Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart switch with visible "On/Off" indicator.

Options
  • 05-06-2021 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I have a kasa smart plug hooked up in the garage. Currently use Google home to turn it on and off. It controls a circulation pump for hot water and if left on can end up wasting a lot of hot water.

Does anyone know of a smart switch that also has a light or some visual indicator as to whether the plug is on or off? Save me having to remember to ask Google.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Could you use an Auto Off Action from within the Kasa App i.e. Pump is turned on via voice and turns off after xx minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Have a TP-LINK HS110 i got in Harvey Norman, Has an indicator light on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have a TP-LINK HS110 i got in Harvey Norman, Has an indicator light on the front.
    If anyone is with Energia you can get them half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Do you mean a light on the plug itself or on a button somewhere else that controls the plug?

If it's the plug itself then as above the TP Link ones have a light if you're using WiFi and the Fibaro ones also have a light if you want to use Z Wave.

I'm not sure about a smart switch with a pilot light. If such a thing doesn't exist you could probably rig up some sort of light that's tied to the same on-off routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Sorry should have made it clearer in the OP, the plug is located in the garage but I routinely turn it on and off in the house so can't see the pump from the house. A switch with a pilot light similar to what's on the plug itself is exactly what I'm looking for so I can install that in the house and have a visual indicator of whether it's on/off. Sounds like there's nothing like that available yet. Might try set up an auto off routine in the kasa app as suggested and failing this get a cheap lamp to tie into the routine as per metric tensors suggestion. Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

insular1 wrote: »
    Sorry should have made it clearer in the OP, the plug is located in the garage but I routinely turn it on and off in the house so can't see the pump from the house. A switch with a pilot light similar to what's on the plug itself is exactly what I'm looking for so I can install that in the house and have a visual indicator of whether it's on/off. Sounds like there's nothing like that available yet. Might try set up an auto off routine in the kasa app as suggested and failing this get a cheap lamp to tie into the routine as per metric tensors suggestion. Thanks all!

How about plugging a lamp into the plug, maybe via a double adapter or something, when the light is on the smart plug is on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Samsung smart things, sonoff, lightwave rf all have lights on them

There are some smart controllers that have soft and hard timers, for example lightwave rf units have a mechanical timer that will time out after a set period of time, it is built into the switch and does not need a signal to turn off.

inching on sonoff units can achieve the same thing, it is downloaded to the switch so whenever it it turned on, it will turn off after a set period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Stoner wrote: »
    Samsung smart things, sonoff, lightwave rf all have lights on them

There are some smart controllers that have soft and hard timers, for example lightwave rf units have a mechanical timer that will time out after a set period of time, it is built into the switch and does not need a signal to turn off.

inching on sonoff units can achieve the same thing, it is downloaded to the switch so whenever it it turned on, it will turn off after a set period of time

Using the auto off setting in kasa app which I stupidly didn't realise existed until the helpful post above. It has been a little hit and miss, but thankfully mostly hit. Have a few sonoff bits and am really impressed with them so far so might investigate that as an option. My sonoff light switches do have a visible indicator but they need to be wired in to a light switch. Do they have battery operated ones that don't need to be wired in?

Advertisement