Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript/React or Ruby/Rails?

Options
  • 06-06-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am a bit lost when it comes to deciding what programming path to take. Ultimately I want to build my own projects and startup ideas into MVPs, most likely want to create platforms/marketplace.

For learning I've been learning html and css but issue comes when I am trying to decide the route to take.

Would I be better off learning javascript and react/node.js first before trying to learn ruby and rails?

My thought is that javascript/react/node would allow for greater employability and then I should learn ruby and rails after in my own time in order to build my own ideas and platforms?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm in Berlin which is very startup heavy. JS and React are used here way more than anything else from what I've seen. Although I do see Ruby/Rails the odd time, Github is a big user of it for instance. I aways felt it was used more in the states.

I don't think you need ruby/rails to necessarily prototype faster. Plenty of ways of doing it in JS as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Anima wrote: »
    I'm in Berlin which is very startup heavy. JS and React are used here way more than anything else from what I've seen. Although I do see Ruby/Rails the odd time, Github is a big user of it for instance. I aways felt it was used more in the states.

I don't think you need ruby/rails to necessarily prototype faster. Plenty of ways of doing it in JS as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you are saying. It does seem to be definitely used more in the states.

My being drawn to ruby/rails was that a lot of marketplace and platforms such as airbnb,esty, shopify have utilised it in their early days. And it seems to be a useful for the early stage of start ups!

My particular aim is to develope an ecommerce type platform.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I see what you are saying. It does seem to be definitely used more in the states.

My being drawn to ruby/rails was that a lot of marketplace and platforms such as airbnb,esty, shopify have utilised it in their early days. And it seems to be a useful for the early stage of start ups!

My particular aim is to develope an ecommerce type platform.

I gave up on ROR because I spent too much time trying to pour solutions into a very opinionated framework.... I switched to PHP 8.0

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Think I'll go with the javascript route first! Would you suggest javascript and react or node?

I do think I will want to learn ruby on rails or a similar framework in the future to try develope the marketplace platform but by that time something completely different may be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Talisman

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Think I'll go with the javascript route first! Would you suggest javascript and react or node?

I do think I will want to learn ruby on rails or a similar framework in the future to try develope the marketplace platform but by that time something completely different may be better.
    If you know what you're doing then developing a platform with JavaScript can be done relatively quickly. It takes time to develop the skills to get to that level and following tutorials knocked together by people in their spare time to showcase their 'skills' will only get you so far.

React and Node are opposite ends of the spectrum. React is only concerned with the presentation layer in the web browser, it interacts with the server and updates the view for the user. Node is on the server side of the operation. Typically a web framework like Express is used for the server side. I've only mentioned Express because it is quite popular so you'll find plenty of tutorials or code snippets online.

If you aren't familiar with databases or don't want to freak yourself out because you're already taking enough MongoDB is a reasonable choice for creating a MVP. MongoDB is a JSON store and not a real database but it will get you where you want to be.

MongoDB - data store
    Express - Node.js web framework on the server side
    React - presentation layer on the client side
    Node - JavaScript runtime environment on the server side

That's known as the MERN stack and is quite popular. I'm not endorsing it by any means but knowing about it will help you on your way. I would imagine that using it as a starting point will prove quite daunting if you are only familiar with HTML and CSS but it's definitely a good way to learn JavaScript for web development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement