Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

Thestart wrote: »
    3+ years ago!!! That’s really going to inform the OP.

How many murders, robberies, burglaries in D15 since then and the rest of the city.
    There was a person murdered in the middle of real castleknock a few years ago also. Why don’t you put a link up to that or any others around the city?

I have lived in D15 (15 years) and have family and friends from castleknock to clonee and no where is perfect.

OP Iook for yourself you won’t get what you want here.

It's an article that details all the negative aspects of the gang related crime in Tyrellstown, the question was about areas to avoid

10 years ago, after the downturn, you could have bought a house in a nice area of Dublin 15 for 150k so your point is fairly moot. Hard work and an average salary has nothing to do with it. The ending of Covid restrictions will not bring any short to medium term relief to the hard pressed middle class earner trying to get their foot on the housing ladder... I'm not happy about it either but it doesn't help those stuck in the middle of it & there's no real point moaning about it as there's no short-medium term solution to the housing affordability problem. If you think you're being ripped off continue renting.

One year of reduced construction can surely be compensated for. I’d wait to buy.

It's an article that details all the negative aspects of the gang related crime in Tyrellstown, the question was about areas to avoid

Half of Dublin is worth avoiding. I can hear some screeching and yelling outside right now, sounds like possibly some feral yuff stuff is kicking off about a km away. This is a leafy suburb. Admittedly it’s the north side.

A relation of mine lived for years in Tyrellstown, and I had to tell him about the gangs on the area. First he heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, the gangs roaming Tyrrelstown was pretty much all bull**** perpuated by the type of racist ****s with the tricolour in their Twitter bios. There was one particular family who were right scumbags who were responsible for pretty much all anti social behaviour there and eventually the house they lived in was burned out and they were shifted off to Balbriggan. And no prizes for guessing as to what followed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

It’s an article from 3 years ago because there are no articles from 3, 6, or 12 months ago. And as I said there have been robberies and murders and shootings all over Dublin in the last 12 months. Why have you found no links too these?

Why?
    Can the OP or yourself outline the specific issues/ problems with the area now.

Hopefully without being banned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

https://thisinterestsme.com/dangerous-areas-dublin/

DCC saw 151 offences per 100,000, followed by SDCC, an area which includes Clondalkin, Lucan and Tallaght, with 76 incidents.

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/irish-crime/dublin-city-had-highest-crime-rates-in-ireland-last-year-new-figures-show-40274674.html

http://www.dublin-insider.com/dublin-for-expats/6-most-dangerous-areas-in-dublin

Still not seeing Dublin 15 mentioned as a problem area.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/property-dublin-buying-renting-house-17514864

Value wise the cheapest 3 bed properties in Dublin for 2020 were in the following areas ( Prices have gone up alot over the last 12 months, also you will notice Dublin 15 does not show)
    Neilstown - €210,000
    Ballymun - €220,000
    Clondalkin - €230,000
    Killinarden - €230,000
    Darndale - €235,000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Why are you looking in Dublin 15? Didn't read the whole thread so apologies if I missed it.

Lucan is just south of the area, we got a new 3 bed for €360k last year. It's a decent area, been here 15 years, I know people in Blanch and work beside Mulhuddart so heard enough to put me off the area entirely.

Lucan has similar transport routes being close to the M50, N4 etc. Plenty of mediocre bus options, train etc. Still driving distance to city centre and not as big as Dublin 15.
    >

Anybody can drive around Tyrrelstown on Google maps and see the burned out cars, the lack of street furniture and vegetation because of vandalism, the burnt out trees, the excessive graffiti, and the boarded up houses for themselves.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.419685,-6.3911978,3a,75y,99.58h,94.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKPgBcoN8bUsUxYePB5pewg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Don't know if that google maps link will work for all but you can work it out.

Sarcasm of course. None of that is visible on any part of the vast estate that I have looked at.

I am not recommending it either, I think it has few enough facilities for the size of the estate, and is very far out, with limited public transport. But the roving gangs is nonsense.

fvp4 wrote: »
    Anybody can drive around Tyrrelstown on Google maps and see the burned out cars, the lack of street furniture and vegetation because of vandalism, the burnt out trees, the excessive graffiti, and the boarded up houses for themselves.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.419685,-6.3911978,3a,75y,99.58h,94.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKPgBcoN8bUsUxYePB5pewg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Don't know if that google maps link will work for all but you can work it out.

Sarcasm of course. None of that is visible on any part of the vast estate that I have looked at.

I am not recommending it either, I think it has few enough facilities for the size of the estate, and is very far out, with limited public transport. But the roving gangs is nonsense.

I never seen anything wrong with the area either. Thought it was quite nice but I find it a little out of the way for activities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Most of D15 is perfectly fine. There are lot of new estates being built with very nice houses.
    Btw the OP could also consider the greater Lucan area including new estates like Somerton, Shackleton, Hallwell etc

Those places are hardly on the same level in terms of anti-social behaviour as the likes of Darndale, Ballymun, Neilstown, Jobstown, Brookfield etc

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

We took people advice and drive through following areas over the weekend:

Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Hollystown
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

We will avoid all of these.
    Next we will look at Ashtown and Waterville.
    Any parts of Waterville to avoid?
    If no value found we will wait for maybe two years, try save extra 50,000 and hope prices drop by a few % or better property becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Hollystown
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

If no value found we will wait for maybe two years, try save extra 50,000 and hope prices drop by a few % or better property becomes available.

Avoid Skelligs Court (Different builders from most of the rest of Waterville, build quality concerns), Dursey Row (suffering anti social behaviour from 100% social housing cluster across the road) and Waterville terrace (very high density). Annagh Court used to have problems but haven't heard anything about there for years which is good. My preferred clusters would be Tory, Blasket, Garnish squares and Aran Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seamie12345

Re Waterville
    Agree in that the parts of Waterville estate that are accessed off the roundabout on the way into the hospital are 20 years old and very settled and the best places to be - that would be Tory, Blasket and the one behind and in front of those

I wouldn't recommend the ones that go way up Snugborough road. They are also a different builder to Waterville Terrace (further in towards the hospital) and not as well built.

HTH, Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I do think it's worth looking at Hartstown/Huntstown again or not striking it off completely. It is within budget. One of the issues with it would be a lot of the houses are older. I wouldn't be too quick to buy facing onto the main road especially around Circle K/Eurospar but there are plenty of quiet roads and estates contained in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Re Waterville
    Agree in that the parts of Waterville estate that are accessed off the roundabout on the way into the hospital are 20 years old and very settled and the best places to be - that would be Tory, Blasket and the one behind and in front of those

I wouldn't recommend the ones that go way up Snugborough road. They are also a different builder to Waterville Terrace (further in towards the hospital) and not as well built.

HTH, Best of luck

Garnish Square and Aran Court are up the snugborough road side of Waterville and are almost as old as the ones you mentioned. They were also built by the same builder as Blasket and Tory. And benefit from being well back from the roads, they're very quiet.

Waterville Terrace, Skelligs Court and one other cluster (maybe Annagh) were built by other builders. Not sure about anything from Dursey to the Spar

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

This side of Finglas seems ok, I lived on Griffith Drive for a year & it seemed okay.
    https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/finglas-dublin?numBeds_to=3&numBeds_from=3&pageSize=20&from=20

Why not Whitehall, good bus links, kids could go to DCU, scope to extend this house. Also on airport route.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-saint-anthony-124-larkhill-road-santry-dublin-9/3220727

Blakestown
    Hartstown/Huntstown
    Fortlawn/Sheepmore
    Pinebrook
    Hollystown
    Whitestown
    Corduff
    Tyrrelstown

why were you avoiding them? The marauding gangs were out?

I think on your budget and your pickiness you should look further outside the city.

James 007 wrote: »
    This side of Finglas seems ok, I lived on Griffith Drive for a year & it seemed okay.
    https://www.daft.ie/property-for-sale/finglas-dublin?numBeds_to=3&numBeds_from=3&pageSize=20&from=20

Why not Whitehall, good bus links, kids could go to DCU, scope to extend this house. Also on airport route.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-saint-anthony-124-larkhill-road-santry-dublin-9/3220727

Whitehall one mentioned has offers of 340 as it stands. On the small side for a 3 bed too.

Great area though, it’s one of the most boring parts of the north side, and I mean that in the nicest possible way - I’d buy there tomorrow if the house and price was right.

I think on your budget and your pickiness you should look further outside the city.

I agree with you . There have to be compromises made with the budget being so low. The OP wants to wait another 2 years. If they added the rental cost for the next two years onto their budget now it would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I already suggested this twice. OP, you’re far more likely to match your requirements at your budget, in the commuter towns around Dublin.

Of those areas that you’ve mentioned, the only places I would personally consider are Huntstown, Hartstown, and Blakestown.

I don’t think it’s helpful to make sly digs about ‘marauding gangs’. The OP visited the neighborhoods in person, didn’t like them, and refuses to compromise. That’s their prerogative. Like I also said earlier, Dublin 15 is a pretty polarizing post code. Some think it’s fine, others wouldn’t contemplate living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

I see now Hollystown has been added to the list.... you wouldn’t get a house in Hollystown within budget anyhow... maybe 'avoiding' for that reason who knows as it's a fine area to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Hamachi wrote: »
    I already suggested this twice. OP, you’re far more likely to match your requirements at your budget, in the commuter towns around Dublin.

Of those areas that you’ve mentioned, the only places I would personally consider are Huntstown, Hartstown, and Blakestown.

I don’t think it’s helpful to make sly digs about ‘marauding gangs’. The OP visited the neighborhoods in person, didn’t like them, and refuses to compromise. That’s their prerogative. Like I also said earlier, Dublin 15 is a pretty polarizing post code. Some think it’s fine, others wouldn’t contemplate living here.

Quite a few who were asked about producing alternatives in their proposed "better" areas in budget couldn't. Indeed their better areas have the same if not worse crime statistics.

For the most part D15 is cheaper area convenient to many things with a rail network and close to the city. You'll find a few estates with problems but that's true of everywhere. Also has more expensive areas too.

In fact its so popular is a struggle to kids into schools. So that something you should check out before looking at housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Quite a few who were asked about producing alternatives in their proposed "better" areas in budget couldn't. Indeed their better areas have the same if not worse crime statistics.

For the most part D15 is cheaper area convenient to many things with a rail network and close to the city. You'll find a few estates with problems but that's true of everywhere. Also has more expensive areas too.

In fact its so popular is a struggle to kids into schools. So that something you should check out before looking at housing.

That's a good point about the schools, I know carpenterstown was mentioned, not a chance of getting kids into the schools there unless you live less 1km from the school and nothing for sale less than 400k that close to the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Flinty997 wrote: »

I agree. The OP isn’t going to find anything for 350K in a more desirable post code. I’m looking to get out of Dublin 15 within the next year. My budget is 40% higher than that of the OP and we’re still having issues finding a property in area we truly want to live in.

The parts of Dublin 15 that are within budget don’t appeal to the OP. That’s totally fine. Personally, if my family was staying in this area (we aren’t), I would only consider Castleknock. I agree that it’s a fruitless search at that budget and the OP really needs to compromise on location and move further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

I agree. The OP isn’t going to find anything for 350K in a more desirable post code. I’m looking to get out of Dublin 15 within the next year. My budget is 40% higher than that of the OP and we’re still having issues finding a property in area we truly want to live in.

The parts of Dublin 15 that are within budget don’t appeal to the OP. That’s totally fine. Personally, if my family was staying in this area (we aren’t), I would only consider Castleknock. I agree that it’s a fruitless search at that budget and the OP really needs to compromise on location and move further out.

Parts of Crumlin D12 go for around the 350k mark.
    Good property ladder move for a solid house.

The area is very close to everything and becoming more and more gentrified.
    Primary schools are grand but probably get out before Secondary school becomes a thing when they reach 4th-5th class.

At least you'll have a few years equity built up rather than a few years of rent dead money paid waiting for prices to fall!

What's the oldest child's age OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Treppen wrote: »
    Parts of Crumlin D12 go for around the 350k mark.
    Good property ladder move for a solid house.

The area is very close to everything and becoming more and more gentrified.
    Primary schools are grand but probably get out before Secondary school becomes a thing when they reach 4th-5th class.

At least you'll have a few years equity built up rather than a few years of rent dead money paid waiting for prices to fall!

What's the oldest child's age OP?

Slightly further down the road Clondalkin village is also a fairly active market at the moment primarily with people who grew up there moving back due to the price levels and relatively good transport links.

You'd likely get a more modern and larger house than Crumlin just about still, with plenty of school places available as the area gets very old age wise, no new housing built since the 1980s really.

Not a million miles from D15 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

How long have you lived there?
    Main reason to move is to bring up kids in better area?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Understand.
    Some people logic of thinking prices only go up up up seems crazy to me.
    We rent same place for 1,000 pm since 2015 and we strongly consider continuing as market seems too crazy and buying at record high price is something i may not be able to live with.

Jesus, where are you getting rent at that price? It's an absolute bargain! We're currently paying over 2k a month to rent a 3 bed semi in Dublin 9 while work is happening on our own house. I searched extensively to find a suitable let for us and didn't come across anything of a decent standard below circa 2k a month. If you're not fully invested in buying I would be holding on to that refresh property with both hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Has the approach of buying the worst house on the best road you can afford gone out of fashion? There are doer uppers available in decent areas for that budget. You may have to put up with poor interiors for a few years while you continue to save but you have a foothold in an area that you are happy to grow old in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement