right also. Anything left is dead you wont find it or you be blocked out as there is a big tree left hand side of fairway. Green straight forward long front to back.

Hole 4. (Par3) Hole is over water and club selection is key depending on wind can be anything from 9I to 5I. 2 tier green from back to front. Try to be below hole leaving an uphill putt. Miss is Right.

Hole 5. (Par 5) Off yellows its easy enough trees all down right hand side and theres a really bad bunker about 30 yds out from green on right hand side to be aware off, as its hidden. Green is long from left to right like a U. So be short if anything.

Hole 6. (Par 3) Easiest hole on course. be right hand-side of green will leave you an uphill putt. Miss is right there is loads of room and a bunker. Anything left of tee into the long stuff forget about it. RELOAD.

Hole 7. (Par 4) Index 2 You need a good long drive to leave a short iron in, as green is very hard to hold. I actually play it as a par 5. Tiger line is over trees left of tee box as it opens up but be aware oob is down the left till end of trees. Green slopes from front to back with bunkers left and right. No easy putt here.

Hole 8. (Par 4) Another long par 4. Line is left of big tree in distance. But you need to be on right hand side of fairway as hole is a dogleg left. The trees on the left tend to suck you in. There is bunkers right side of that tree so be aware. Just remember the fairway is wide! & down hill, over the hill. Green is wide enough even doe it mighten look it.

Hole 9. (Par 4) Dogleg right. Love this hole and good birdie chance. Line is straight or Tiger line is over the big bush like ball on right but you need a good hit else you'll end up in trees. There is a gap far right of trees if you slice it so you could get lucky but do reload just in case. There is bunkers hidden on left on fairway off tee but miss is still left of tee. Green is down hill right to left surrounded by bunkers dont be long.

Hole 10. (Par 3) Good birdie chance here and opportunity for the 2's. Don't be long doe. Green slopes from back to front.

Hole 11. (Par 4) Everything is in front of you. Oob is all down the left. Fairway is wide and there is room off it to the left but if you slice it left or are to far left your gone! ul never find it. RELOAD. Green has bunkers either side at front and bushes at back so just aim for centre its big & flat and most putts be straight.

Hole 12. (par 5) Slight dogleg left but straight forward. Trees down either side. Oob is all down left doe. Green slopes steeply from back to front with 1 bunker on the left. So try be below the Flag for uphill putt.

Hole 13. (Par 4) Longest drive.. I picked this as its a tricky drive. Hole is straight forward. Trees either side. The fairway is hard to hold doe. As everything slopes right to left. Green is long, left to right. Slopes back to front. dont be long..

Hole 14. (Par 3) Can be into the wind so club selection is vital as green is surrounded so you wont notice the wind. Bunkers on right. Green slopes back to front 2 tier nearly. Dont be long or left.

Hole 15. (Par 4) Off the yellows its a great tee box as you are teeing off in the middle of the lake. So you have to walk past the white tee box down the fairway a bit to the right. Its a straight forward hole from here. Raised green slight slope from back to front bunkers on the right.

Hole 16. (par 3) WELCOME TO OUR BEAR TRAP
    Watch for the wind! be long and don't go left else your dead. Plays longer then it looks. Tree on right before river catches balls and they can drop into river. ENJOY.

Hole 17. (Par 4)Index 1. My best advise is that people look at this hole on the fly over in the first post in this thread. Its a sharp dog leg right. You need to clear the river and be on the far side of fairway for a shot in. Too far & you will go through fairway into the trees. Pick a club & be confident off yellows should be 3 wood or rescue. The further right you go the longer your tee shot will be. You can lay up of the tee, line is over tree on right as it opens up before river but there is high trees blocking the green hence why when going for fairway you have to be on left hand side looking in. This hole cost me the Captains last year and can be a card wrecker. You either love it or hate it.
    Green is easy enough its uphill from front to back. Its getting to it that's the hard part..lol..

Hole 18. (Par 4) My favourite hole as you are shooting into the castle. Its a dogleg left. The lake is on the left off the tee so anything to far left could be in trouble. Anything right of the tee forget about it as you will never find it. RELOAD. There is 2 bunkers straight ahead at end of fairway which you mighten see. so slight draw of tee. Green is 2 tier from back to front so be below hole. Do stop to look around on approach doe as its amazing scenery.

My best advise is to give every tee shot consideration as positioning of the Tee is vital. Greens are straight forward. Everything is in front of you. They are playing a bit slow. As during lock down the birds were picking holes on them but the green keeper has been doing a great job of repairing them.

It is a long course and the bad rough is knee high so if your ball does go in there forget about it. RELOAD. We are a fun society were not playing at the masters!

Most of all enjoy..

Benny.

Ha...lol... saved me searching roadrunner ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For reference, here are the GOTY standings as at the end of 2020
    526264.JPG

As per prior posts, we'll be carrying these 4 events over and making it a Golfer of the Covid Years with the best 5 out of 9 events counting towards the title. So plenty of opportunity to knock our 2021 Captain off his perch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Hi lads Golfnut 203 has been asked to play Barton Cup on the day of the outing and he cannot access the site due to new phone, he asked me to pass on the message

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Sorry lads and lassies, I had to decline on teamer, even getting out first the time is against me to get to Monaghan afterwards. Enjoy fab course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Can’t wait for Kilkea. Loved the course last year and dying to get back out again for a round. Thanks Captain and Benny for organising

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Break80

Hi Lads and Ladies
    I have set up a whatsapp group for this outing for payment.
    I have included all the numbers I thought should be in the group.

If anyone is interested in attending and have not been included in the group you can PM me or Seve OB with your number.

See ye all on the 19th.

Break 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Folks can everyone who is playing next week please drop me a pm with your club and GUI number if you haven’t already done so.
    We will be using WHS but there will be adjustments made as we go in the aim to even the playing field.
    We also recommend that you all have the Golf Ireland App installed and ready to go ahead of the day and declare your round.
    If you are not sure how, plenty here will help you out.

If you are not in a club, don’t worry we will be accommodating all.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Hey Capt, can I get one of the later tee times please?

I used to post one of these up before all of my outings, so will throw it up again for people. Captain or Benny, please correct anything I've gotten wrong here:

•There is a practice putting green in Kilkea beside the club house. I'm pretty sure that there is also a practice range. Will need Benny to confirm on that though

•Be ready at the first tee for your tee time. Please do not arrive on the box on top of the group ahead of you, in order to ensure that social distancing is maintained. Adhere to the time gaps on the first tee to keep adequate distance between groups.

•Your place on the course is behind the group in front, not ahead of the group behind, so please try and keep to a decent pace of play. For a lot of us we're out on a new (or unfamiliar) course, playing in a mix of 3 & 4-balls. Please do everything in your own power to minimise any delays

•The Society plays "Ready Golf". This means that you don't need to observe who has the honour on each tee box. If you're ready to hit, get up & do so. It keeps things flowing. Follow a similar approach across the whole course. If you're a yard ahead on the fairway, but you can play & your partner can't, go ahead & play your shot. We're a friendly (but competitive) society, not playing on the PGA Tour.

•If in doubt, shout "FORE"

•If in doubt, hit a provisional ball off the tee. Better to have a ball out there & not need it rather than hike back to the tee box/original spot

•You have 3 minutes to find a lost ball from the time you arrive at the spot you believe it to be. For playing partners, if someone is searching and you're in a position to hit your ball, can you please hit first before helping your partners search. Again, this keeps things flowing

•If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It can slow things down considerably. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch

•For the "nearest the pin" hole, your first tee shot has to be on the green to be eligible. If you see 1 name on the sheet and they're closer than you, put down your measure, as if someone wins another prize, we will give 2nd closest the prize. Captain to confirm the NTP hole

•Similarly, for the "Longest Drive" hole, your first drive must be on the Fairway to qualify. If you're a touch short, and there's only one name on the board stick your name & how much further back you were from the leader & you may pick up the prize. Again, Captain to confirm the LD hole

•Last year we were using whatsapp to submit the scores at the end of the round. We're in discussion around whether to hand in cards. Captain will confirm this prior to the day

•We're almost out, but are still living in Covid world, so please adhere to social distancing guidelines. Stay 2m from your playing partners. Don't shake hands before or after the round.

•Do not touch/remove the flagsticks

•Bunkers are in play, you can place the ball within 6 inches, no closer to the hole, without smoothing the sand first. Please smooth out the sand as best you can with your shoe/club after you have played your shot.

Captain/Benny to confirm what access is available for food afterwards?

•**PLEASE NOTE** to be eligible to win the Captains Prize, you need to be a fully paid up member of the society, and to have played a minimum of 2 events, excluding the Captains day

•Finally, enjoy the day and good luck with the golf

I think I've covered most things, but happy for any further suggestions or info people want to share. I've bolded a couple of points that will be updated further

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Early/first tee time for me if possible. Payment will be sent this morning...sorry for the delay.

I used to post one of these up before all of my outings, so will throw it up again for people. Captain or Benny, please correct anything I've gotten wrong here:

•There is a practice putting green in Kilkea beside the club house. I'm pretty sure that there is also a practice range. Will need Benny to confirm on that though

•Be ready at the first tee for your tee time. Please do not arrive on the box on top of the group ahead of you, in order to ensure that social distancing is maintained. Adhere to the time gaps on the first tee to keep adequate distance between groups.

•Your place on the course is behind the group in front, not ahead of the group behind, so please try and keep to a decent pace of play. For a lot of us we're out on a new (or unfamiliar) course, playing in a mix of 3 & 4-balls. Please do everything in your own power to minimise any delays

•The Society plays "Ready Golf". This means that you don't need to observe who has the honour on each tee box. If you're ready to hit, get up & do so. It keeps things flowing. Follow a similar approach across the whole course. If you're a yard ahead on the fairway, but you can play & your partner can't, go ahead & play your shot. We're a friendly (but competitive) society, not playing on the PGA Tour.

•If in doubt, shout "FORE"

•If in doubt, hit a provisional ball off the tee. Better to have a ball out there & not need it rather than hike back to the tee box/original spot

•You have 3 minutes to find a lost ball from the time you arrive at the spot you believe it to be. For playing partners, if someone is searching and you're in a position to hit your ball, can you please hit first before helping your partners search. Again, this keeps things flowing

•If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It can slow things down considerably. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch

•For the "nearest the pin" hole, your first tee shot has to be on the green to be eligible. If you see 1 name on the sheet and they're closer than you, put down your measure, as if someone wins another prize, we will give 2nd closest the prize. Captain to confirm the NTP hole

•Similarly, for the "Longest Drive" hole, your first drive must be on the Fairway to qualify. If you're a touch short, and there's only one name on the board stick your name & how much further back you were from the leader & you may pick up the prize. Again, Captain to confirm the LD hole

•Last year we were using whatsapp to submit the scores at the end of the round. We're in discussion around whether to hand in cards. Captain will confirm this prior to the day

•We're almost out, but are still living in Covid world, so please adhere to social distancing guidelines. Stay 2m from your playing partners. Don't shake hands before or after the round.

•Do not touch/remove the flagsticks

•Bunkers are in play, you can place the ball within 6 inches, no closer to the hole, without smoothing the sand first. Please smooth out the sand as best you can with your shoe/club after you have played your shot.

Captain/Benny to confirm what access is available for food afterwards?

•**PLEASE NOTE** to be eligible to win the Captains Prize, you need to be a fully paid up member of the society, and to have played a minimum of 2 events, excluding the Captains day

•Finally, enjoy the day and good luck with the golf

I think I've covered most things, but happy for any further suggestions or info people want to share. I've bolded a couple of points that will be updated further

-There is no driving range but there is a practice nett on the far right of club house/car park.

-There practice putting green is in front of club house and there is a small short game area right around to the left of club house with another practise net and green for wedges and chipping.

-The restaurant is open for outside dining there is 2 big marquee Tents one right in front of club house over looking the practice green.

-PLEASE NOTE - The second one is to the left of club house beside the practice area and for SOCIETY USE.

Enjoy folks as the course is in great nick..

Hi Ladies and Gents.

We will have the longest drive on the 13th.
    Nearest the Pin will be on the 16th.

I was thinking 1 player marking the 3 scores on 1 card. All players can check the card and marker can initial it if everyone is happy with the paperwork after the round.
    Remember to send SeveOB your GUI number and club so handicaps can be calculated for the course.

I will probably contact the course with numbers Thursday so please have your payment in by then.
    I will post timesheet Thursday night.

That's about it golfers.

Looking forward to catching up with ye all.

BREAK 80

Guys if you also want your round to count towards your WHS you will have to sign into the clubs computer - select guest - than select general play and than input your score when finished. The clubs computer is located in the hallway beside the Pro shop. You can miss it.

As the internet signal is really bad the golf Ireland app wont work to register your round.

most of enjoy folks! I for one cant wait for boards to be back going again!

benny79 wrote: »
    Guys if you also want your round to count towards your WHS you will have to sign into the clubs computer - select guest - than select general play and than input your score when finished. The clubs computer is located in the hallway beside the Pro shop. You can miss it.

As the internet signal is really bad the golf Ireland app wont work to register your round.

most of enjoy folks! I for one cant wait for boards to be back going again!

Does that mean that the score afterwards would need to be submitted via the club computer too Benny?

Yeah you will have to enter your score after you finished your round. but you can keep your card. Its basically just the same as using the computer if you where playing in a open at a different club. I haven't tried it yet but will be this evening. Basically its because the internet signal is brutal and the counting rounds wont work through the golf Ireland app because of it.

Hi Golfers.

Timesheet for tomorrow.

We have 19 players for this one.
    If you want to stay for food you let me know and I will book it before I go out.

There might be a few tweaks to the timesheet before we go out as I have 2 free slots.
    It's very important to decline on Teamer as this is the app we use to confirm final numbers before I pay the Golf Course.

Benny is doing the good weather dance as we speak.

See ye all tomorrow.

Screenshot (3).png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Thanks for this guys.

I can't stay around afterwards as trying to keep everyone happy!

Really looking forward to it now. Just hope the day holds up ok.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Thanks for this guys.

I can't stay around afterwards as trying to keep everyone happy!

Really looking forward to it now. Just hope the day holds up ok.

No worries Boccy, as long as you're there for the golf that's most important. If you pick up a prize we'll make sure it gets to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Have fun tomorrow lads, was hoping to make it as really enjoyed the course last year and thought I could make a better fist of it this time!

I'm making my interclub debut tomorrow so have to miss out, hopefully there are no further clashes and I can make a few.

Good luck Break80 with the year ahead. Best of luck to any new members, you'll definitely enjoy it.

Benny I might be down your way a bit more the next few weeks if you're ever available for an evening 9?

Have fun tomorrow lads, was hoping to make it as really enjoyed the course last year and though I could make a better fist of it this time!

I'm making my interclub debut tomorrow so have to miss out, hopefully there are no further clashes and I can make a few.

Good luck Break80 with the year ahead. Best of luck to any new members, you'll definitely enjoy it.

Benny I might be down your way a bit more the next few weeks if you're ever available for an evening 9?
    Good luck tomorrow with the inter club Big Easy. Look forward to a catch up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Break80 wrote: »
    Hi Golfers.

Timesheet for tomorrow.

If you want to stay for food you let me know and I will book it before I go out.

There might be a few tweaks to the timesheet before we go out as I have 2 free slots.
    It's very important to decline on Teamer as this is the app we use to confirm final numbers before I pay the Golf Course.

See ye all tomorrow.

Screenshot (3).png

I’ll hang around for food after Break80

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Break80 wrote: »
    Hi Golfers.

Timesheet for tomorrow.

See ye all tomorrow.

Screenshot (3).png
    I’ll stay for good Break80 , thanks. Looking forward to the boards return ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Thanks Break80 for your work in getting us back up and running. Looking forward to playing Kilkea Castle again and catching up with all the boardsies. I'll stay for food after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Folks,

Best of luck to all players on the return of the Boards GS. Hopefully its a great day for everyone.

@Break80 All the best for your Captaincy this year.

No hassle big easy hit me up any evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was lovely to be back in the swing of the Boards tour. I missed the crazy drive at high speed, late - down Irish country lanes in full growth.

Into car park, a few familiar faces and names and usernames - and new names and usernames. The strange - at times very odd, but brilliant national golf society.

My own golf is very hit and miss and my normal mid to high 20s on an away course was looking the case from about the 5th - a great course - but even slightly off tee shots - I was having scratches on holes. The rough there is a new experience for me. A lost ball on a slight error - seems harsh , but it is your own fault as the target is there in front of you.

Played with Bren2001 - and Roadrunner . It was like the group was put together on a geographical basis (North Dubs) - I've played with Roadrunner a good bit and as most know, he is a savage ball striker. We had a mini match going and that added a bit of fun to a poor day.

It was Bren2001's first outing and was a great group for pace and general atmosphere. Bren got off to a bad start with his hybrid as his club of selection - but got settled in after a few tricky holes at the start.

We had the joy of watching Shauna ahead - and you could see she had something going - her swing was so controlled and the contact with the ball was fantastic.

Kilkea - is a beautiful little course with fantastic variation of holes. The holes are set wonderfully amongst trees - the wild grass is so in today - a friend of the bees , but the death of a pull or fade.

Roadrunner won our match - was a tight game , he made the most remarkable 2 with a chip against a bank after hooding an 8 iron against a bank from a dry water hazard at the LHS of 14 - was one of the best chip ins I ever seen - you can imagine Seve would have pulled something like that off.

I would have loved to have hung around for a load of pints - but had commitments.

Whilst the weather was unreal - the hayfeaver was hard work today - I never felt right over the ball all day - and the eyes and head was at me. Really strange feeling over a few shots that I was playing left handed :confused:
    I blame the covid jab :P:D

Thanks to all again - the time effort and commitment from the few that are keeping things moving is incredible - long drives (in car), effort and arrival super early. The behind the scenes and un-thanked work.

Thanks to our great captain (Can't:P- Break80) = the last two years have been so hard for the captains and for the society.

In a decade that is and will be about female participation - I'd like to congratulate Princess Poppy and Shauna for first off, joining an online male dominated group.

Both fantastic society members and great golfers.

We are delight with Shauna kicking it out of the park - in a a venue close to her future heart.

Hopefully catch all again.

Fix.

(edit - did not know that the 42pts was beat - 44 some score around there)

Advertisement