Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hamachi wrote: »
    Again, the OP’s budget is 300-350K.

Even with that in mind there are fine estates off the Clonsilla rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

py2006 wrote: »
    Even with that in mind there are fine estates off the Clonsilla rd.

Cool. So can you add Daft and MyHome links to properties for sale and within budget in those estates?

I’m sure the OP would find that tremendously helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Cool. So can you add Daft and MyHome links to properties for sale and within budget in those estates?

I’m sure the OP would find that tremendously helpful.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-88-castlefield-court-clonsilla-dublin-15/3263211

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-40-allendale-drive-clonsilla-dublin-15/13915

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/91-edgewood-lawns-blanchardstown-dublin-15-d15-f21x/4499789

Although the last one went sale agreed for over 380 as I know someone who was bidding on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

bubblypop wrote: »
    The opposite I would think

Well depends on your definition of good.

Well I personally wouldn't buy a house in Ongar, Blakestown, Hartstown, Huntstown, Corduff, Sheepmoor, Tyrellstown, Mulhuddart, Hollywood (due to location) etc That's 9 areas.

I would buy a house in Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Clonsilla, Ashtown and maybe Blanch Village around Roselawn. That's 5 areas.

That's the maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

There is a lovely area called Wellview. A lovely welcoming pub called the shanty beside it.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I would buy a house in Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Clonsilla, Ashtown and maybe Blanch Village around Roselawn. That's 5 areas.

That's the maths.

The Roselawn area is very nice. It’s one of the areas I would consider in the unlikely event we stay in this area.

Well depends on your definition of good.

Well I personally wouldn't buy a house in Ongar, Blakestown, Hartstown, Huntstown, Corduff, Sheepmoor, Tyrellstown, Mulhuddart, Hollywood (due to location) etc That's 9 areas.

That's the maths.

Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown are basically the same area!
    Clonsilla is such a big area, you could take smaller areas out of it always.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you want to buy in the best areas buy in the most expensive area. There are multi million euro houses in Dublin 15. Everything cheaper than that is a compromise.

The problem is 350 is the low end for Dublin. The average house price in Dublin is 400K.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/daft-report-3-5395912-Mar2021/%3famp=1

If all you want is a cheap house, you buy outside of Dublin and commute in.

Covid increased the prices of houses in Dublin so your buying at peak if you buy now. Not that is likely to fall anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Parts of D15 are gross though...you couldn't pay me to live in or around Corduff, Sheepmoor or up around Mulhuddart but other areas are quite desirable. All things considered there's more bad than good areas in Dublin 15 hence the reputation I'd say.

Do you know how big D15 is ? Its like saying there are not nice areas of mayo or Galway

• Advertisement

Do you know my work colleagues? Just to reiterate, in our frequent discussions about buying property, Dublin 15 isn’t on their radar for reputational reasons. Like it or not, Dublin 15 reads as Blanchardstown for those unfamiliar with the area. It doesn’t resonate positively for many looking to purchase right now.

Again none of this is based on fact. Have you looked at crime rates for Dublin for example ? I'm still waiting for the report of this reputation it seems to be somthing you have thrown out there and now are at pains to back it up. D15 is a hugh area and your hear say small talk with 1 or 2 people in your work place doesn't just make a good case.

Do you know how big D15 is ? Its like saying there are not nice areas of mayo or Galway

I’m sure they know the boundaries of D15, given they’ve provided a decent synopsis of sub-areas.

D15 is only ‘huge’ if your frame of reference is Dublin. The OP isn’t Irish and may very well come from a much larger urban area. For anybody who’s lived in larger cities, D15 is a bog standard suburb of a medium-sized urban area.

Again none of this is based on fact. Have you looked at crime rates for Dublin for example ? I'm still waiting for the report of this reputation it seems to be somthing you have thrown out there and now are at pains to back it up. D15 is a hugh area and your hear say small talk with 1 or 2 people in your work place doesn't just make a good case.

Can you honestly say hand-on-heart that when house hunters hear D15 / Blanchardstown, their first thought is ‘that area is top of my list’? Even the OP, who hasn’t yet bought into area has approached it with significant trepidation.

I’m not sure what you want. Do you want me to conduct an NPS survey and provide you with qualitative feedback on the area? The chatter around house buying is that D15 isn’t particularly desirable and you need to know the pockets that are good vs. terrible. Balbriggan in North County Dublin has a similar reputation. Conversely, areas like D3, D4, D5, D6, D8, D9, D16 etc are perceived as significantly more attractive.

Again, I’m not saying D15 is a hellhole, rather that there is a negative perception / bias out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

OP I grew up in D15 and lived there 27 years, all the areas you listed in your opening post I would agree with also, I’m not saying there aren’t settled estates within these areas you mention, personally I just wouldn’t like to buy in any of them.

Someone suggested looking at somewhere on the outskirts of Dublin and I think that’s sound advice or else hold off and see what happens in the next couple of years if you can and maybe you’ll be able to afford one of the more desirable areas of D15 which there are quite a few, unfortunately though they are a good bit out of your budget of €350k.

Can you honestly say hand-on-heart that when house hunters hear D15 / Blanchardstown, their first thought is ‘that area is top of my list’? Even the OP, who hasn’t yet bought into area has approached it with significant trepidation.

I’m not sure what you want. Do you want me to conduct an NPS survey and provide you with qualitative feedback on the area? The chatter around house buying is that D15 isn’t particularly desirable and you need to know the pockets that are good vs. terrible. Balbriggan in North County Dublin has a similar reputation. Conversely, areas like D3, D4, D5, D6, D8, D9, D16 etc are perceived as significantly more attractive.

Again, I’m not saying D15 is a hellhole, rather that there is a negative perception / bias out there.

D15 is the most popular place to buy a property in Dublin. Look at the stats. What you are giving is opinion and is misleading to the OP. Still waiting for the evidence to back up your worst place in Dublin when in fact Dublin has been consistently the most popular or near the top over the last number of years.

D15 is the most popular place to buy a property in Dublin. Look at the stats. What you are giving is opinion.

Can you link to that metric?

People are buying here because it’s relatively affordable. Not because it’s a desirable post code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Sono wrote: »
    OP I grew up in D15 and lived there 27 years, all the areas you listed in your opening post I would agree with also, I’m not saying there aren’t settled estates within these areas you mention, personally I just wouldn’t like to buy in any of them.

Someone suggested looking at somewhere on the outskirts of Dublin and I think that’s sound advice or else hold off and see what happens in the next couple of years if you can and maybe you’ll be able to afford one of the more desirable areas of D15 which there are quite a few, unfortunately though they are a good bit out of your budget of €350k.

There are fine quiet boring estates in Dublin fifteen on DAFT for under 350k

Under 300k I wouldn't recommend . Although they are way way quieter than when I grew up in one of them . A different world altogether

People are buying here because it’s relatively affordable. Not because it’s a desirable post code.

So people are been forced to buy property in D15. Ok I will leave you to your opinions. Regards stats look it up most popular areas to buy in Dublin.

So people are been forced to buy property in D15. Ok I will leave you to your opinions. Regards stats look it up most popular areas to buy in Dublin.

I’m sure you’re aware that affordability is a massive issue in Dublin. People are buying in D15 because it’s one of the few post codes that’s (barely) within reach for FTBs like the OP.

I assumed you were going to point me to CSO-stats confirming your statement. Clearly not. Agreed, we clearly differ in opinion so let’s leave it at that.

OP, hopefully you’ve got a 360 view on D15 from the personal opinions articulated on this thread.

With it being such a huge postcode that’s a very big brush you’re using there! Many areas of D15 are certainly desirable and equally plenty which aren’t, same can be said about many postcodes in Dublin.

• Advertisement

With it being such a huge postcode that’s a very big brush you’re using there! Many areas of D15 are certainly desirable and equally plenty which aren’t, same can be said about many postcodes in Dublin.

I get that. I live in the area. My point is that with a max 350K budget, the OP isn’t going to be buying in those desirable areas.

I’ll reiterate something I said earlier in the thread. With the OP’s budget and requirements, s/he may well be better looking at the commuter towns around Dublin. Particularly given that s/he has already expressed trepidation about buying in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

OP, go for a drive around the places you can afford and work it out for yourself. Opinions on here can be coloured by a lot of things, many of which may or may not worry you.
    If people are looking after there area and homes it’s usually a good indication of the place.

Don’t worry too much about news reports as things happen in all areas of a city all the time they don’t define a place. Trust yourself to work it out it’s not that difficult to see if an area is looked after or not.

Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Op is not talking about anywhere else in Dublin
    They are talking about D15.

Being defensive because you don't like the recounting of D15 problems is in no way helpful

D15/Tyrellstown

Thesun.ie/news/2065988/vicious-teenage-gang-nicknamed-the-pesties-carrying-out-attacks-on-delivery-men-and-taxi-drivers-in-west-dublin/

I'll tell you what's also not helpful... digging up articles from well over 3 years ago that are well out of date with the current lie of the land. The issues in Tyrrelstown have been wildly blown out of proportion by a more than willing media.

To be honest for the budget the OP has quoted, it could be a decent enough option but as I've said earlier in this thread, the budget is on the low side for a 3 bed and therefore the options will be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Being defensive because you don't like the recounting of D15 problems is in no way helpful

D15/Tyrellstown

Thesun.ie/news/2065988/vicious-teenage-gang-nicknamed-the-pesties-carrying-out-attacks-on-delivery-men-and-taxi-drivers-in-west-dublin/

3+ years ago!!! That’s really going to inform the OP.

How many murders, robberies, burglaries in D15 since then and the rest of the city.
    There was a person murdered in the middle of real castleknock a few years ago also. Why don’t you put a link up to that or any others around the city?

I have lived in D15 (15 years) and have family and friends from castleknock to clonee and no where is perfect.

OP Iook for yourself you won’t get what you want here.

I'll tell you what's also not helpful... digging up articles from well over 3 years ago ...

Check out the posters history. He's trying to get a rise out of you.

I suggest you pull out a few examples of family homes (houses) for 350k in D4 to prove your point.

"...Data shows that DCC, which covers a densely populated area from Ballymun to Donnybrook, had the highest crime rates in the country last year...."

"...DCC also saw the most drug offences reported in 2020, at 928 per 100,000, with the South Dublin County Council (SDCC) area second at 843...."

D15/Tyrellstown

Great.
    Do you want me to post links to crime in other areas? Tyrellstown is no worse then many other areas and trying to paint it as worse because it has a large immigrant population is hardly fair and a little obvious

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hartstown,Roselawn,Coolmine,Clonsilla,Castleknock,Laurel Lodge are all worth a look.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Hartstown,Roselawn,Coolmine,Clonsilla,Castleknock,Laurel Lodge are all worth a look.

Roselawn, Castleknock and Laurel Lodge the only areas I would recommend out of those myself, none of which you’d get for 350k budget

• Advertisement

Roselawn, Castleknock and Laurel Lodge the only areas I would recommend out of those myself, none of which you’d get for 350k budget

350k would be impossible for those areas. Hartstown would still be possible. Area is well settled , has lots of trees (i like trees :-) has a big park close to clonsilla train station and the blanchardstown shopping centre, schools etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement