Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

My uncle is living in D15 since the early 80s and has never experienced anti social behaviour in the area. The odd house was broken into and car stolen. But I don't believe the neighbours do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Multiple posts have been infracted for either overt or dog-whistle racism. Any further posts of that kind will result in an immediate forum ban

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

L1011 wrote: »
    Multiple posts have been infracted for either overt or dog-whistle racism. Any further posts of that kind will result in an immediate forum ban

Thanks mod.

Obvious I’m my opinion.

Can you ban snobbery as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

degsie wrote: »
    Take a virtual tour with Google maps. Anywhere there are security cameras just walk away 😲.

Whats the issue with Security cameras? All of my friends that have recently purchased homes have installed CCTV. All of which bought in nice areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

350k would be impossible for those areas. Hartstown would still be possible. Area is well settled , has lots of trees (i like trees :-) has a big park close to clonsilla train station and the blanchardstown shopping centre, schools etc

I'm not really sure why some people are writing off Hartstown so readily. I've lived in a quiet cul de sac here for 17 years and have never encountered a single issue in that time. It's a settled area with a good mix of older, long established residents and younger families. Sure, there are areas not too far away that have poorer reputations, but in my experience any troubles there tend to stay there and not migrate into Hartstown. I'm originally from what would be considered a very respectable area in south Dublin, but there are surrounding areas a few minutes down the road from it that I would never consider living in. And that happens all over Dublin, it's not unique to D15, so to write off the whole post code because there are some undoubtedly less desirable areas is to immediately discount many potential options that are within the OP's budget.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

Sono wrote: »
    OP I grew up in D15 and lived there 27 years, all the areas you listed in your opening post I would agree with also, I’m not saying there aren’t settled estates within these areas you mention, personally I just wouldn’t like to buy in any of them.

Someone suggested looking at somewhere on the outskirts of Dublin and I think that’s sound advice or else hold off and see what happens in the next couple of years if you can and maybe you’ll be able to afford one of the more desirable areas of D15 which there are quite a few, unfortunately though they are a good bit out of your budget of €350k.

Thanks buddy.
    We are frankly disappointed we sacrifed a lot to get to 350k budget and were hopeful of purchasing afforadble house in nice area but all under 350,000 are bad area and condition.
    We look at data and feel we would regret being big idiots who buy bad property at bad time for record high price!
    We are thinking of waiting and saving to achieve better location.
    If prices keep going up we do think society may be in trouble, we hope prices remain the same and we can get better area for our kids.
    It will take us 2 years min to get over 400,000-425,000 budget.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    If you want to buy in the best areas buy in the most expensive area. There are multi million euro houses in Dublin 15. Everything cheaper than that is a compromise.

The problem is 350 is the low end for Dublin. The average house price in Dublin is 400K.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/daft-report-3-5395912-Mar2021/%3famp=1

If all you want is a cheap house, you buy outside of Dublin and commute in.

Covid increased the prices of houses in Dublin so your buying at peak if you buy now. Not that is likely to fall anytime soon.

Why not fall? Do people think prices keep rising forever?
    We work good jobs and still can't afford house in ok area. We would guess we are top 10-15 % earners in country, if prices keep rising society may be in trouble.

I'll tell you what's also not helpful... digging up articles from well over 3 years ago that are well out of date with the current lie of the land. The issues in Tyrrelstown have been wildly blown out of proportion by a more than willing media.

To be honest for the budget the OP has quoted, it could be a decent enough option but as I've said earlier in this thread, the budget is on the low side for a 3 bed and therefore the options will be limited.

We absolutely do not consider Tyrrelstown, we have heard from many people not just work buddy that this area is to be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Thanks buddy.
    We are frankly disappointed we sacrifed a lot to get to 350k budget and were hopeful of purchasing afforadble house in nice area but all under 350,000 are bad area and condition.
    We look at data and feel we would regret being big idiots who buy bad property at bad time for record high price!
    If prices keep going up we do think society may be in trouble, we hope prices remain the same and we can get better area for our kids.

I posted a few pages back about Waterville, nice area and places I've seen there were all in your budget

We absolutely do not consider Tyrrelstown, we have heard from many people not just work buddy that this area is to be avoided

Hello OP, what did they say was the problem with that area specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

It makes no odds to me, that's your prerogative but I can tell you for a fact people's perceptions are just that. Perceptions. I would love to know what you've been told that makes the area so bad it's 'to be avoided' because I tell you it's not an area 'to be avoided'. However, with the budget you have, your choice is limited enough so I'm not sure what you're expecting really to be honest. Less than a mile over the road, new houses are hitting 400k... supply side issues won't be solved for a while yet.

It makes no odds to me, that's your prerogative but I can tell you for a fact people's perceptions are just that. Perceptions. I would love to know what you've been told that makes the area so bad it's 'to be avoided' because I tell you it's not an area 'to be avoided'. However, with the budget you have, your choice is limited enough so I'm not sure what you're expecting really to be honest. Less than a mile over the road, new houses are hitting 400k... supply side issues won't be solved for a while yet.

My account could be banned if i detail what i have heard about the area.
    350,000 should not be considered "low budget" when average wage before tax is 50,000!
    We work hard and want to provide a safe family environment for our children and not be suckers. If we buy in that area we cannot provide safe environment for our children and we will be suckers.

brianc27 wrote: »
    I posted a few pages back about Waterville, nice area and places I've seen there were all in your budget

We are not aware of that area, we will research.

Thank you.

350,000 should not be considered "low budget" when average wage before tax is 50,000!
    We work hard and want to provide a safe family environment for our children and not be suckers. If we buy in that area we cannot provide safe environment for our children and we will be suckers.

Just post the facts and you won’t be banned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We are not aware of that area, we will research.

Thank you.

That's where I've lived for 17 years. Some clusters are better than others. Houses in some clusters, others are apartment/duplex only. We've a very active management company and it shows, some of the other clusters are poorly maintained.

Maybe you're better off outside Dublin if that's the attidute you have. Working hard / earning the average wage no longer automatically entites you to a nice house in the city. 350-400k is still on the low side of the budget for a 3 bed in Dublin City at the moment. There are worse areas than D15 but let's not delude ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why are you looking in Dublin 15? Didn't read the whole thread so apologies if I missed it.

Lucan is just south of the area, we got a new 3 bed for €360k last year. It's a decent area, been here 15 years, I know people in Blanch and work beside Mulhuddart so heard enough to put me off the area entirely.

Lucan has similar transport routes being close to the M50, N4 etc. Plenty of mediocre bus options, train etc. Still driving distance to city centre and not as big as Dublin 15.

Maybe you're better off outside Dublin if that's the attidute you have. Working hard / earning the average wage no longer automatically entites you to a nice house in the city. 350-400k is still on the low side of the budget for a 3 bed in Dublin City at the moment. There are worse areas than D15 but let's not delude ourselves.

"No longer", we are only in this position since covid and panic buying.
    It has nothing got to do with working economy
    6-12 months before covid 350,000 would have got us a nice house in a Dublin suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Thanks buddy.

It’s a big decision and not one you want to get wrong so I can understand your concerns about areas of D15 but as I said in another post, you get this issue in all areas of Dublin, good areas beside bad is very common, it’s just to try and find a nice settled area that works for you.

I wish you well with the search.

Thestart wrote: »
    Just post the facts and you won’t be banned!!

Any facts, please?

• Advertisement

"No longer", we are only in this position since covid and panic buying.
    It has nothing got to do with working economy
    6-12 months before covid 350,000 would have got us a nice house in a Dublin suburb.

10 years ago, after the downturn, you could have bought a house in a nice area of Dublin 15 for 150k so your point is fairly moot. Hard work and an average salary has nothing to do with it. The ending of Covid restrictions will not bring any short to medium term relief to the hard pressed middle class earner trying to get their foot on the housing ladder... I'm not happy about it either but it doesn't help those stuck in the middle of it & there's no real point moaning about it as there's no short-medium term solution to the housing affordability problem. If you think you're being ripped off continue renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

OP really needs to find specific estates/houses that are within budget and view them during the day/at night/weekend to make a proper opinion. It makes no sense to take Hartstown/Huntstown/Blakestown completely out of contention as they are within budget and plenty of great, settled estates.

We moved to Dublin 15 just over a year ago and the main thing you notice is how different some estates can be that are very close. We are in Hartstown, nearer to Littlepace. No issues at all. Neighbours are great, road is great. Fireworks on
    the green areas near us were an issue for our dog in September/October but by all accounts they were bad last year in all built-up areas. We are close to everything and the public transport has been a godsend as I was never wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

OP, another important consideration for most people is reliable public transport. Personally, anywhere within walking distance of a train station is certainly worth considering.

Parts of D15 are served by a train service. You can be in Town (Connolly, Tara St. or Pearse stations - change for DART at any of them) in less than 20 mins from Clonsilla, Coolmine or Castleknock train stations and this is a reliable frequent service.

The train links up with the Green Luas (tram) line at Broombridge and the Red Luas line at Connolly. There's a train that also runs out towards Ongar from Clonsilla Station, but the service is very poor at the moment, but may improve over time (years maybe), and involves a change at Clonsilla.

Dublin 15 is also well serviced by buses. Unfortunately, the time it takes to get into Town is much longer and can vary greatly, depending on weather etc.

Also, if you want to travel the opposite direction to Leixlip or Maynooth for example, the trains go there on their way back out of Town.

10 years ago, after the downturn, you could have bought a house in a nice area of Dublin 15 for 150k so your point is fairly moot. Hard work and an average salary has nothing to do with it. The ending of Covid restrictions will not bring any short to medium term relief to the hard pressed middle class earner trying to get their foot on the housing ladder... I'm not happy about it either but it doesn't help those stuck in the middle of it & there's no real point moaning about it as there's no short-medium term solution to the housing affordability problem. If you think you're being ripped off continue renting.

You just say 10 years ago we could buy nice house in Dublin for 150k but now only nice house above 350k.
    Economy is just as bad as 10 years ago and could get worse.
    But no i have bad attitude and need to borrow or spend more to get ok house as they only will get going up, your post sounds crazy logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

You just say 10 years ago we could buy nice house in Dublin for 150k but now only nice house above 350k.
    But no i have bad attitude and need to borrow or spend more to get ok house as they only will get going up, your post sounds crazy logic.

No one is going to make you buy a house in Dublin or anywhere else, buy one, continue to rent, go to another county, country it's your choice.

ml100 wrote: »
    No one is going to make you buy a house in Dublin or anywhere else, buy one, continue to rent, go to another county, country it's your choice.

Understand.
    Some people logic of thinking prices only go up up up seems crazy to me.
    We rent same place for 1,000 pm since 2015 and we strongly consider continuing as market seems too crazy and buying at record high price is something i may not be able to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Why D15, would you consider somewhere like Leixlip... very near D15 but really quiet and 350k is a good budget for nice Hse near good schools

Understand.
    We rent same place for 1,000 pm since 2015 and we strongly consider continuing as market seems too crazy and buying at record high price is something i may not be able to live with.

Purchase where you are renting? €1000 per month is very cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Understand.

€1k a month is great! Personally I would not recommend buying a property right now if you can avoid it, I would like to buy a bigger house but it’s not realistic right now so will sit out this storm and hope things might come down in a couple of years

• Advertisement

You really don't understand the concept of supply & demand do you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement