Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns with a beach within walking distance

Options
  • 06-06-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some new day trip towns in Donegal. Specifically somewhere I can park up, go for lunch (or takeaway grub) and then go for a nice walk on the beach.

I was in Dunfanaghy recently, got some food from Casa Cafe and them stroll the beach. It was perfect. Also been to Rathmullan and Buncrana, both really nice.

Any other nice reccomendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Culdaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Ballyliffin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

Downings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

More villages than towns but Portsalon and Kincasslagh

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Falcarragh and Gweedore. Magheroarty is a bit outside a village but has parking and is a lovely beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

Ballyliffin

Great suggestion, I'm just back from Ballyliffin! Really nice beach.

icarus86 wrote: »
    Falcarragh and Gweedore. Magheroarty is a bit outside a village but has parking and is a lovely beach.

I went to Gweedore yesterday and stopped at the beach in Bungbeg. Beautiful beach and nice wee town. Thanks for reccomendation! Falcarragh is probably next on my list.

Thanks for all the reccomendations! You are all helping plan my summer :)

Any beaches in the south west of Donegal that meet the criteria? Big emphasis on it being walking distance to a town or village. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lc180 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the reccomendations! You are all helping plan my summer :)

Any beaches in the south west of Donegal that meet the criteria? Big emphasis on it being walking distance to a town or village. Cheers!

bundoran !

Rossnowlagh (although calling it a village is stretching it)

mountcharles (although its a brisk walk to the beach and not much accomodation in the village)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

icarus86 wrote: »

Falcarragh, the beach is a fair walk from the town - although well worth it! - just not right there like Dunfanaghy.

Magheraroarty has a coffee truck and a food van doing crepes etc in the car park beside the beach (haven't got anything from them yet, so can't vouch for quality), and Coll's at the top of the pier road will be doing takeaway from next weekend, and I must certainly CAN vouch for their grub - it's great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Op,
    Heard a guy on Highland radio this morning, and he has a new website to highlight all the Donegal beaches.

Might be worth checking out.

https://donegalbeaches.com/[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Leabgarrow beach on Arranmore Island is another one, has a few bars and restaurants right off the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Excellent thread, thank you everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Portnoo or Narin...very small village but beautiful beach

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

trixi001 wrote: »
    Portnoo or Narin...very small village but beautiful beach

See also, Maghery. It has a pub so that counts!

Advertisement