Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News part 4 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Adesanya wasn't able for him.

So Blachowitz dominates Adesanya and Glover dominates and stops Blachowitz and he's not top level apparently.

Beating Anthony Smith whose only loss in his previous five was to Jon Jones obviously doesn't indicate that Glover was at a very high level before he fought Blachowitz.

Glover is an all time great and future hall of famer.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Former welterweight champion who defended his title by knocking out Georges St.-Pierre and had one of the greatest fights I can remember with another all-time great Matt Hughes.

What exactly is your point?

I think any man who was a Champion and went toe to toe with St-Pierre and inflicted one of his two defeats on him, the other being to Matt Hughes who I mention above, should be in the hall of fame

The UFC hall of fame is meaningless, Sakuraba in is there and he never even fought in the UFC, its a single organisation trying to paint itself with prestige.

But if you consider Serra in the same category as Sakuraba, then your explanation of Glover being an all time great makes sense

Sakuraba is a legend. Ever hear of Royce Gracie? Would you call him an all time great? Who was the first man, and one of only two, to defeat him? That's right it was Sakuraba. Matt Hughes, another all time great, was the other.

Sakuraba beat seven UFC champions, how many fighters can you name that did that?

I'm starting to think you haven't a clue about the history of MMA. Like these fighters you dismiss are some of the greatest in the history of the sport.

• Advertisement

You might want to read my post again I'd say.

And since I'm clueless, can you send me on a video of Serra defending his WW title by knocking out GSP?

I didn't say you were clueless, I said I'm starting to think you might be but I hadn't made my mind up yet. I see I did say that Matt Serra was defending his title, I don't know how I posted that.

But here's a video of him winning the title.

https://www.ufc.com/video/day-serra-vs-st-pierre-1-free-fight

I'm still mystified as to how you've come to the conclusion that Serra and even more so Sakuraba shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt 🙄

Its a UFC hall of fame, its an arm of the marketing department, do you think Sakuraba would be in there if they didn't have the rights to Pride?

Making the arguement that Serra should be in the hall of fame is consistent with pointing to specific fights to make the case for Glover. Sure he beat GSP in what was supposed to be a one sided fight, as was proven in their second meeting (albeit Serra's back was in bits at that point), but he also got knocked out by Shony Carter.

Applying the same logic, they should be putting Pena in for beating Nunez, when it was blatantly obvious that the first fight was fluke. If the criteria is championship gold, lets get Nico Montano in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,299 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I rad his comment to be that Saku shouldn't be there because he never fought in the UFC. Undermining the whole thing.

And the Serra is nowhere near Saku's legendary status. That if you put Serra on Saku's level, then you open the flood gates to all sorts.

Glover is a long way off Hall of Fame for me.

McGregor to fight Chandler later this year after they face off coaching in the Ultimate Fighter. What's the odds that it'll be the most watched Ultimate Fighter in history?

I fancy Chandler ko's or subs Conor.

• Advertisement

Great send off for Fedor by Bellator and also great to see that he still lives rent free in Dana's head

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Legendary photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Just realised that Yair v Emmet is for the interim title, while the actual champ is fighting on the same card. Ridiculous. Emmet lost his last 2 fights and Yair is on a 1 fight win streak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

I think you have emett confused with someone else

Yep you're right I do. 😂

Who would you have fight for the interim instead?

I wouldn't have an interim at all. The champion is fighting on the same card, that's nuts to me! Theres no clear contender at 145 not like he's holding up the division.

If volk wins he most will likely relinquish the featherweight belt anyway, and if he loses he could defend the featherweight end of summer.

Volks is fighting in another division on the same card. So kinda irrelevant to an interim or not. If he was fighting next month on a different card it’s the sane scenario.

He hasn’t defended in 6 months. Win or lose it’ll be 6-9 more months before he fights at FW again. I’m ok with an interim if the champ is unavailable for 12months+. If he was injured abd out fir 12 months, I’d be fine right? Same thing as far the the other contenders are concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Promotion for this is dreadful, I honestly didn't know it was on until this week. Champion vs champion, p4p #1 vs #2, deserved some much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It's a hugely exciting fight, that Dana more or less ignored for his power slap shite.

Should be a great fight, Volk is like a honey badger

• Advertisement

I have decided I'm not staying up for ppv's that go on so late anymore unless they are really big. This one is huge and I can't wait for it. I think Volks might do it. He's just so smart and prepares so specifically for every opponent. I can see this being a slow dance in the middle of the octagon for quite a while.

I can see it being very difficult for Makhachev to get Volkanovski to the floor and Alexander will have a lot more power at lightweight. He weighed over 210 lbs when he played rugby league so any increase in weight adds power.

My mates cousin, Jamie Mullarkey, is fighting on that card. He's training with Volkanovski now and did lots with him for his fight.

He's fighting Nasrat Haqparast and it should be an entertaining fight, all of Jamie's are.

This card deserves its own a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Greg Hardy KO'd in his BKFC debut.

He should go to Bellator, he would probably have reasonable success there.

Darren Till removed from the UFC roster. I doubt they cut him? Must be doing the McGregor loophole of retirement to take banned substances. Think TJ did it too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Could've easily just been cut. Hes lost 5 of his last 6 fights. In reality, hes lost 6 of his last 7. Maybe even 7 in a row. I think the Gastleum fight was at best a draw and the Thompson fight was absolute comical robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His been really really poor ,

His wrestling is hilariously bad, he falls over like a 70 year old ,

He has been in the UFC for 8 years & just got worse & worse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He got to big for his boots to early & didn't put the work in

• Advertisement

Preferred stealing taxis, smashing up hotel rooms, drink driving.

Advertisement