Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News part 4 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    Whats “Sence� Somebody posted that the other day and I thought it was a typo. But there it is again.
    For some reason I think they are trying to spell sensei.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

It was probably me both times, forgot the i at the end. Doh!!

Yeah I know most gyms don't get the UFC money but I can't help but feel sorry for KF. They are the only losers in this.

I know Kavanagh did the graft, still regard him as a 'rent a quote' and a bit of a snake oil salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It was probably me both times, forgot the i at the end. Doh!!

Yeah I know most gyms don't get the UFC money but I can't help but feel sorry for KF. They are the only losers in this.

I know Kavanagh did the graft, still regard him as a 'rent a quote' and a bit of a snake oil salesman.
    They’ll definitely lose out on the next few fights.
    I find it really strange so close to a fight tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Whelo79 wrote: »

Basically blaming his missis? She's his manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's the age-old story i'm afraid.

Layla does a lot in the world of football too, I wonder maybe if she has seen too much of the pampering elite football players get and was trying to take this into Ian's career?

I can understand a manager wanting the best for the athlete, but all too often a wife/girlfriend being the athletes manager does not end well. She comes across as someone who goes 100% at every single thing she does, fully committed. I'd imagine her approach to business and relationships are similar.

The response (if we get one) will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Mrs is his manager? Disaster
    Feel for Tom and Chris they put alot of time and effort into him and will now miss out on the journey ahead which looks like the UFC. Undoubtedly the most exciting Irish fighter since Conor.

rob316 wrote: »
    The Mrs is his manager? Disaster

Yeah she is definitely s manager. Cage Warriors made reference to it just before his walk out on Saturday. They were discussing the fight almost being called on Friday because Garry apparently planned on having nobody in his corner.

The commentators said "We understand that Ian will now be cornered by Paul Hughes and Cage Warriors own Layla Anna Lee, who is Ian's manager".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Layla does a lot in the world of football too, I wonder maybe if she has seen too much of the pampering elite football players get and was trying to take this into Ian's career?

I can understand a manager wanting the best for the athlete, but all too often a wife/girlfriend being the athletes manager does not end well. She comes across as someone who goes 100% at every single thing she does,

The response (if we get one) will be interesting.

Without knowing the in's & outs sounds like a very naive move from the young lad,

Letting a new enough romantic partner come in and take control of your career that was building nicely seems a bit mental to me, Don't mix business & pleasure ,

" fully committed. I'd imagine her approach to business and relationships are similar. " Didn't see get married only a few years back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Yeah she is definitely s manager. Cage Warriors made reference to it just before his walk out on Saturday. They were discussing the fight almost being called on Friday because Garry apparently planned on having nobody in his corner.

The commentators said "We understand that Ian will now be cornered by Paul Hughes and Cage Warriors own Layla Anna Lee, who is Ian's manager".
    Without knowing the in's & outs sounds like a very naive move from the young lad,

Letting a new enough romantic partner come in and take control of your career that was building nicely seems a bit mental to me, Don't mix business & pleasure ,

" fully committed. I'd imagine her approach to business and relationships are similar. " Didn't see get married only a few years back :D

When he came out of the Octagon she ran over and hugged him then jumped up into his arms and wrapped her legs around him. to me it was a bit too much, all for the cameras. Some people may disagree, but having your wife/ GF come into the ring and congratulate you is fine, a hug and a kiss is all normal, jumping into his arms with her legs in the air was a bit school girl for me, and she's 10 years + older than him. At this point I didn't even know she was his manager, makes it more bizarre.

Wonder what he was doing in training for him to get repeated warnings. going too hard maybe? either way about a year ago I had a Twitter convo with him and I said to him "Don't go all Mcgregor on us and lose focus, make sure your training comes first and forget about all the bull****" his reply was "Don't worry, I have 2 coaches who keep me grounded and if I got too big for me boots they'd call to my house and loaf me straight" or words to that effect. Guess he may have lost the run of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

With all respect , is there a chance Ian Garry just outgrew the KF team ? Is there a limit as to how far he could go with KF and the reality is he just hit that limit ?
    Very easy to blame a new bird in the scene !!

When he came out of the Octagon she ran over and hugged him then jumped up into his arms and wrapped her legs around him. to me it was a bit too much, all for the cameras. Some people may disagree, but having your wife/ GF come into the ring and congratulate you is fine, a hug and a kiss is all normal, jumping into his arms with her legs in the air was a bit school girl for me, and she's 10 years + older than him. At this point I didn't even know she was his manager, makes it more bizarre.

Wonder what he was doing in training for him to get repeated warnings. going too hard maybe? either way about a year ago I had a Twitter convo with him and I said to him "Don't go all Mcgregor on us and lose focus, make sure your training comes first and forget about all the bull****" his reply was "Don't worry, I have 2 coaches who keep me grounded and if I got too big for me boots they'd call to my house and loaf me straight" or words to that effect. Guess he may have lost the run of himself.

I said last week that it just didn't sit right how she interrupted his interview
    You'd never see a UFC top guy let his manger let alone Girlfriend interrupt him like that ,

Straight in hand on shoulder , told the interviewer to hold on a second & told him something & when he started to talk again she interrupted again , it really came across as him being a kid being told him to say & not ,

I wonder does her kid live with them ?

Seems like a lot going on at once for the chap, fingers crossed he makes the big time ,

With all respect , is there a chance Ian Garry just outgrew the KF team ? Is there a limit as to how far he could go with KF and the reality is he just hit that limit ?

When he left he was a 6-0 pro who hadn't headlined a major card. In order to outgrow something you have to grow in the first place.

I know zero about her personal life so it's impossible to comment. The end of that relationship may not have been her choice? Or maybe she is All In until she is All Out, who knows.

Whatever the reasons and goings on, hopefully he continues to rapidly progress his career and that potential doesn't get stunted or slowed down.

We're Irish, we're not exactly known for being the most passionate of people when it comes to showing admiration and effection. I've no problem with her doing that. I think she is 15 years old than him? 23 v 38??

Maybe you should forward that tweet back on to him as a little friendly reminder. Many a good man has been blindsided by a smoking hot piece of ass.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    When he left he was a 6-0 pro who hadn't headlined a major card. In order to outgrow something you have to grow in the first place.

You think 6-0 is not growing?

Working your way to a Cage Warriors title fight is not growing?

Rounding off his skilset so well, after coming from a purely striking background, in such a relatively short space of time, is not growing?

Having the mental strength to deal with what happened over these last two weeks and still go out and put on a clinical performance, in his first ever 5 round fight, to win a title, does not show growth?

The kid is 23, his growth these last few years has been immense. I'm not saying he has outgrown Team KF, Chris and Tom are excellent coaches and they have a strong upcoming young team. But you can not for one second attempt to say Ian Garry has not grown.

He has pretty much dominated the headlines in each of the last 3 Cage Warrior trilogy events. Wether by his performances or his personality through the video diaries Cage Warriors put out.

How good are King and Fields as coaches ?

How good are King and Fields as coaches ?

Better than anything SBG have to offer IMO. King is probably one of the best BJJ coaches, competitors in Europe. Chris Fields is a very experienced fighter himself, its a new team but they have been making waves.

Come on he absolutely pissed CW so far, it wasn't long ago I was watching him in ammy fights. His growth has been phenomenal.

• Advertisement

Better than anything SBG have to offer IMO. King is probably one of the best BJJ coaches, competitors in Europe. Chris Fields is a very experienced fighter himself, its a new team but they have been making waves.

Yeah good to hear….

Hopefully more prospects start to emege from their camp in the years to come.

Both are good but for me King is one of them really rare guys , he is extremely talented at coaching the ground game ,

Very interested to see where Garry goes form here he has talent no question but he has also be fighting guys who aren't close to UFC level fighters ,
    Grant for example was 2-2 in his last 4 , now has only won 2 of his last 5 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Very unlikely if the Team KF statement is accurate.

Behaviour towards teammates, coaches, uncoachable.
    Not something I'd associate with a natural outgrowing of a club.

Well they were SBG up until about 18 months ago. The reality most (not all) of the experienced MMA in Ireland has roots in SBG.
    But the top level does seem to the drifting over time.

Both are good but for me King is one of them really rare guys , he is extremely talented at coaching the ground game ,

Very interested to see where Garry goes form here he has talent no question but he has also be fighting guys who aren't close to UFC level fighters ,
    Grant for example was 2-2 in his last 4 , now has only won 2 of his last 5 ,

Tom King is excellent at what he does alright.

Jack Grant was 2-2 in his last 4, but those 2 loses were title fights. He was also 8-2 if you look over his last 10 fights.

No doubt though that the quality of fighter in Cage Warriors is nowhere near close in comparison to what Ian will face when he goes to the UFC. A move to an American gym might be the best idea for him. Get some top class sparring partners around him before he hits the UFC. But he may have to reign in his personality/ego a bit if he does, as he might rub some people up the wrong way.

Tom King is excellent at what he does alright.

Jack Grant was 2-2 in his last 4, but those 2 loses were title fights. He was also 8-2 if you look over his last 10 fights.

No doubt though that the quality of fighter in Cage Warriors is nowhere near close in comparison to what Ian will face when he goes to the UFC. A move to an American gym might be the best idea for him. Get some top class sparring partners around him before he hits the UFC. But he may have to reign in his personality/ego a bit if he does, as he might rub some people up the wrong way.

I think your right but i also thing an American move is off the table with the missus working for BT,

You think 6-0 is not growing?

Pump the brakes there chief.

I never said he wasn't growing. It was suggested that he had OUTGROWN Team KF. In order to outgrow something, you have to have reached a certain level of growth in the first place.

Maybe he considers 6-0 as a pro as having outgrown the team, maybe he sees Conor McGregor when he looks in the mirror, maybe he thinks he's the second coming of GSP and would beat Usman with his eyes closed.......... but you'll struggle to find too many who will say he's outgrown Team KF at this point.
    I'm not saying he has outgrown Team KF, Chris and Tom are excellent coaches and they have a strong upcoming young team.

So we agree with each other. Not sure the rant was necessary.

Come on he absolutely pissed CW so far, it wasn't long ago I was watching him in ammy fights. His growth has been phenomenal.

Again, the question was not whether he'd been growing or not, but whether he considers himself bigger than the team now and has outgrown them.

Of course he is GROWING but he has not GROWN to that level just yet in my opinion

Pump the brakes there chief.

I never said he wasn't growing. It was suggested that he had OUTGROWN Team KF. In order to outgrow something, you have to have reached a certain level of growth in the first place.

Maybe he considers 6-0 as a pro as having outgrown the team, maybe he sees Conor McGregor when he looks in the mirror, maybe he thinks he's the second coming of GSP and would beat Usman with his eyes closed.......... but you'll struggle to find too many who will say he's outgrown Team KF at this point.

So we agree with each other. Not sure the rant was necessary.

Maybe you need to be a bit more specific with what you write, we can only reply to your choice of words which were
    In order to outgrow something you have to grow in the first place.

Maybe you need to be a bit more specific with what you write, we can only reply to your choice of words which were

I made the mistake in assuming everyone would be able to take the entire context of the conversation into consideration and know I didn't mean that he wasn't growing, but he hadn't yet grown to the level spoken about in the posts.

But turns out I was wrong.

• Advertisement

I made the mistake in assuming everyone would be able to take the entire context of the conversation into consideration and know I didn't mean that he wasn't growing, but he hadn't yet grown to the level spoken about in the posts.

But turns out I was wrong.

The 'entire context' was one poster had suggested maybe he had outgrown Team KF and that people shouldn't straight off the bat presume it was his girlfriends doing.

You responded to that saying as previously quoted.

Thanks for clearing things up anyway. We are all in agreement, happy families.

Advertisement