Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 Draft - Picks Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted to get this man at this late stage. He's the captain of Atletico Madrid and coming off a great season where he played 37 games of their title win. He also won La Liga with them in 2013-14. He's played over 500 times for the club in total and has also won 2 Europa League Titles and 2 Super Cups. He's been named in the La Liga, Champions League and Europa League squads of the season throughout his career.

At international level, he's won over 50 caps for Spain and started their opener against Sweden where his 103 passes was more than the Sweden team combined managed with 89. Xavi said of him:

"He has everything: talent, physical ability, he is a footballer of the present and the future... He has been marked out as the conductor of Spain's orchestra for the next 10 years. I have a special affection for him because we play in the same position and I think he is an extraordinary player."

He is...

2.59987797.jpg

...Koke.

He'll fit in nicely with Kimmich in midfield.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos
    6. Thibaut Courtois
    7. Benjamin Pavard
    8. Presnel Kimpembe
    9. Koke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Has perennially been on the shopping lists of Europe's biggest clubs throughout his career.

Also part of the Croatian team to make it to the World Cup Final in 2018. He also scored in knocking out England.

Ivan Perisic

ivan_perisic_croatia_.jpeg

Thiago Silva
    De Ligt
    Tierney
    Busquets
    De Bruyne
    Bernardo Silva
    Sancho
    Perisic
    Van Basten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Leonardo Spinazzola

Man of the match in Italy's last game from left back not bad.

He's been known as 'The Rash' due to his man marking ability and when he isn't touch tight, he's a couple of moves ahead of everyone else.

- Team of the Tournament at the 2014 World Cup.
    - Serie A Defender of the Year - 19/20
    - Serie A Team of the Season - 19/20
    - Europa League Team of the Season - 19/20

Stefan de Vrij

article-2708252-1FD4218E00000578-1_306x524.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Never did I think a winger of this quality would still be available this late in the draft, but I’m thrilled to select a player with not just incredible talent and athleticism, but also an incredible CV at just 25 years old. A Champions League winner and the scorer of the winning goal in the 2020 final (and man of the match in the very same), a World Club Cup winner, 4 domestic cup medals to his name but by far the most impressive of all; he’s won a league title in every season of his professional career so far, so hopefully he proves to be a good luck charm for me as well here. He is….

motm_20200824011114.jpg

Kingsley Coman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

My next pick gives me some flexibility in my midfield/attack. Described by Wenger as the "complete midfielder" he's had an up and down time with injuries but at his peak around Euro 16 and indeed at that tournament he proved to be one of the best attacking midfielders around

Aaron Ramsey

skysports-aaron-ramsey-wales_5408576.jpg?20210607225033

I think this pick was my toughest decision of the draft as I was struggling to decide between 2 players in the same position, I've changed my mind 4/5 times since starting this post even.

I've gone with the player who has had an amazing career and is unlucky to miss out this summer. 1 World cup, 2 Euros, 4 champions leagues, 5 La Ligas, 11 appearances in the FIFPro TOTY, 9 in the UEFA TOTY and voted best defender in La Liga 5 times.

180 caps for Spain with nearly 750 club appearances. He brings a goalscoring threat, leadership and a nasty edge when needed to my team.

Sergio Ramos

image.jpg

Based on the way Dr. Kenneth's team was shaping up, I knew there'd be 2 players on the table here and whichever one he chose would make my decision easy to take the other one. My final pick is course....

PA-39105519-copy.jpg

Virgil Van Dijk

GOD

euro-2012-zlatan-ibrahimovic-sweden-france_3488865.jpg

Gerard Pique
    4 Champions League
    1 World Cup
    1 Euros
    8 La Liga
    Plus loads More.

dca772c15181d78b8bb9cbf5e8156042.jpg

Team so far.

Gk
    Trippier Pique Baresi Spinazzola
    Thiago Vidal Pogba
    Bale Benzema Memphis

• Advertisement

I can't not have this man, and Kevin De Bruyne, in the same team.

The assist king at full back.
    Also, statistically, a better defensive right back than his English peers.
    Vying for the title of most talented footballer (certainly English one) of his generation.
    Future Liverpool captain.

Of course, I'm talking about...

Trent Alexander-Arnold

0_TAA.png

I don't condone the hair though.

Team

Alexander-Arnold
    Thiago Silva
    De Ligt
    Tierney
    Busquets
    Bernardo Silva
    De Bruyne
    Sancho
    Perisic
    Van Basten

I had a few ideas in mind for this round but I couldn't pass this lad up. Simply a goalscoring phenomenon. He finished the most recent season as Champions League top scorer with 10 goals, and bagged 27 Bundesliga goals in 28 games. One of the most coveted strikers in the game. He is...

Erling-Haaland.jpg

...Erling Haaland.

The chance to put this guy alongside Mbappe and Henry was too good to ignore.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos
    6. Thibaut Courtois
    7. Benjamin Pavard
    8. Presnel Kimpembe
    9. Koke
    10. Erling Haaland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Arjen Robben

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcc%2Fc8%2F82291f865990e3ff082f8db3ff3d%2Fla-sp-sn-bayern-munich-champions-league-201305-001

I've alluded a few times to the last couple of picks being difficult as I was trying to plan who was going to be available for me come this round. It has paid off as the player I had my eye on has made his way through!

An electric winger who is without doubt one of the best of the last 20 years, his trademark move of cutting in on his left was unstoppable despite most defenders knowing exactly what he was going to do. His honours list speaks for itself: 8x Bundesliga titles, 2x Premier Leagues, a La Liga, an Eredivise, numerous domestic cups and a Champions League in which he scored the winner.

A brilliant player for his country too and was one of the key men in the Netherlands team that reached the world cup final in 2010 and then the semis in 2014.

I was happy enough with my team but felt it lacked maybe a game changing player in the final third. That problem has now been solved! Thank god for his comeback with Groningen this season :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dannyjarque_1677020c.jpg

Never expected this player to get down to me.

No write up necessary.

Usually played through the middle for Barca, but equally capable on the left, where he often played for Spain (He started the '08, '10 and '12 finals on the left wing).

Pick no. 10 is Andres Iniesta.

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphaël Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini
    5. Casemiro
    6. Antonio Rüdiger
    7. Raphaël Guerreiro
    8. Hugo Lloris
    9. Frederico Chiesa
    10. Andres Iniesta

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Very happy at that last pick as I was looking at ways of changing my team to accommodate him :p

Makes my one easy, best keeper of all time and all round handsome bastard, Gianluigi Buffon.

gianluigi-buffon.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

I earmarked this man from a few rounds ago as I loved watching him play personally and am delighted he has come through to me, filling my LW slot beautifully.

He hit double digits for goals and assists in multiple seasons for Munich.
    Probably hit his peak around 2013, winning UEFA's best player, ahead of Messi and Ronaldo and finishing a close run third in the FIFA Ballon D'Or that year.

Averaging a goal nearly every three games for Bayern, this fast, tricky dribbler is adept at providing a great final ball.

Zidane described him as 'the jewel of French football.

maxresdefault.jpg

Franck Ribery

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Okay I wanted Iniesta but it's not the first time I've missed out on someone I wanted but now I need a creative attack minded midfielder for my side so why not look to the past. Last year as my 3rd round draft pick in the Premiership draft this lad was a steal imho because as I reminded everyone below, this is based on players at their prime, and at his prime this lad was something else (pity for Arsenal fans that prime didn't last longer).
    With my 3rd pick (joining Kane & Laporte) I am going to pick someone who I would like to remind you we are judging based on their Premiership peak because unlike now he was a beast then.

In fact during the 2015/2016 season and coming off becoming a World cup winner this player had 16 assists before New Years day even rolled around, including recording assists in seven consecutive matches and in two of those matches he got two assists. Harry KaneLewandowski is licking his lips just thinking about the delivery he will receive from peak...
    Mesut Ozil

giphy.gif

I lived in Munich during Germany's world cup win with him in the side and although Ozil has had some umm lets say issues with public opinion everyone I knew at the time considered him a magician with the ball at his feet then. It was a joy to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So for my last 2 picks I am going to look to pair up players with some of my previous picks where I know they have a very good understanding and have put in peak performances together.

So with that my 10th Round pick is another member of potentially the best footballing side we have ever seen in that Barca 09-11 era.

During that period he is the only player to have scored in the La Liga, Copa del Rey, UEFA Champions League, European Super Cup, Spanish Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup in the same year.

Pedro

ebOm-zce-V1CRyg3i96gKR8UnuoqgDc22xEjmRpwdpmGB7Mc-d7M2h6g3hg1i7mkz2ZER5LXhAdibmKWY7kb7YI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

And my last pick is to pair up the best centre back partnership in Europe this season.

This will give my side that solid footballing base to play out from the back and dominate possession

John Stones

W3eN28bDVQbi7anv6RiAic-320-80.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Earlier I quoted my draft from last year for my 2nd last pick this year and now I am going to do the same for my last pick!
    Now I could talk about how this player is a Premier league winner, how he was his clubs POTY the following year and his national teams POTY both those years... but I could also just talk about how nice that name of his looks behind my back line.

I am of course referring to...
    Kasper Schmeichel

tumblr_ovb2ihSp7t1tf8a5ao1_500.gif?resize=585%2C378

Formation subject to change
    abV3W6lal8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

For my final pick, I select someone who may not be your traditional destroyer type number 6. He is however great at reading the game with good defensive midfield positioning. He is a dictator of play from deep in midfield and can spread the ball out to the wingers with his long range passing ability.

ruben-neves-wolves-.jpg
    Ruben Neves

Final Line-Up
    abV3Y4DalE.png
    Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A midfield of hard working industrius players means that my full backs are going to be able to bomb on and there's been few better left backs at getting forward in Europe than my final pick the last few years. He's scored 20 Serie A goals over the last 2 seasons and is now a regular for Germany.

Robin Gosens

0_Robin-Gosens-3.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

cast3-1.jpg

Rounding out my picks is a player who was a big part of Leicesters impressive season, cumulating in an FA cup winners medal. He showed his flexibility by playing in a number of roles, including left and right full back and wing back and right centre back. Defensively solid and a major asset going forward, he started Belgium's first group game but received an unfortunate facial injury which has ruled him out for the rest of the tournament. Otherwise he undoubtedly would have been first choice for the tournament.

Pick no. 11 is Timothy Castange

draft11.png

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Harry Maguire

Harry-Maguire-986293.jpg?r=1532969920792

The most expensive defender in history isn't the worst pick to fill out my team. He put in a brilliant shift for England at the 2018 World Cup and has come on leaps and bounds since then and was very impressive for United this season. One of the first names on the team sheet for club and country, a huge presence, a leader and he is comfortable playing out from the back too.

Which leaves my team looking nicely balanced and glad to get everyone playing in their strongest position.

abV34uRaeO.png

For my final pick, I'm going with a young prodigy who has all the tools to dominate for the next decade. He is capable of playing deep or up top.

He has won 3 Premier Leagues and an FA Cup, lit up this season's Champions League where he reached the final, and in the season just gone was named PFA Young Player of the Year. He is...

0_Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-v-Manchester-City-Premier-League-AMEX-Stadium.jpg

...Phil Foden.

He'll be the creative cog of my midfield, linking up play with my forwards.

Final team:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Marquinhos
    6. Thibaut Courtois
    7. Benjamin Pavard
    8. Presnel Kimpembe
    9. Koke
    10. Erling Haaland
    11. Phil Foden

And how they'll line up:

abV34Q2aP.png

• Advertisement

I need a modern goalkeeper.

With a midfield that wants to dominate and keep the opposing team in their half for as long as possible, I need a keeper who can read danger posed by a potential through ball from deep, and sweep up behind my defence when needed. he also needs to be able to distribute the ball.

while a couple of GK picks may have slightly more prestige, none have more talant with the ball at their feet, and speed off the line (most stay stuck to the line). he also has great shot stopping ability.

he also had 300 appearances under his belt for Leverkusen, while many Arsenal fans called him their POTY in his debut season.

Bernd Leno

840.jpg

Leno
    Trent---Thiago Silva---De Ligt---Tierney
    De Bruyne---Busquets---Bernardo Silva
    Sancho---Van Basten---Perisic

Need a dependable goalkeeper so going for Juventus no 1.

Wojciech Szczęsny

Szczęsny
    Trippier Pique Baresi Spinazzola
    Thiago Vidal Pogba
    Bale Benzema Memphis

The foundation of Leipzig's rise.

Peter Gulacsi

32dd30c24bde6d31c839daff9cc4711d.jpg

Finishing my team off with Portugal’s first choice keeper for the last 10 years and it’s fitting to end with one of the reigning champions of this competition and a key member of that side as well. He’s probably one of the best shot-stoppers in the world and very capable on the ball too, which will be vital in my team. He is….

EuQ1KNQWgAA8q5H.jpg

Rui Patricio

My last pick is in goals, a mainstay for West Ham and Swansea over the bast 8 years and always ranked as one of the best GKs in the league.

Lukasz Fabianski

• Advertisement
Advertisement