Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It Is A Common Sentiment By Women That "All Men Are Trash". Do You Agree With That?

• 05-06-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Note: I understand that this is a lengthy post so you may skip to the TL;DR but I urge you to read at least the introduction for more context. And to all those who chime in, thank you for sharing your opinions!

1. Introduction

Hello people, I would like to hear your response to the question raised in the title which I believe is a common sentiment shared by women as I've heard it my community, Youtube, Reddit and my own family.

I understand that this topic might offend people. However I think this topic should be discussed and exposed to the surface rather than dismissing it and sweeping it under the rug.

My motivation for making this thread is so that I could understand following:

Do most people agree with this sentiment or not? If you do/you don't, could you back up your answer?

What makes a good man from the point from your point of view? (I have my own opinions on this topic too of course but I'd like to hear your opinion as to expand on mine.)

I would like to preface the main body of this thread by saying that while I don't agree with the sentiment that all men are trash. I certainly can't deny that most of the men in my family have not exactly been examples of good men.

My goal for this thread is to further my understanding of what makes a good man so I could break out of the mould of dead beat dads in my family.

1. Why I started to think about this Question

So I was riding on the bus recently when I heard a woman say that "All men are trash". All of her friends who were women unanimously agreed.

As a man, I thought of ways that I could refute that statement from my own experience. I wasn't going to say it out loud of course since it would fall on deaf ears but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there hasn't really been any good male role models in my family either.

My dad wasn't really around and my mother raised us as a single mom so I never had anyone to teach me how to become a good man. Therefore, I never really became someone who I consider to be a good man. Thus I came to the conclusion that maybe most men are "trash" indeed.

2. What Is a Good Man to You And How Can A Man Become A Good Man?

To me, a good man to be to be a good brother, son ,father and husband. And I've surmised that to become a good man you have to prove it through action. These actions don't have to be on a grand scale. They can be the small things like washing the dishes so the responsibility doesn't fall on your brother/sister, talking to your mother about her day so she could vent to you about things and other general things which lessen the burden caused by you on the people in your family.

The things I've described above are very small in scale so I would like to ask you the reader to add to my definition of what is a good man to you and what action could a man take to be a good man?

3. Do I agree with this sentiment?
    To re-iterate, no, I don't but while I don't completely agree that "all men are trash", I certainly can't dismiss that most of the men in my family aren't exactly examples good men by the definition I've provided.

My father wasn't a good husband/father as he was an absentee father and is divorced. One of my cousins cheated on his wife several times with different women. My sister constantly complains that my brother in-law is an innatentive husband and I personally haven't been a good brother in terms of sharing responsibility in the household with my sister.

Let me know if you people agree with this statement or not and how you would back up your response.

TL;DR

Do you agree with this sentiment and can you back up your opinion?
    What makes a good man in your opinion?
    How does one become a good man?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

#notallmen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Who rides on a bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think a certain small amount of women and men hate the opposite gender , the difference is that calling men trash / hating men is more acceptable and given a platform on social media.

Theyre still wrong though and its a scummy viewpoint to hold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Who rides on a bus?

Those trashy men ;)
    If all they know are bus riders? It follows all male bus riders are trash.

Honestly find it hard to believe that Motts on a bus used trash in their description tho?
    Very much D4 hiberno-yank parlance rather than bus rider talk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Here in Ireland it's easy to be a good man, all you have to do, is agree to help someone, and they will say Good Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The women of the "all men are trash" variety are often women who make bad choices in regards to their male partners, and instead of blaming themselves, they shift the blame to men in general. I've known a few women like this; they constantly go out with arseholes, who then act shocked that they've been treated badly by an arsehole.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anonymous261

banie01 wrote: »
    Those trashy men ;)
    If all they know are bus riders? It follows all male bus riders are trash.

Honestly find it hard to believe that Motts on a bus used trash in their description tho?
    Very much Dr hiberno-yank rather than bus rider talk :pac:

I don't necessarily think that men who ride the bus are trashy. There are plenty of male students who genuinely work hard that have to ride the bus home from college. In fact it was on a bus commute home from college that I overheard that rather cliche "all men are trash conversation".

I don't necessarily think that men who ride the bus are trashy. There are plenty of male students who genuinely work hard that have to ride the bus home from college. In fact it was on a bus commute home from college that I overheard that rather cliche "all men are trash conversation".

You ride the bus...
    What da fúck would you know about recognising trashy?
    By the definition outlined, it is you, you are trashy...
    That ya can't actually see it, and resolve to defend you and your other bus riding brethren just displays a lack of awareness.

Go have a shower and buy a car! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mista F is that you

Mista F is that you

It 100% is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Perception is opinion not fact everything someone sees is defined by their own experiences but also open to the opinion of those around them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thread Closed as it isn't a Current Affair and isn't really an IMHO either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement