Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 Draft - Picks Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Going to take one of the best strikers in recent times in order to close off a front 3 of top class players.

Luis Suarez is my pick.

luis-suarez-uruguay-ghana_1w4yxg182y4ww11eowuvjqwtva.jpg?t=-1333432221&quality=100

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Andy-Robertson-Casemiro-Liverpool-752x428.jpg

Every team needs a bastard, this guy is a world class bastard.

A key part of Real Madrid's serial Champions League winners, this guy will bring some serious steel to my midfield. Athletic and tough, he'll ensure we won't be bullied.

Pick no. 5 is Casemiro

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphael Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini
    5. Casemiro

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Edison Cavani

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

With Suarez taken I needed to think of a plan B, I want an all round forward who can lead a line by himself and there are not many better at it than this man. Capable of scoring all types of goals and also likes dropping deep which will allow my supporting cast to make runs in behind.

Six Ligue 1 titles along with a number of other trophies at club and international level. He broke over 20 goals 9 seasons in a row between his time with Napoli and PSG (including 49 goals in 50 games one year for PSG).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My next pick is one of the best defenders in the world and the captain of PSG. He's been named in UEFA's Champions League squad of the season for the last two years. He's also capable of operating in midfield and was deployed there by Tuchel for PSG's run to the Champions League final in 2020. He is...

marquinhos-psg-ligue-1_1d5w7s5vet3h215184la20tuxn.jpg?t=-1894564395&quality=60&h=300

...Marquinhos.

Not only a quality player but also a leader who can pose a good threat aerially into the bargain. He should prove useful.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Champions League winner.
    Copa America winner.
    Serie A winner.
    Ligue 1 winner.

Widely considered one of the great CBs of his generation.

Quick, strong, can defend on the front foot or with the team's back against the wall.

He will also be my captain, helping to form a formidable spine to the team.

Thiago Silva

q-9rKyA2fLfk4qAE4hRCubHtj3JLEdCN4zDQDUQz-tcUD6gmcjSC_-QGJC5wSq2xePlM8GTHvmrqixmKQH3pMT3NohJ5F5_uYiEIHVz2HhoSiMi5S08hayA7cYz3LObXunAHXiy1aYzmP1Q

Team
    Silva
    De Ligt
    Busquets
    De Bruyne
    Van Basten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Arturo Vidal

One of if not the best box to box midfielders of his generation.

8EfMqNU.jpeg

Team so far.
    Benzema
    Bale
    Thiago
    Baresi
    Vidal

Sadio Mané

fifa-world-cup-2018-russia-poland-v-senegal-5c24f6c030305cc332000001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

My pick for round 5 is....

Fabinho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

My net pick was one of the best players in the world for a few years at his peak. he has tailed off in recent seasons but lead Chile to back to back Copa Americas in 2015 and 2016, scoring the winning penalty in 15 and then winning player of the tournament in 16. It's Alexis Sanchez

Alexis-Sanchez.jpg

• Advertisement

Getting back to the Euro 2020 picks, next up for me is a midfielder who's just sealed a huge transfer to PSG. He's been one of the most important players in Liverpool's recent successes while also being a mainstay in the Dutch national team.

Georginio Wijnaldum

0_GettyImages-1229633399.jpg

My next pick is...

Leroy Sane

He wasn't good enough for Tony Pulis but he'll do for me.

Serge Gnabry

2_Germany-vs-Northern-Ireland-Frankfurt-19-Nov-2019.jpg

TEAM
    1. Andy Robertson
    2. Jordan Henderson
    3. Joao Cancelo
    4. Zidane
    5. Sadio Mané
    6. Serge Gnabry

Paul Pogba

Paul-Pogba-Manchester-United-3.jpg

the subject of the most annoying transfer saga since Gareth Bale to Real Madrid.

as exciting an English talent as there is, and has been producing, consistently, playing any game he is fit, and being one of the foremost talismen for Dortmund, for a couple of seasons now.

brilliant control, excellent in transition and quick. he can also pick a pass, which is never a bad thing.

Jadon Sancho

111019-800-jadon-sancho-celeb.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&thn=0

Team
    Silva
    De Ligt
    Busquets
    De Bruyne
    Sancho
    Van Basten

I'm going to turn towards my goalkeeper position now. This man has won a league title at every club he's been with, including for both Madrid sides.

He also won the Golden Glove award at the 2018 World Cup. He is...

EdFG4vBXoAA3xjS.jpg

...Thibaut Courtois.

He'll be a reliable last line of defence.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos
    6. Thibaut Courtois

• Advertisement

Cesar Azpilicueta

0_GettyImages-1320724846.jpg

The picks are getting difficult as hard to know who will still be available come the tenth round for the final special pick. So with that in mind I am going to go with Azpilicueta, a top defender who is versatile and can play a number of positions and comfortable in a few formations. He is a wicked crosser of the ball too and Cavani will be a great target.

Fresh off captaining Chelsea to a Champions League, he has won many titles and Cup competitions during his time with them and is a real team player, which I feel is a theme throughout the majority of my squad.

antonio-rudiger.jpg

Chelsea's upturn in form this season coincided with the reinstatement of this man into the team and he was central to the miserly defence that brought them both champions league qualification and victory.

He's tall, strong and fast. He'll dominate in the air and loves to drive forward with the ball.

Pick no. 6 is Antonio Rüdiger.

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphael Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini
    5. Casemiro
    6. Antonio Rüdiger

A great complement to Hummels and provides a balanced CB pairing.

Aymeric Laporte

aymeric-laporte-set-to-choose-spain-over-france-for-euro-2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

My next pick is an ever present in a City team, which is an achievement in itself given how Pep likes to rotate.
    Adds great pace to the backline and is exceptional as a last man with his recovery runs. Himself and Salah on the right side will be an awesome combination.

He is Kyle Walker

p58621.png

Team so far
    abV1YHeahp.png
    Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Let's make it 3 picks in a row of Man City players!

I hears a lot recently (mostly ESPNs coverage kept going on about it) that the reason City didn't win the champions league was because they didn't start this man. You need balance to your formation and he will help give my side that.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Rodri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Gonna have to fill out my Full back positions I think.

On the righthand side I am picking Champions League winner Reece James.

Perhaps the best all rounder of England's Right Backs and boy do they have some right backs to pick from.

U29KhzFfx47QkvTRTUqMD7-970-80.jpg.webp

For my left back spot I'll go with the best left back in the PL this season and maybe the most improved player under Ole.

Luke Shaw

Luke.Shaw_.jpg

When there are drafters that have the likes of Ronaldo and Messi on the same side in this draft then you are going to need some top notch defenders to try to cope. So maybe I am taking a risk when I have already added a class DM like Rodri last round in front of Maldini and Bonucci but no I am not going to add to my attackers (Lewandowski & Neymar) and instead I will add another center back.

A man who has been linked to almost every big side. The rock at the heart of inter Milan's scudetto winning side and a man who transfermarkt.com rate as being over 50 million more valuable than anyone else in his Slovakian Euro2020 squad

thumb2-milan-skriniar-4k-slovak-football-player-inter-milan-fc-defender-internazionale-fc.jpg
    Milan Skriniar

My next pick is his countries most capped player and all time leading scorer.
    He is also Napoli's all time appearance holder and up until recently their outright all time top goal scorer.

He is going to not only add goals from midfield, but adds a bit of steel to the middle of the park.

goal_marek-hamsik-cropped_110jv1zg8e0qt1e0q01a7ei40g.jpg?size=1000x&ext=jpeg

'The Prince of Naples' Marek Hamsik

My next pick is one I deliberated over quite a bit as I think there are still a lot of good players on this position but my next pick has shown this season that in addition to being a world class deep lying playmaker that he can also get forward with devastating effect.

Has been part of multiple title wins with both Dortmund and City and has a near 1 in 4 goal record in a Germany career that has unfortunately been interrupted by injury a bit too much. It's obvious though that when fit, he has been one of the best midfielders in the world the last decade. Gives me flexibility to set up a couple of ways in midfield depending on who's available in the later rounds as he can play any role in midfield.

Ilkay Gundogan

NINTCHDBPICT000411984925.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fbvbbuzz.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1148779285-850x560.jpeg

A key player in Portugal's 2016 Euro triumph (and named in the team of the tournament), this guy has gone on to establish himself as one of the top left backs in Europe with Dortmund. An absolute menace on the overlap, he will be as much an asset going forward as he is at the back.

Pick no. 7 is Raphaël Guerreiro

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphael Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini
    5. Casemiro
    6. Antonio Rüdiger
    7. Raphaël Guerreiro

Lads I hope this pick doesn't seem distasteful or ingenuine in any way, but it was between this man and Marek Hamsik for me yesterday before yesterday's awful event happened.

Christian Eriksen

image.jpg

An unbelievable talent, as Irish fans we have learnt about him the hard way when he has dominated proceedings against us on multiple occasions, including a hat trick in the playoff for world cup. He was brilliant for Spurs for a long time, averaging a goal or assist every other game and made it into the PL team of the year, has won titles at both Ajax and Inter now too.

Yesterday was one of the most tragic/upsetting things I've ever witnessed on a football pitch. Was so happy to see the images of him conscious on that stretcher and I think I say on behalf of every football fan in the world that hopefully he makes a full, swift recovery.

My next pick played every game at right-back for France in the 2018 World Cup except for the group game with Denmark where they rested players. He scored perhaps the goal of the tournament into the bargain.

He has also won the league and Champions League with Bayern and scored the winning goal in the Club World Cup Final.

He is...

ipanews_fc507ae4-d1f8-4a39-9fce-8d172740e12d_1

...Benjamin Pavard.

200.gif

A reliable performer that can play several positions.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos
    6. Thibaut Courtois
    7. Benjamin Pavard

Premier League winner.
    One of the fulcrums of the star studded Portuguese team.
    He is the engine that keeps going, and is wonderfully creative to boot.

He can be part of my midfield 3, or front 3.

Bernardo Silva

bsilva2.jpg

Thiago Silva
    De Ligt
    Busquets
    De Bruyne
    Bernardo Silva
    Sancho
    Van Basten

Kieran Trippier

• Advertisement

Time to add more eye candy class to my midfield.

Leon Goretzka

TALKSPORT-LEON-GORETZKA.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=1200&h=800&crop=1

Adding to my defence, my next pick is one of the finest left backs in the Premier League…

lucas-digne-199655.png

Lucas Digne

On mobile so need to keep it brief, filling my 2 full back slots. Meunier and Chilwell

Another fullback pick here, and my next pick is…

424EF5B500000578-0-image-a-63_1499975556515.jpg

Nelson Semedo

hamlets-soliloquy.jpg

"To be, or not to be, that is the question."

Toby Alderweireld

toby_alderweireld_of_belgium_in_action_during_the_fifa_2018_worl_547007.jpg

Team
    1. Andy Robertson
    2. Jordan Henderson
    3. Joao Cancelo
    4. Zidane
    5. Sadio Mané
    6. Serge Gnabry
    7. Leon Goretzka
    8. Toby Alderweireld

Memphis Depay

15992511355896.jpg

So important is he that Steve Clarke fits him and Andy Robertson in the same team.

He can play LB and the left of a back 3, so is versatile too.

The most expensive Scottish player ever, and the most expensive from the Scottish league.

Quick, strong, a leader. Also a superb crosser of the ball. One of the few bright spots in a tepid Arsenal season.

Delighted to add his steel to the team.

Kieran Tierney

0_14429067.jpg

Thiago Silva
    De Ligt
    Tierney
    Busquets
    De Bruyne
    Bernardo Silva
    Sancho
    Van Basten

Been a big fan of this player for a while now. He's the defensive partner of Marquinhos at PSG and is coming off a fine individual season. He's widely expected to line up for tournament favourites France alongside Raphael Varane. He is...

kimpembe.png

...Presnel Kimpembe.

He made one of the best last ditch tackles I saw last season against Yilmaz despite being injured in the sprint.

With this pick I now have 3/4 of the expected France backline, plus Marquinhos. Delighted with that.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos
    6. Thibaut Courtois
    7. Benjamin Pavard
    8. Presnel Kimpembe

On the phone and still half asleep so will keep it brief - David de Gea.

• Advertisement

0_GettyImages-1000030188.jpg

My next pick is France's undisputed number one and world cup winning captain. A commanding presence in the box and world class shot stopper, he'll provide a superb last line of defence.

Pick no. 8 is Hugo Lloris

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphaël Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini
    5. Casemiro
    6. Antonio Rüdiger
    7. Raphaël Guerreiro
    8. Hugo Lloris

Spent too long thinking about this, sometimes it's the first thing that's the simplest and most obvious. Need a right back? Italy's first choice is available? Pick him.

Florenzi is another incredibly experienced leader and with an attacking focus and versatility, brings even more of a threat to my team.

alessandro-florenzi-italia-1621255777-62593.jpg?lm=1621255791

My next pick even at just 24 is a complete all rounder. Determined, energetic, technically gifted and can tackle as well.

He will dovetail well with Hamsik in the centre of the pitch.

medium_2021-06-08-45643feab9.jpg

Youri Tielemans

At the moment the most valuable player in the spanish squad as per transfermarkt, who can play in a couple of positions , the same site says he's a CM who can also play as a second striker or a right midfielder but he currently starts for Spain at RB ahead of Azpilicuta. A player who can get a goal or an assist as he showed by getting double figure in both categories for the La Liga champions this year.

He is...
    Marcos Llorente
    thumb2-marcos-llorente-2020-atletico-madrid-fc-4k-black-uniform.jpg

VApEn9.gif

Much like Liam O said - if Italys number 1 is available in the 8th round and you need a keeper then go with the obvious choice

He is the best keeper left on the normal board - At the age of just 22 he has an incredible amount of appearances for both club and country.

Gianluigi Donnarumma

1233289993.0.jpg

Round 9

One of the key men in Chelsea's CL win - Mason Mount

0be3f5c0-3551-4b1e-a627-9f8d3ee894fa.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone who has been playing football manager or the like through the years probably knows this player as he was always a quality pickup to cover your whole right flank. Yes we get them at their peak but I reckon he would be more of a household name if he hadn't picked up so many injuries because he has been Croatia's starting RB in the world cup final and played RB or RM for Inter and Atletico Madrid the past several years.
    Sime Vrsaljko
    Vrsaljko.jpg

so as of now my formation might look something like this

abV3apNalP.png

Finishing off my defence is another player who captains their country, adding to Neuer, Alaba, Hamsik and Salah.
    Adding more leadership is a player with over 100 caps for Denmark and has played in Italy, Spain, Germany and France.

A no nonsense defender who will slot in nicely beside Pepe.

Simon%20Kjaer%20Denmark%20captain%20GettyImages-1233415704.jpg
    Simon Kjaer

abV3iwgaew.png
    Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

Don't think this player has been picked yet and it actually surprised me so might as well take him now.

He will sit behind Mathäus and Gundogan and allow them to burst forward whenever suits and really control the midfield. Recent champions league winner, Jorginho.

hi-res-f62ee7ec3764306a49ada8383fc1df2d_crop_north.jpg?1536352518&w=3072&h=2048

italy-v-spain-group-a-2019-uefa-u-21-championship-5d0a2312f593ccd1ec000001jpg.jpg

Previously the main man for Fiorentina and this year a bright spark in an otherwise poor season for Juventus, this pick is a pacy and direct winger. Capable of playing on either flank, he has an eye for both a goal and an assist, picking up 15 and 11 respectively in all competitions in the season just gone (including the winner in the Coppa Italia). He is also a player who works hard for the team and doesn't shirk his defensive duties, so I know he won't leave my full back exposed.

Pick no. 9 is Frederico Chiesa

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphaël Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini
    5. Casemiro
    6. Antonio Rüdiger
    7. Raphaël Guerreiro
    8. Hugo Lloris
    9. Frederico Chiesa

Yuri Zhirkov

silva.semi.600.jpg

These few picks have been tough because you are trying to predict who will still be available in the next round, so for this reason I am opting to fill my left back slot.

A man who is still togging out for Russia and probably won't tear up trees at this years Euros, but he definitely did in Euro 2008 when he made it into the team of the tournament having dragged Russia to a semi final along with Andrei Arshavin. He was brilliant in that tournament as he bombed up and down the wing, he then became the most expensive Russian player at the time when he moved to Chelsea for £18m, where he won a league in his first season. Has won 5+ Russian titles and even more cup competitions in the league he has spent most of his career. Not the flashiest player in the draft but a decent left back at this stage IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement