Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Sulphate (II) - Ferric boogaloo

Options
  • 05-06-2021 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I want to treat my lawn for moss using iron (II) sulphate but am finding it difficult to get a definitive answer about dosage. What I've read has varied between 5g/m^2 and 35g/m^2. I intend to apply using a sprayer.

What have other people used and what's worked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

50g to a litre of water for 10sg Mt maximum. Rates depend on the purpose - blackening moss, greening up, turf hardening etc.

https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/lawn-care-advice/how-to-feed-lawn/using-ferrous-sulphate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I want to treat my lawn for moss using iron (II) sulphate but am finding it difficult to get a definitive answer about dosage. What I've read has varied between 5g/m^2 and 35g/m^2. I intend to apply using a sprayer.

What have other people used and what's worked?

I didn't do this myself. But recommended a neighbor use 5g/m^2 and it worked out OK, can't tell you the actual dilution he used. I did say work out the meterage to know how much Iron Sulphate you need then use as much water as you need to cover the lawn and keep going over it till its all used up.

In the past I've always used a sharp dry sand and Iron Sulphate mix in a spreader 10 parts sand one part Iron Sulphate.

My understanding is you can use higher rates but need water or rain after about 24hours to stop it damaging the grass.

The lawn sand method also has some controlling affect on broad leaved weeds which get scorched.

In case anyone is buying Ferrous Sulphate this is the sort of price you should be paying https://www.thedandys.ie/product/sulphate-of-iron

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement