Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does this new phone system sound expensive?

• 04-06-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Could you IT heads tell me if this sounds expensive .

System details and price.

To supply:
    1 only Ericsson LG eMG100 telephone system equipped for up to 4 PSTN (Analogue) telephone lines, up to 16 digital telephone extensions and up to 4 analogue extensions with 2 VoIP channels and 4 port voicemail system.
    2 only Ericsson LG LDP-9224 digital telephone sets. (Reception x 2)
    6 only Ericsson LG LDP-9208 telephone sets.
    1 only Ericsson LG Doorphone Intercom unit.
    To remove the existing telephone system and telephones.
    To identify cables for all telephone extensions.
    To install the new telephone system.
    To connect the telephone extensions and install the new telephones.
    To install the new door intercom unit.
    To connect the existing telephone lines.
    To program the telephone system as required.
    To provide user instructions.

Price: €3167.20 + Vat.

Any feedback most welcome !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

jimmyging wrote: »
    Anyone ?

Why are you not moving to a fully VoIP system? A mixed analog / VoIP system will cost more and also need to be replaced sooner. Pm me if your want and I’ll send you details of someone for an alternative quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Why are you not moving to a fully VoIP system? A mixed analog / VoIP system will cost more...

There are a couple of reasons this could be valuable.

If the internet connection there is slow, intermittent or has high latency for now then using the old analogue or ISDN lines for trunks will deliver better voice performance.
    The same system will handle VoIP trunks in the future when required and a better internet connection becomes available.
    The internal analogue ports may also be able to take advantage of some existing wiring.

No additional contract would be required for VoIP trunks.
    While that would indeed be cheaper than combined line rental and a call package the client might not be in a position to cancel that contract yet and may also have negotiated good call prices from their current provider which suit their needs.
    If calls are bundled with their internet connection, the savings could be smaller than expected.

VoIP is of course more flexible, but there are many places in the country where a solid internet connection is not a given.
    On the other hand if fiber to the building is available, VoIP all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

niallb wrote: »
    There are a couple of reasons this could be valuable.

If the internet connection there is slow, intermittent or has high latency for now then using the old analogue or ISDN lines for trunks will deliver better voice performance.
    The same system will handle VoIP trunks in the future when required and a better internet connection becomes available.
    The internal analogue ports may also be able to take advantage of some existing wiring.

No additional contract would be required for VoIP trunks.
    While that would indeed be cheaper than combined line rental and a call package the client might not be in a position to cancel that contract yet and may also have negotiated good call prices from their current provider which suit their needs.
    If calls are bundled with their internet connection, the savings could be smaller than expected.

VoIP is of course more flexible, but there are many places in the country where a solid internet connection is not a given.
    On the other hand if fiber to the building is available, VoIP all the way!

Thanks Niall, I realise all that which is why i asked him to clarify his reasoning behind the decision. Unfortunately there are providers who recommend their preferred solution regardless of what would be best for the customers business needs. There may well be good reasons for the analogue element in this particular situation or it could just be the providers solution of choice based on skill set, margins or habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

qtel are great and happy to help out years after the fitting, they have merged but Brian is still a director so i'm sure they are still good.

https://www.in2tel.ie/in2tel-purchases-qtel/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

...then using the old analogue or ISDN lines for trunks will deliver better voice performance.
    While this may or may not be possible, if the existing PSTN lines must be kept due to insufficient bandwidth for VOIP calls, I would recommend trying switch two of them to ISDN lines and dropping the other two entirely; each ISDN line will provide two voice circuits with a higher quality than analogue, and there would be savings on the line rental.
    This is a valid point, and even though the capital cost for an IP PBX would be lower than the price of the phone system, I suspect that if that means replacing the existing wiring with Cat5 and installing/upgrading the network switch to one that provides PoE would add to the costs.
    Why are you not moving to a fully VoIP system? A mixed analog / VoIP system will cost more and also need to be replaced sooner. Pm me if your want and I’ll send you details of someone for an alternative quote.
    I would echo this sentiment, I do believe that if you're going to rip out an old phone system that may have limited features and replacing it with a newer system, then looking at switching the whole thing over to a VoIP service that can provide for lower operating costs along with lower capital costs, would be the way to go.

Advertisement