Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News part 4 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And you won't retire with a contract still active, and if you want to anything after MMA retirement you don't have to ask the UFC permission. The contracts are too restrictive but work for the UFC.

Also I don't see any huge money fights in the HW division its fairly poor hence Jones been dropped into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Francis would have to fight the likes of Jones, Aspinall, Pavloich etc in the UFC all winnable fights obviously but far from easy, while in PFL he will likely get paid more to smash bums. I read Pettis got near 800k for his fights, imagine what Francis can earn?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Anyone going to London for 286? I think tickets are going to be an absolute fortune and I'm still tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Petermc83

Would love to go. It’s not the price I’m worried about. It’s the availability of them is the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,299 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor also handed over a many many millions to the UFC because of that contract.

Ngannou wanted 3 fights. Then the ability to fight Tyson out of contract. Then presumably would have resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm as big of a Jon Jones fan as anyone and he's definitely in the conversation for greatest of all time but he's 35 now and hasn't fought for three years. That's a long time out of the octogan. He's been in trouble a few times since his last fight too. He's no longer with Mike Winklejohn.

That's a lot of things that are different. It'd be great to see him back at his best but there's a lot of question marks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Whatever happened Greg Jackson

I have not seen him for a long time

He has very few fighters at the top these days. He had so many fighters in the 2008-2016 days that most of the gym has retired in recent years, or been cut and continued to fight elsewere.

One or two up and comers are signed to the UFC. But the only two names I can think of are Holly Holm and Michelle Waterson. And neither is really a top fighter tbf.

I see there's no thread for 283.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

May as well remove the spoiler in the title at this point, the forum is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

There was several posts discussing UFC282 several days after the event and they were all deleted by the mod because of spoilers which seems silly when the forum is fairly dead and it was days later in any case.

I just use Reddit now, massive MMA and UFC specific subreddits there with discussions on every individual fight, what's next for winners/loosers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Francis Ngannou pictured in Riyadh with Ronaldo.

If the Saudi sovereign wealth fund gets in on the MMA game via buying a promotion (or starting their own) and paying fighters Scrooge McDuck money, UFC athletes won't be long jumping ship.

The Saudi were set to buy 10% of Endeavour/UFC a few years also. But Endeavour pulled out after the Saudi Royals assassinated reporter Jamal Khashoggi. Hollywood pulled out of deals at the same time.

They might put on a tentpole event with a big prize. Saudi promotion would not be paying big bucks imo. Scrooge McDuck is apt, in creditably wealthy, but he didn't give the money away. Scrooge my name...

Saudi's are sportswashing anywhere and everywhere. They are willing to pay obscene money to try and get people to forget the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, the horrendous atrocities in Yemen and their treatment of women and LGBT+ people. Thankfully to this point it's not working despite many sports stars taking their money.

Anyway, my favourite fighter retired after 283. That's the legend Glover Texeira.

Fully aware they are trying to Sportswash (LIV Golf, F1, etc). I was pointing of that Endeavour, surprisingly, gave them their 9-figure cheque back because the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I never really got the Glover love, even his last good run was against less than Steller opposition ,

I actually was at his UFC debut back in 2012 Vegas, JDS was supposed to fight Reem but Reem tested positive & the whole card got moved around, Still got to see JDS,MIR, Cain ,Big Foot, Roy Nelson , Miocic ,Struve, Dan Hardy, Barboza,Mayhem Miller,Mike Brown,Diego Brandoa & Glover all fight ,

They don't stack cards like they used to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Remember that card well. KO fest. Back when they used to book PPVs by weight.

How is a list that includes wins over Quinton Jackson, Rashad Evans, St Preux, Cannonier and in his last five over Anthony Smith, Thiago Santos and Blachowitz less than stellar?

He never refused to get in with anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sure didn't the Saudis already own 10 percent of the UFC before the sale. Fighters still made terrible money.

• Advertisement

A lot of them wins where perfectly timed, Big names on the way out ,

Rashad has just lost to Bader, & was in the middle of a 5 loss streak ,

St Preux already had 6 losses at that point ,

Cannoiner lost 3 out of 5 as a LHW

Jackson it was his 3rd straight defeat ,

Good win over Smith who lost his next fight also ,& is mid tier fighter,

Thaigo Santo has lost 5 of his last 6,

Blachowicz was his best win i reckon & Jiri would have been even better ,

Don't get me wrong GLover is great but he isn't A GREAT in my opinion , more of a gatekeeper,

That was Abu Dhabi. Invested quite heavily in fight sports. One of the Sheiks sons was a big BJJ fan. basically trained full time for a while and earned a blackbelt.

Thiago had just lost by decision to Jon Jones and had won 8 of his previous 9.

Saint Preux was coming off consecutive wins over Rua and a one loss Cummins, his only loss at that stage was to Cormier, when he lost to Glover.

Rashaad won two fights then lost to Bader then got stopped by Glover in round 1. Rashaad had decision losses to Jones and Bader not long before fighting Glover.

And Jackson's two losses before Glover were to Jones and Bader. He won his next five after facing Glover.

As i said he's a good fighter but he was never really top tier in my opinion

Names mean f*ck all without context

Rua for example had only won 3 in 8 when he fought Saint Preux, "

Rashad lost to 3 of the previous 5 before his Glover fight & then lost the 3 after that he was done ,

Jackson was done to he went on to Bellator after the Glover fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not sure if this pic is loading, boards playing silly beggars again?

It's amazing how you disregard the level of fighter that Rashad lost to before Giover, same with Jackson. You just throw them out there as losses, no mention of title fights and a loss to Jones in the previous couple of fights.

And Saint Preux had won eight of his previous nine fights before fighting Glover. Again you fail to talk about that, just try to belittle one of his wins.

It's becoming very evident that you just don't like Glover. Maybe it's because he's bald, or Brazilian or you don't like fighters who take it to the floor but obviously you don't like him.

Glover is an all time great, not top ten but still a great. Anybody who gets into the Hall of fame is a great and Glover will get there.

I don't dislike him at all,

Infact i think he is so highly regarded because he is such a likable bloke,

He's a very good fighter but his likability is probably why people like yourself think he is a great,

Rashad lost to Daniel Kelly & Sam Alvey in his next tow fights , he won 2 of his 5 before & 1 on them wins was against a 43 year-old Henderson

Come on man by 2013 Rampage was done ,

In my eyes he got beat every time he stepped bar the victory Jan ohh actually Bader is probably his best win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Champion of the world a gatekeeper, heard it all now.

Ye you can't take that win away form him but lets be fair he beat Jan & then lost,

A bit like Forrest at LHW , or the likes of MAtt Serra at WW they had that moment but aren't top of the food chain in the division

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

To win the belt at his age is incredible and he comes across as one of the nicest guys in the sport. But there is a reason Adesanya went up to fight Blachowicz

Advertisement