Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service job query

Options
  • 05-06-2021 10:32am

Hi all,

A very quick question that I hope someone can help with. I am interested in a public service job and would like to put in an application, however, one of the mandatory requirements is having a leaving cert. I didn’t go to school in Ireland (went in England if that matters), my degree was undertaken in Ireland, would this supersede the leaving cert requirement?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi all,

A very quick question that I hope someone can help with. I am interested in a public service job and would like to put in an application, however, one of the mandatory requirements is having a leaving cert. I didn’t go to school in Ireland (went in England if that matters), my degree was undertaken in Ireland, would this supersede the leaving cert requirement?

Thanks

Yes.

Yes.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Yes.

I'm afraid you may be wrong. If a LC is a mandatory requirement than its is just that. The 3rd level qualification doesn't trump that.

However, an equivalent to the LC, in this instance GCSE'S?, would meet the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    I'm afraid you may be wrong. If a LC is a mandatory requirement than its is just that. The 3rd level qualification doesn't trump that.

However, an equivalent to the LC, in this instance GCSE'S?, would meet the requirement.

A levels are taken in lieu of the leaving cert.

OP - just use your highest level state exam taken in secondary school/sixth form.

Didn't I just say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

I thought GCSE' were the equivalent of the old O Level. Then you would go on to A level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shane Fitz wrote: »

Show me a job which doesn't, say "LC or higher"

Show me a job which doesn't, say "LC or higher"

Ease up there now.
    The OP said an LC was mandatory, so I and others suggested a UK equivalent (GCSE, O or A levels)
    The OP didn't say LC or higher, so the OP's question has been answered.
    If however, they come back and correct us all and say it was LC or higher, than you will be proven right.
    But for now the only info in the OP's case is that an LC is mandatory.

OP here, the spec simply lists mandatory items and the leaving cert is under there.
    I did A levels in the UK about 20 years ago now, god knows where the certs are for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Hi all,

Thanks

Idk which specific job you're applying to, but assuming it is Clerical Officer, any school leaving exam will do, I have no idea why people are saying otherwise. If it is Executive Officer you'll need to prove you passed your maths exams.

For one, it would breach EU law to not allow people to apply who finished school in any EU country to apply. So while they could put "Leaving Cert" on the application you can just ignore that cos they simply cannot request a minimum LC qualification requirement.

For two, the MINIMUM is a leaving cert, you have a degree so have more than that. For Executive Officer, the minimum is to have passed 1 year of a degree, considering you finished a degree which I am going to presume is a legitimate degree which is recognised in Ireland you are more than fine.

A Levels are considered the same as the LC here.

Send the job over I'll tip off the EU commission for breach of EU law as I doubt the job falls into one of the very rare exceptions. Now, I admit the public sector is a little different than pure CS jobs but a LC requirement is generally a no go requirement than they usually just put that a shorthand for "finished school"

• Advertisement

Literally no-one is saying otherwise..
    1 poster says 3rd level trumps the mandatory LC.
    Everyone else offered the LC equivalence suggestion.

Idk which specific job you're applying to, but assuming it is Clerical Officer, any school leaving exam will do, I have no idea why people are saying otherwise. If it is Executive Officer you'll need to prove you passed your maths exams.

For one, it would breach EU law to not allow people to apply who finished school in any EU country to apply. So while they could put "Leaving Cert" on the application you can just ignore that cos they simply cannot request a minimum LC qualification requirement.

For two, the MINIMUM is a leaving cert, you have a degree so have more than that. For Executive Officer, the minimum is to have passed 1 year of a degree, considering you finished a degree which I am going to presume is a legitimate degree which is recognised in Ireland you are more than fine.

Send the job over I'll tip off the EU commission for breach of EU law as I doubt the job falls into one of the very rare exceptions. Now, I admit the public sector is a little different than pure CS jobs but a LC requirement is generally a no go requirement than they usually just put that a shorthand for "finished school"

I did think it was strange that it was mandatory, yet open to EEA nationals. I’m hoping the degree will suffice, as you say it is at a higher level.

Thanks for the response

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Correction: The UK is no longer a member of the EU/EEA. Therefore, this no longer applies to recognition of UK educational qualifications in Ireland.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/education_and_schooling/getting_your_foreign_qualification_recognised_in_ireland.html#l8efa2

However, the OP should be fine (I think):

“ Qualifications from the UK were automatically recognised in Ireland during the transition period (from 1 February to 31 December 2020). If your qualification was recognised during this time, you don’t have to do anything and can continue to practice in Ireland or the EU.”

It would be assumed that most Civil Service jobs are open to Irish and EU citizens. Some job specs that are now advertised specify that UK citizens are eligible. However, issues arise for civil servants that are seconded abroad. This hasn’t been fully ironed out yet.

OP - if you have a higher qualification than A Levels, the Civil Service don’t tend to ask for your A Levels/Leaving Cert. Unless you are using it to qualify for an essential criteria (eg must have X higher level subjects), which is not always the case, you should be fine. Check the spec. They will ask for a copy of your highest qualification that you specify on your application.

Posts that specify driving licenses will only recognise Irish/EU licenses.

Advertisement