Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Flinty997 wrote: »
    A car has no effect on property. A train though....

Point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Hamachi wrote: »
    They’re sub-areas within larger post codes.

Are they less desirable than Corduff, Ongar, or Tyrellstown? I’d say they’re pretty much on par.

Corduff probably is, but's it's a relatively small estate.

Cabra/Finglas/Ballymoon are large areas with some good parts but overall they still looks intimidating to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I don’t get the hate for Blakestown, Hartstown, and Huntstown. They would be my preference of the areas listed above.

would agreed on this, I think people get mixed on on where they actually are.

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

I'm not even sure where to start with this post because the attidute that comes across here stinks. There's a real sense of entitlement coming across here. I wish you the best of luck but if you're going to start blaming everyone else for your current predicament, you won't get far. No one is forcing you to participate in the current property market, you can continue to rent (and take your chances with that).

No entitlement
    Your posts come off as braggard and smug just cause your generation prob got lucky with prices
    we work hard for everything, 3 degrees between us and both start work at 15 plus own a small business, have kids and property in Poland.
    Average wage in Dublin is 50,000 BEFORE TAX
    After tax average wage is 36,000
    Average house is 400,000
    Average house is over 10 times salary of average wage
    This is not sustainable
    We think we doing ok but know many in worse financial position
    How are they supposed to buy
    or kids coming up now
    If prices keep "only going up" as you say if we see average price 20 times salary you will see younger generation rise up and cause mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

No entitlement
    Your posts come off as braggard and smug just cause your generation prob got lucky with prices
    we work hard for everything, 3 degrees between us and both start work at 15 plus own a small business, have kids and property in Poland.
    Average house is 400,000
    This is not sustainable
    or kids coming up now
    If prices keep "only going up" as you say if we see average price 20 times salary you will see younger generation rise up and cause mayhem

Sorry. I forgot to add bitter as well. My generation? LOL I'm not even 40 yet. You clearly fail to understand the concept of supply & demand and to be honest you come across as having quite a limited understanding of the housing market in general with the nonsensical statements you have made.

You come on looking for advice on Dublin 15, practically have been told what your budget will stretch to and have ignored most of what you've been told. You have ignored areas (for no good reason) which are perfectly fine for the budget you have. Then you purported to have drove around some of these areas and have ruled them out, one of them where houses are outside your budget (Hollystown). And then you go on to insult people with your nonsensical generalisations because you can't purchase what you want for the budget you have. I mean it really is laughable stuff.

If you think the housing suitation is so bad here why not up sticks and raise the family back in Poland? Property is cheaper there I'm sure. No one is forcing you to stay or purchase property. You can continue to rent if you want and take your chances.

And BTW, you think you're the only person to work hard? Less of the 3 degrees ****e... a bit of modesty wouldn't go astray either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iBaxter

A lot of insults and bad vibes being hurled around this topic. The truth is D15 is a large urban area with a population around 100,000. Yes there are some small pockets of troubled estates, which wouldnt be to desirable, and this would be reflected in the price, but this is no different to any other area of the country with similiar population.

You could pay big money in any part of Dublin and be unlucky to have bad neighbours and a high crime rate. Ive lived in Clonsilla area and found it to be calm and peaceful and a very nice area to live in.

Best of luck with your search.

If you think the housing suitation is so bad here why not up sticks and raise the family back in Poland? Property is cheaper there I'm sure. No one is forcing you to stay or purchase property. You can continue to rent if you want and take your chances.

Some of the points you’ve made above are valid. Possibly borne out frustration, some of the OP’s arguments are quite ranty.

However, the guy has come here to work in tech. It’s a sector I understand intimately as I’m a manager in one of the MNCs. There’s a global war for tech talent right now, given the chronic shortage of skilled staff globally. If possible, we should be facilitating those folks to come live here and more importantly, put down roots in Ireland, to maintain competitiveness in this most globalized of industries. A dysfunctional housing market does not help with staff retention in an industry where employees are highly mobile.

The OP is also a father with relatively young children. My personal circumstances are almost identical to his, so I empathize with his frustration, albeit not the way he has articulated himself on this thread. I think he has been provided valuable input from several posters. However, there is also some irrelevant commentary from folks with very different lifestyles. For instance, I’m not certain that advice from a middle-aged, childless person is particularly relevant or useful to the OP, whose family situation is dramatically different.

Sorry. I forgot to add bitter as well. My generation? LOL I'm not even 40 yet. You clearly fail to understand the concept of supply & demand and to be honest you come across as having quite a limited understanding of the housing market in general with the nonsensical statements you have made.

You come on looking for advice on Dublin 15, practically have been told what your budget will stretch to and have ignored most of what you've been told. You have ignored areas (for no good reason) which are perfectly fine for the budget you have. Then you purported to have drove around some of these areas and have ruled them out, one of them where houses are outside your budget (Hollystown). And then you go on to insult people with your nonsensical generalisations because you can't purchase what you want for the budget you have. I mean it really is laughable stuff.

And BTW, you think you're the only person to work hard? Less of the 3 degrees ****e... a bit of modesty wouldn't go astray either.

Not bitter
    Just realist
    You say i entitled and come off high mighty but when you were 30 prices were record low and so were rents
    Now 30 year old with good careers looking to buy face record high prices and rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Some of the points you’ve made above are valid. Possibly borne out frustration, some of the OP’s arguments are quite ranty.

However, the guy has come here to work in tech. It’s a sector I understand intimately as I’m a manager in one of the MNCs. There’s a global war for tech talent right now, given the chronic shortage of skilled staff globally. If possible, we should be facilitating those folks to come live here and more importantly, put down roots in Ireland, to maintain competitiveness in this most globalized of industries. A dysfunctional housing market does not help with staff retention in an industry where employees are highly mobile.

The OP is also a father with relatively young children. My personal circumstances are almost identical to his, so I empathize with his frustration, albeit not the way he has articulated himself on this thread. I think he has been provided valuable input from several posters. However, there is also some irrelevant commentary from folks with very different lifestyles. For instance, I’m not certain that advice from a middle-aged, childless person is particularly relevant or useful to the OP, whose family situation is dramatically different.

I have a young family, I haven't made a point of it because it's largely irrelevant. Yes it's well known locally that there's pressure with schools in the locality but that's perhaps a conversation for another thread. Profession is largely irrelevant to this topic also. What is relevant is budget. And what we know is it's limited for D15. The budget is not limited for somewhere over the road like Finglas. Is there an element of snobbery going on? I don't know but I do have to laugh sometimes as it seems to me that people, as another poster put it, want everything but the price.

What is relevant is budget. And what we know is it's limited for D15. The budget is not limited for somewhere over the road like Finglas. Is there an element of snobbery going on? I don't know but I do have to laugh sometimes as it seems to me that people, as another poster put it, want everything but the price.

Which is why I’ll make this point for hopefully the final time. OP, for a 350K budget, I really feel that your best option is focusing on the commuter towns that orbit Dublin. They are far more likely to meet you expectations in terms of house type, neighborhoods, schools, demographics than anything you are likely to find in Dublin 15 at your price point.

If I were you, I’d be looking as far out as places like Naas and Wicklow town. Sure, it will increase your commute time, but with the reality of widespread WFH in tech, it should also be highly manageable. I don’t think Dublin 15 is for you. This represents a decent compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Just realist

I think you're an idealist, not a realist.

Unfortunately, your purchasing power is just not high enough to get you what you want where you want it. You can talk about degrees and average salaries all you want but you can't argue the market downwards.

If you're in IT, I would consider looking around for better opportunities for more money or else compromising on your expectations. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No entitlement
    Average house is 400,000
    This is not sustainable
    or kids coming up now

Been highly educated is actually quite common in Ireland and doesnt put you above anyone.
    The property market is what it is in Ireland. If you want to compare with for example Poland the property is cheaper , rent is cheaper but also the salaries are very low. Its swings and roundabouts. There is property in Dublin for your budget but you will have to compromise and as another poster said you will get more bang for your buck outside of the city, but then you have commuting into the city and some lack of services etc, a car is a must. There are nearly 34,000 Polish living in Dublin , reach out to your community and they might give you the Polish view point also on the city and the areas they have decided to rent or buy. Best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

There are plenty of houses in good estates in Dublin within the OP's budget. We were in a similar situation 3 years ago with a slightly lower budget and bought a new house in the Lucan area. Yes it's not comparable to the likes of Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Ranelagh etc but also not even near on the anti-social behaviour level as Neilstown, Jobstown etc
    The vast majority of folks in Dublin live normal lifes in normal areas without being harassed.

The reality is that you either need to compromise on the house or area. That's what we had to do and I am glad that we were able to buy a house and not being dependent on the rental market anymore. A lot of hardworking people in Dublin are way worse off.
    Just for some perspective.

This house ok
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/27-castlegrange-park-castaheany-clonsilla-dublin-15-d15df86/4507737

Posters say Clonsilla has good and bad
    I am not familiar with this area

This house ok
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/27-castlegrange-park-castaheany-clonsilla-dublin-15-d15df86/4507737

Yes, i know these houses, very quiet, beside schools, buses, shops etc.. Any of the following areas i would highly recomnend, Castlegrange, ravenswood, Allendale, Little Pace, hazelbury.. There are many more small enclaves around here basically between Clonsilla and Clonee village..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

This house ok

This area is right beside a primary / secondary school community centre campus. Within walking distance of shops at Ongar. Near the bus that brings you to Train station at Clonsilla or could walk to clonsilla train station in about 25 minutes (or bike / drive and park for quicker).

I think its a fine area.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

This house ok

It’s not Cloncilla, it’s Hartstown, on your red list I’m afraid!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ongarite wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-29-delhurst-avenue-ongar-park-ongar-dublin-15/3270827
    This part of Ongar is good, these house style are excellent but place needs cleaning up.

The very fact they haven't even bothered tidying/cleaning to present the place for the listing says everything you need to know about the Dublin property market. No need to present it, it will go for 20k over asking anyway. :(

This house ok

I wouldn't get to bogged down to much on names of areas. Actually this house is in Castaheany, and as I said before most of the small enclaves in this area lie between Clonsilla village and clonee village. Eg. Littlepace, Manorfields, etc.. These areas are all good IMO, and the houses are generally well kept, with lots of green areas and good sports clubs and good communities. If i were you its worth taking a drive through any area you are thinking of buying and generally noting how well people keep their houses, if neat and tidy grass cut etc.. Its a positive sign, but long grass pealing paint abandoned cars around.. Id steer clear.

Either way i think you have had a big response from lots of people to your post, which hopefully is some help to u.. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

The very fact they haven't even bothered tidying/cleaning to present the place for the listing says everything you need to know about the Dublin property market. No need to present it, it will go for 20k over asking anyway. :(

I get your point, but at the same time domestic clutter has absolutely no impact on your purchase of a house, and in reality it's probably a more "honest" depiction of the property than an immaculately staged photoshop fest

• Advertisement

iBaxter wrote: »
    Yes, i know these houses, very quiet, beside schools, buses, shops etc.. Any of the following areas i would highly recomnend, Castlegrange, ravenswood, Allendale, Little Pace, hazelbury.. There are many more small enclaves around here basically between Clonsilla and Clonee village..

thanks so much
    to us this house is perfect
    price is within budget if it doesn't go higher in bidding

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

thanks so much
    to us this house is perfect
    price is within budget if it doesn't go higher in bidding

Let's hope the estate agent/vendor didn't read your opening post :pac:

We see ok house close by within budget
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/20-bramblefield-park-clonee-dublin-15/4507478

We do not know area - work buddy says avoid Bramblefield for this price as some social issues and close to "old rough area".
    Some places in Clonee ok but not they say
    Input?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I get your point, but at the same time domestic clutter has absolutely no impact on your purchase of a house, and in reality it's probably a more "honest" depiction of the property than an immaculately staged photoshop fest

Most home buyers can't see through the clutter though. They will turn down an identical property €50k cheaper because it doesn't look like a staged photoshop fest even if all it needs is a lick of paint, a day's spring clean and a few IKEA accessories. I heard once that the smell of baking bread can add thousands to a property!!

OP, you are being very restrictive and hampering your house search if you write off entire neighbourhoods just because you hear one or two negative media or online reports about individual incidents that may have happened in the past. I recall murders over the years in Howth, Castleknock proper, Ballsbridge and Dalkey...does that mean those most affluent suburbs are no go areas? Of course not. Pretty much all of the areas you listed are fine. Clonsilla has some beautiful leafy estates (Portersgate, Castlefield, Sorrel, Mount Synon, Windermere etc etc). How anyone can label that suburb as dodgy is not living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

We see ok house close by within budget
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/20-bramblefield-park-clonee-dublin-15/4507478

We do not know area - work buddy says avoid Bramblefield for this price as some social issues and close to "old rough area".
    Some places in Clonee ok but not they say
    Input?

It's a decent estate, you can get a better feel when you see it in person. The rough area is behind a wall

One thing that I would consider about D15 is the issues with pyrite. The estate agent wont tell you that. I've seen nice apartments in D15 that looked absolutely perfect only to find out shortly after that the estate was riddled with Pyrite

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

OP, you are being very restrictive and hampering your house search if you write off entire neighbourhoods just because you hear one or two negative media or online reports about individual incidents that may have happened in the past. I recall murders over the years in Howth, Castleknock proper, Ballsbridge and Dalkey...does that mean those most affluent suburbs are no go areas? Of course not. Pretty much all of the areas you listed are fine. Clonsilla has some beautiful leafy estates (Portersgate, Castlefield, Sorrel, Mount Synon, Windermere etc etc). How anyone can label that suburb as dodgy is not living in the real world.[/quote]

The OP was already told this but just believes his buddy in work over many posters on boards.

Could be a big financial mistake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

If Bramblefield is rough then there is no hope. Your work buddy makes the entire postcode except Castleknock sound like a war zone.

You knocked out Hartstown/Huntstown which is a pity as it is within budget. Older estates like Oakview have a very close-knit community feel and so much effort put in by residents with planting and painting common areas. Newer estates like Westhaven, Rusheeny, Glenealy are well worth a look. Well located but quieter than the high-traffic estates around Eurospar/Circle K. There will be teens though still, a bit unavoidable.

Behind these estates are Littlepace and Castaheaney which is the link you posted recently. Littlepace has its own quicker bus and shops/pub but a bit further away from everything. Manorfields, Hunter's Run, Hazelbury Deerhaven and the aforementioned Bramblefield are all perfectly nice. Pretty close to Ongar as well on the Castaheaney side. Latchford is a lovely estate as well beside Castlegrange.

People want to help you but you are judging big areas and groups of estates quite unfairly. It is your house in the end and people are trying to help you but you are dismissing advice left, right and centre.

I am very happy to live in one of your dismissed areas. We have never had any trouble and our road is extremely quiet as it is a cul de sac. We worked hard too and bought right before Covid so I am not in some lucky blessed generation who bought a house for 25k, not that you should be disparaging to anyone regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

People can't afford to live in places that are on their red list

Not a great start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Rusheeney is not a bad spot, I personally don't like anywhere near Blanch, I think it has been overbuilt. Just ask anyone who lives there what it is like getting in and out of the shopping centre Christmas week in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Why are people even continuing to help this obnoxious person? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement