Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating in a Multi Development Unit

Options
  • 04-06-2021 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Looking for advice - want to renovate a second floor apartment in a Multi Development Unit (there are 12 units in total).

First thing we want to do is change the doors that lead out onto the balcony in both rooms.

Currently the doors are wooden dark brown single doors that open inwards. Half panel half glass with that very nineties lead diamond pattern. There are also panels and glass to either side in the frame.

Main problem is apartment is small and inward opening door is not space efficient so we would like to put in sliding doors but we are not sure if we are allowed.

Many of our neighbours have changed out the glass with diamond pattern to plain glass and some have changed the bottom panels to glass too but I'm wondering if a sliding door would differ too much?

Our management company and house rules don't seem to indicate much on what we can and can't do in this regard. I don't think it will look drastically different but apprehensive to take the plunge.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You should get in contact with your management company and ask them what their policies are when it comes to replacing balcony doors and windows. Many lease agreements would have a clause built into them that you cannot make any structural alterations that are not in keeping with the design / style of the development.

Naturally there has to be some leeway given the need to change windows and doors over time and the change in type / styles / designs. It might be something that your management company has a policy on and can offer you advice as to what is deemed acceptable divergence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You will need to get permission from the management company. It is in the planning permission for most developments (and the lease agreements) that you cannot alter the external appearance of the building (without permission).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

Caranica wrote: »
    You will need to get permission from the management company. It is in the planning permission for most developments (and the lease agreements) that you cannot alter the external appearance of the building (without permission).

Thanks both great advice. We have been in touch with OMC and the property management company we contract to manage the building but the feedback was vague. It basically said the leasehold doesn't allow changes to external structure (which presumably includes the doors) but if we went ahead and did it they would have to take legal action to force us to change it back which they said is impractical which implies to me that we could go ahead.

Just seems so overly complex and I wouldn't want issues down the line if we went to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You COULD go ahead, but that doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Check the planning permission yourself so. The council could take enforcement action much more easily than the management company could take legal action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You will be in breach of your lease on the unit- and the OMC could take action up to and including forcing you to sell the unit.

Seriously- when you buy in a multiunit development- you sign up to a list of obligations and rights- you do not get to pick and choose those which you follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

You will be in breach of your lease on the unit- and the OMC could take action up to and including forcing you to sell the unit.

Seriously- when you buy in a multiunit development- you sign up to a list of obligations and rights- you do not get to pick and choose those which you follow.

Hi sorry maybe I'm not articulating this well. I'm not trying to pick and choose rules. We are following procedure we have contacted the management agent and OMC who gave us go ahead and said they would have to take legal action on order to make us change it back which I thought was strange. It's either in compliance or it's not. I don't want issues further down the road if we sell.

The original planning states that we can't make changes that would detract from the appearance of the overall development so I think they are a bit unsure if this would constitute a significant enough change.

Hence why I'm asking on here if anyone has experience with such matters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As a generalisation- you must keep any new doors/windows- stylistically akin to those in the rest of the development.
    The exact rules and requirements are normally spelt out in your owners lease.

Advertisement