Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with fridge

Options
  • 04-06-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

So we bought an American style fridge with a water dispenser from Currys. It's only 10 months old, and the paddle to dispense water is broken. It seems to be a pretty common issue with this model after searching on Google.

They emailed me stating the engineer will visit to inspect the issue and if it's everyday wear and tear it is not covered under 12- months warranty.

"In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.  As such we do not cover faults caused by accident, neglect misuse or normal wear and tear."

Where do I stand in this instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Wait until he looks at it first and show him the proof of it being a common issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Which make and model is it, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Kenwood KSBSDIX16
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Which make and model is it, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Wear and tear my arse. If they try that crap, invoke the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980. If the paddle is not fit for purpose, the fridge is not fit for purpose. On that basis, you can demand one of the 3 R's.

Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Kenwood is Curry's own brand fridge, from no name Chinese supplier.
    No relation to the kitchen food processor company at all.

They get very poor reviews online if you look around on HUKD.
    Hope they can fix the issue for you.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/kenwood-ksbsx20-american-style-fridge-freezer-ps35910-delivered-at-currys-pc-world-3692234

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

When you say broken, do you mean the paddle is physically broken or just not working? If it's just not working then it's a fault they have to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Wear and tear? Ffs
    It's 10 months old only and a paddle for water , ......that would annoy me
    Ffs, can they make anything to a quality standard anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

wally1990 wrote: »
    Wear and tear? Ffs
    It's 10 months old only and a paddle for water , ......that would annoy me
    Ffs, can they make anything to a quality standard anymore

Just a reminder, this is Currys we are talking about. You need to be clued up and beat them into submission. They are taking the mickey and WE WILL make them fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks everyone!

It is physically broken; two plastic hinges kept the paddle in place, one of the hinges broken, and the whole paddle dropped down.

I found this YouTube video to fix it. But I will have to order the whole unit as the plastic paddle can not be bought separately. I feel they will say it's not covered because they gave me a hint it's part of "normal wear and tear", but I insisted it's like brand new, and then the person said ok he will request an engineer to "look at it first."

https://youtu.be/Z3LV6xYVEEU
    When you say broken, do you mean the paddle is physically broken or just not working? If it's just not working then it's a fault they have to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

It might not be covered by the warranty but you have other avenues of redress open to you under the Sale of Goods Act. Read up on you consumer rights on the Citizens Information web site. If they refuse to repair the item under warranty the you need to make a formal complaint in writing to Currys. You can find a complaint letter template on the ccpc.ie website.

I used this method when my 20 month old (12 month warranty) Microwave oven stopped working. Currys agreed a 50% refund of the purchase price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement