Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - Greatest Electronic Dance Song Ever!

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I'm just happy Mark McCabe or Scooter didn't walk it.
    Nobody entered Crazy Frog either..phew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

I'm just happy Mark McCabe or Scooter didn't walk it. Nobody entered Crazy Frog either..phew

Seems like people contributing to this had a clue about dance music and could see passed the commercial stuff...

I know Silence was a huge hit but it was never intended to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Silence is worthy of the title, it's an awesome track.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,236 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think my nominations were more dance euro pop dance than electronic trance dance :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think my nominations were more dance euro pop dance than electronic trance dance :o

I think the brief left it nice and open - I don't know what kind of dance songs mine were (from the comments on thread I think some of them count as trance) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sky King wrote: »
    Silence is worthy of the title, it's an awesome track.

Awesome in the yank way or it's so great it inspires awe in you?

If it wasn't for this competition is doubt I'd have listened to this year and I listen to techno or house every day. I'm going to play it again now to see if I am missing something.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    I think my nominations were more dance euro pop dance than electronic trance dance

ari101 wrote:
    I think the brief left it nice and open - I don't know what kind of dance songs mine were (from the comments on thread I think some of them count as trance)

Think the likes of 2unlimited, Eifel 65, scooter are more euro pop, the prodigy more rave and then stuff towards the late 90's onward by DJs and the remixes are more trance

That's my humble opinion

They'd all come under the heading of dance music and like them all ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

TheG0AT wrote: »
    Think the likes of 2unlimited, Eifel 65, scooter are more euro pop, the prodigy more rave and then stuff towards the late 90's onward by DJs and the remixes are more trance

That's my humble opinion

Right so my new line sorted: I don't like rave music ;)

It was a good mix that meant there was some familiar stuff, and I wasn't daunted by an hour of fresh music to listen to and rate every round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    ari101 wrote: »
    I think the brief left it nice and open - I don't know what kind of dance songs mine were (from the comments on thread I think some of them count as trance) :pac:

I absolutely loved the mix of songs whatever the technical term for them is :). fair play to everyone that submitted nominations.

tbh if it were all pure dance tracks it might be a bit too niche with only a few true dance fans voting, and the rest of us might only throw in the odd vote here and there

TheG0AT wrote: »

That's my humble opinion

Trance, House and Techno were the 3 main branches of dance music from the 90s until EDM became a thing. EDM is essentially Eurodance made in the US at first

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

also, I have previously outed myself as being hopeless with knowing the genres.

most of the songs here I have in my own playlists and I have them under 'old skool club classics' :o :pac:

the likes of Delerium is just in a 90's/noughties playlist.

correct genre not required for me anyway :p

most of the songs here I have in my own playlists and I have them under 'old skool club classics' :o :pac:

the likes of Delerium is just in a 90's/noughties playlist.

correct genre not required for me anyway :p
    There's only two types of music in existence: good music and bad music :)

Spot on! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The only reason to know the genre names is if you want to search for similar sounding music to what you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Very true purple. Now if only there was a forum game you could do where you could judge which songs fall into these two categories.... :pac:

Rikand wrote: »
    The only reason to know the genre names is if you want to search for similar sounding music to what you like :)

don't get me wrong, I love when other people talk about genres because I try learn how to categories songs. But for my own ears, I haven't a clue whats what. I just go by what I like :)

don't get me wrong, I love when other people talk about genres because I try learn how to categories songs. But for my own ears, I haven't a clue whats what. I just go by what I like

And there's nothing wrong with that

Brian? wrote: »
    Awesome in the yank way or it's so great it inspires awe in you?

If it wasn't for this competition is doubt I'd have listened to this year and I listen to techno or house every day. I'm going to play it again now to see if I am missing something.

Both.

You seem genuinely annoyed by the fact that it won. Why? It's just a bit of craic.

Because they're not seeded and there's no group stage at the start, the competition is fundamentally flawed, you have tunes as good as silence going out in the first round.

If you ran this competition 10 times with the same entries you'd get 10 different answers. Try not to let it bother you.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Very true purple. Now if only there was a forum game you could do where you could judge which songs fall into these two categories.... :pac:
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FflUREDFkkoZ5m%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Both.

You seem genuinely annoyed by the fact that it won. Why? It's just a bit of craic.

Because they're not seeded and there's no group stage at the start, the competition is fundamentally flawed, you have tunes as good as silence going out in the first round.

If you ran this competition 10 times with the same entries you'd get 10 different answers. Try not to let it bother you.

I'm not the least bit annoyed. I'm bamboozled that such a mediocre song is held in such high regard.

You can choose one "awesome" by the way ;) . The yanks seem to think it meats "good"

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

The meaning of words changes over time Brian. In a musical context a good example is 'funky' which had no musical relevance before it was appropriated by 'yanks' (as you say) in the 50s.  Before that it only meant stinking. I'm sure there were many snooty corrections about that as well!

Another good example is the word 'literally' which as of recent years literally no longer means just literally. This is literally defined in the dictionary. All the Brians of the Internet were up in arms. Literally!

(If all this is difficult for you, again I wouldn't worry about it too much.)

Perhaps you could move to France where word meanings are not evolving over time, they are strictly defined by a committee of academics; I get the feeling this actually might really suit you. Maybe you could join up! You could correct strangers on the Internet about their word choices and be certain about the fact that there is a strict definition.

The meaning of words changes over time Brian. In a musical context a good example is 'funky' which had no musical relevance before it was appropriated by 'yanks' (as you say) in the 50s.  Before that it only meant stinking. I'm sure there were many snooty corrections about that as well!

Another good example is the word 'literally' which as of recent years literally no longer means just literally. This is literally defined in the dictionary. All the Brians of the Internet were up in arms. Literally!

(If all this is difficult for you, again I wouldn't worry about it too much.)

Perhaps you could move to France where word meanings are not evolving over time, they are strictly defined by a committee of academics; I get the feeling this actually might really suit you. Maybe you could join up! You could correct strangers on the Internet about their word choices and be certain about the fact that there is a strict definition.

Wind it in there horse. I’m joking with you for jaysus sake.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Wind it in there horse. I’m joking with you for jaysus sake.

I love this one. I come across it a lot. It's like a get out of jail free card for people who enjoy being offensive or obnoxious. Say whatever you like, once you follow it up with 'Ah relax bud, I'm only joking' and all will be well. Usually perpetrated by society's biggest tossers.

Whatever. I'm out of here. Great tournament again OP, many thanks again.

I love this one. I come across it a lot. It's like a get out of jail free card for people who enjoy being offensive or obnoxious. Say whatever you like, once you follow it up with 'Ah relax bud, I'm only joking' and all will be well. Usually perpetrated by society's biggest tossers.

Whatever. I'm out of here. Great tournament again OP, many thanks again.

I was only joking. I thought that was pretty clear. I didn't think I'd said anything obnoxious or offensive, I think you're being over sensitive here. But I apologise if I came off that way. Use awesome however you want.

I actually just wanted to know if you meant it was a good time or a a tune worthy of winning the competition.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement