Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry Blossom under siege by ants

Options
  • 05-06-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

This happened last year as well. The leaves are becoming completely covered. If it's anything like last summer, all the leaves will be gone in 2 months.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't look like ants to me.

Drench it with a spray of soapy water,

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Don't look like ants to me.

Drench it with a spray of soapy water,

Whoops yes I think you're right. There are a lot of ants around the base of the tree and I just assumed it was them but these are darker.

Would the soapy water damage the tree no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Black aphids. The ants feed off the honeydew they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Aphid attack yes soapy water with a bit of vinegar or garlic sprayed every 7 - 10 days.

Ants are there for nectar from the aphids secretions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

endacl wrote: »
    Black aphids. The ants feed off the honeydew they produce.

Sometime the clever ba$tard ants actually move the aphids around so they can milk them and feed off the honeydew.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/controlling-aphids-and-ants.htm

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’ve heard about that before, they’re actually ‘farming’ the aphids. As annoying as it is it’s pretty interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

That is absolutely crazy. I will definitely be taking a closer look at that tomorrow to see if I can see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I’ve heard about that before, they’re actually ‘farming’ the aphids. As annoying as it is it’s pretty interesting!

I've watched it happen in a greenhouse.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement