Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Williams Grove Ardclough, Straffan

Options
  • 04-06-2021 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Anyone reserved in this new estate? We loved the area (lot's of green) we are from Dublin and working in Dublin although not the city centre. While the cost isn't any less, the shortage of houses made us widen the search.

We are familiar with Straffan, love the area but never heard of Ardclough just somewhere you'd drive through & miss probably. It's 5 min from K Club and the houses look lovely, but you never know.

Reserved a double fronted, no showhouse they were selling from plans and it's actually built but not finished told circa Aug for snagging. Still can't get over the ridiculous cost of every new build but needs must!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

niniboots wrote: »
    Anyone reserved in this new estate? We loved the area (lot's of green) we are from Dublin and working in Dublin although not the city centre. While the cost isn't any less, the shortage of houses made us widen the search.

We are familiar with Straffan, love the area but never heard of Ardclough just somewhere you'd drive through & miss probably. It's 5 min from K Club and the houses look lovely, but you never know.

Reserved a double fronted, no showhouse they were selling from plans and it's actually built but not finished told circa Aug for snagging. Still can't get over the ridiculous cost of every new build but needs must!!!

Have you a link to the plans? Couldn’t find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

There isn't any show houses as they are selling from plans, 49 houses. Seems to be 4 bed & 5 bed in next phase but there was 2 left 3 bed in phase 1.

The area is very rural, Straffan village is 4km, kill the opposite side 5km & Celbridge is 10 min drive. Ardclough itself is just one church & GAA �� there is a redevelopment plan for the area though & new estate has gp, chemist & creche. It's also beside S. Annes National School which is new upgraded addition, so handy if you have young kids. Not much else so I suppose you would need to love countryside small village vibe in immediate vicinity, which suits us. To my knowledge full scale site plans with house elevation are available on Kildare Co Council.
    https://coonan.com/property/williams-grove/

Well should have known to good to be true. Got our contacts and check planning the developers omitted to include they were building a waste water treatment plant 50 meters to the front green. The green area is now going to be a stink factory for the whole village. It's been ridiculously difficult to get anything and we loved the houses, they are fab. Just can't get over the problems it may bring. It's an upgrade to the village so not just service to the houses. There will also be a temp sewage system until its built circa 24mths. Too many unknowns and a heap of local 'concerns' means we are pulling out. Back to the drawing board. If you see a cancellation coming up for a gorgeous 3bed here you know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Nice houses, but it is not Straffan. It is Ardlcough, Co.Kildare.

ronaneire wrote: »
    Nice houses, but it is not Straffan. It is Ardlcough, Co.Kildare.

Yes, I was quoting the address the developers used and actually it's the eir code too. We loved Ardclough and liked that it was outside Straffan, really dissapointed to have to pull out.

• Advertisement

Yes, I was quoting the address the developers used and actually it's the eir code too. We loved Ardclough and liked that it was outside Straffan, really dissapointed to have to pull out.

They've being building them for quite a good few years now, no end in sight for them being close to completed.

On the address part. It is 100% Ardclough Co.Kildare. Both Ardclough and Straffan are relatively close. They most likely put Straffan in the address to make them more appealing.

Yes, that's what we suspected when we drove down ref. The Straffan add on to the address.

17 houses built will be ready Aug but they are using a temporary septic tank. The remaining are being built and the intention is to add sewage waste water treatment plant for 1000 capacity. It stated circa 24mths with an additional 18mths to clear site. Maybe it will all work out fine but there were so many maybe's we didn't proceed with sale. It's a shame, the houses were actually lovely.

Yes, that's what we suspected when we drove down ref. The Straffan add on to the address.

17 houses built will be ready Aug but they are using a temporary septic tank. The remaining are being built and the intention is to add sewage waste water treatment plant for 1000 capacity. It stated circa 24mths with an additional 18mths to clear site. Maybe it will all work out fine but there were so many maybe's we didn't proceed with sale. It's a shame, the houses were actually lovely.

Hopefully they will turn out okay. The sewage is a disaster, the builder thought he could tap into the local waste tank that is currently there. As it is, it is under pressure.

Ardclough is a nice village. The canal so close by, access to the N7 and Hazelhatch train only minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd have no issues living near a modern waste water treatment plant, especially a small one for 1,000 houses.

You don't get any odors off them as it's all done inside with no escaping of smells.

But not a great location. You'll need the car for everything.

I'd go straffan itself. Or look further like Naas where there's a decent train service (sallins) getting a much improved frequency next year.

"You don't get any odors off them as it's all done inside with no escaping of smells"

Hopefully anyone who buys won't have issues but we had a report done & the civil engineer noted the existing pipe work from old properties, plus a school with foul sewer issues and no additional greese traps, only one pipe newly replaced on the village network etc., that there was a potential to cause odours in the future. They had also changed plans twice to reduce cost & one above ground tank. Our family live 3km away from one (upgraded) in another county & they have regular odours, not all the time but they are there. Our issue was if we decided to move to another county in the future we would have difficulty selling. I probably would have taken a chance because we loved the house, if all pipes connected were updated too, but I think if you took a straw poll on who would buy 50meters from one, most would be concerned. In the end the main issue was the 17 houses available were being connected to a separate holding tank until the new plant was built. It would have been collected by waste company twice weekly & this was being organised via Developer.

Yes, you need a car for sure. We had no issues with the area, very beautiful but maybe that's because I grew up countryside!

Best of luck to anyone that buys and I actually hope it's okay in the future. I still believe they made a big mistake locating it where they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 antoblv

@niniboots Thank you so very much for posting this ! You saved us from potentially making a huge mistake.

After reading your post, I found everything you discovered backed up at Kildare County Council online, including the detailed map showing the plant. Boards doesn't let me to post links proper, all documents are here (replace -DOT- with .), click on "Scanned Files":

www-DOT-eplanning-DOT-ie/KildareCC/AppFileRefDetails/181109/0

Thank you again. Hope you found your house. Meanwhile, we are back to the drawing board as well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublad882

Hi. They are still building new houses there at the minute. Does anyone that currently lives there recommend the estate? Is ardclough quiet? Too quiet maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Niniboots said -

“In the end the main issue was the 17 houses available were being connected to a separate holding tank until the new plant was built. It would have been collected by waste company twice weekly & this was being organised via Developer.”

So the developer goes bust, who pays to get rid of the poo then ??

Yeah that doesnt sound great but I would like to get the opinion of people living there would you recommend a move? The houses look really beautiful and the surrounding area looks nice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't live there but know the area very well. It really is a suburb of Celbridge or possibly Straffan (which doesn't have much in itself).

There's a primary school, a GAA club, a church and a small local shop. Lyons cafe is also nearby. Other than that, you've nothing nearby so you'll be dependant on car or bike to do shopping, etc. so factor that into your costings.

Thanks Seth. Appreciate that will do!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Should have added (as I wasn't trying to sound overly negative) that Ardclough is a lovely quiet area with a number of nice walks either along the canal or up Boston Hill or towards Straffan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smileyscientist

H, we are currently looking to

buy around the area too and are considering Williams Grove but like the previous posters are concerned about the potential smell especially in the warmer summer days. We would appreciate it if anyone that lives there could shed some light on it!

Advertisement