Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland has developed a moral obligation to defend zionism

Options
  • 05-06-2021 10:38pm

Daniel O'Connell once said that the Irish people had a "special claim" on Jewish people because, during his life, we were the only 'race' never to have persecuted Jews.

Except for one notable example (the Limerick Boycott) -- which was nothing more than a local row -- that record remains intact.

We occupy a fairly unique perspective in European politics. We have no history of condemning, or alienating zionism as a matter of national policy; we never deported jews by our own desire, and jewish people have been here for centuries.

It strikes me that, instead of aiding the self-determination of the jewish people, we have lately taken the side of Palestine, and have abandoned our nominal neutrality in so-doing. In pursuing our tacit support for Palestine, we have squandered political capital.

I am not suggesting we support the state of Israel, far from it.

I simply think we could have, and still can, play a more constructive role in international affairs by emphasising our history of non-aggression, and developing a policy in favour of a sustainable, peacable jewish state. We should be emphasising our historical non-agression against zionism, including at the level of the United Nations.

In short, I think we are risking our role as a possible honest broker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Two years, then miraculous resurrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

I actually missed the fact it was a Zombie thread! The poster just prior to me resurrected it and I didn't notice till you said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It is none of our business, it really isn't.

That entire region has been meddled with needlessly by foreign agendas for literally 1000's of years.

What does Rupert Murdoch think, has anyone even asked him yet?

The most nauseating aspect to it from an Irish perspective is morons from the 6 counties managing to generate their own mislead patriotism into waving Israeli or Palestinian flags around their council estate. Like they really have a right to choose sides down there, after the holy shít show of an example they are showing the rest of the world?

I doubt anyone down in Gaza is losing any sleep over the plight of any dole hound subversive from West Belfast either, phucking clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,875 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a completely bizarre thread. Much worse than that though it totally overlooks the long history of anti-semitism in Ireland and the OP dismisses the Limerick pogrom as "a local row". In the 19th and 20th centuries many politicians and clerics were openly anti-semitic. Ireland refused to accept Jewish refugees in the 1930s and 40s. We had no problem taking in refugee German children immediately after the war (a commendable act) but refused refugee Jewish children.

Impeccable logic on display from the Department of Justice in 1948:

It has always been the policy of the Minister for Justice to restrict the admission of Jewish aliens, for the reason that any substantial increase in our Jewish population might give rise to an anti-Semitic problem.

although 250 children were admitted in the end. (Like the non-Jewish Germans, few if any settled here.)

Then there was Oliver J. Flanagan. He used his maiden speech in the Dáil to urge the government to use the Emergency Powers Acts to "rout the Jews out of this country":

How is it that we do not see any of these Acts directed against the Jews, who crucified Our Saviour nineteen hundred years ago, and who are crucifying us every day in the week? How is it that we do not see them directed against the Masonic Order? How is it that the I.R.A. is considered an illegal organisation while the Masonic Order is not considered an illegal organisation? [...] There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.

— Oliver Flanagan, Dáil Éireann, 9 July 1943.

This lovely man remained a TD until his death in 1987.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Meeting a rival political leader, two week prior.

Thats some intense stuff right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

America is just as much to blame for what is going to happen as Israel. The recent invasion of the sacred Islamic sites in Jerusalem and the enormously increased un-restrained illegal seizures of Arab homes and lands in the occupied territories including in Jerusalem itself have left the Palestinians with no choices, no hopes and nothing else left to lose. The teenage Hamas fighters with stones and small arms are the heroes of this action. They are exactly the same as young Ukranians fighting against Russia, but without the military means to do so. They are the blood of the Palestinian people and they hold the hearts and prayers of all Palestinians as they fight and sacrifice their young lives in the cause of liberty, rights and justice. These words once meant something in America too, but not any more. America is the dying imperialistic empire, no longer the pre-eminent super-power, reduced to genocide against small nations and the un-armed, as they are pushed back and intimidated by China and a growing opposition all over the world. We are all watching. We can all see exactly what you stand for. America today stands for greed, avarice, the naked use of power to steal the rights, food, water, resources and future of those smaller than you. It is a simple story. Donald Trump is a normal manifestation of your true nature. You are an immoral, blood-thirsty gang of inhuman monsters ? It seems so, when you look at what your state dept and military do and have done in your name in Palestine, Iraq, Chile, Nicaragua, Vietnam and so many, many other places that have seen the real evil in your heart. Yes, to normal caring human beings, from just about every other country, including countries your mentally and morally handicapped president trump openly called “****-hole countries, you are inhuman monsters with no morals or excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

The fact you say that Hamas terrorists are heroes is disgusting, it doesn't matter what age the fighters are. The last count I seen was 1200 people slaughtered by Hamas, including 40 baby beheaded, how are they heroes? The Jews were displaced from their lands, formally known as the Kingdom of Israel and the Kingdom of Judea, centuries ago by Islamic caliphates and were persecuted. In recent times they were allowed to settle in Jerusalem by the ****-stirring Brits. This led to waves of violence against the jews as the Palestinians felt their lands were being invaded by a race of people whose religion did not aligned with their own. To be fair, I understand their POV but the Jews just wanted a place called home as they were essentially stateless. Jerusalem is as important to the Jews as what Mecca is to Muslims. Yes the Americans caused a lot of **** but they have done a lot of good also. They helped save Europe from Hitlers reign, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I hate to be saying this really - as a northern nationalist - but personally I think we did quite a lot of harm to the jewish people, just by playing 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' during WW2.

Deleted User will never read my reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Can you explain what harms were done by us during WW2?

• Advertisement

you are absolutely correct - I completely meant WW1!! My apologies :D

I could pretend I knew it was a zombie thread - but I didnt. Totally was thinking of 1916.

that actually makes me feel a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I oppose the stealing of land in the West Bank etc to build housing for New Yorkers and Russians etc but I don’t get the outrage over the desire for an officially Jewish state which is what Zionism is

so what if Israel is officially Jewish ?, it’s not like non Jews are barred from living there, Saudi Arabia is officially Muslim as are dozens of other countries, surely one state is allowed be Jewish ?

Advertisement