Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying to let an apartment in Balsbriggan - Cardy rock view area

Options
  • 06-06-2021 8:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭

Dear forum participants,

I took into account many comments you have made about Citywest and Balymun.

Now I am close to sale agreed on a 2 bedroom apartment in Balbriggan, very good condition, tenants in situ, rent 1400, price 200 000 EUR (quoted initially at 180 000), Cardy rock view area, close to the sea.

The tenants want to stay for 2 more years.

How does this sound to you as a long term investment? I am a cash buyer. Was priced out of Dublin in the last 3 months...

I must say there is real frenzy on the market, people getting rid of cash in the anticipation of upcoming hyperinflation, it is a true liquidity tsunami...

On the other hand:

I have read the latest news on US and EU to agree on uniform increase of corporate taxes globally.

Corroborate that with recent scandalous "news" of Microsoft Dublin branch paying ZERO tax of 400 billion profits in EU.

Can EU force Ireland give up on the current tax rates?

Could that drive US multinationals out of Ireland?

That would lower prices and rents dramatically in Dublin.... a bad news for a small investor....

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

John1648 wrote: »
    ......tenants in situ.......

This spells trouble. Why is the vendor selling (for a lower price than market rate) without evicting the tenants and gaining vacant possession?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭John1648

DubCount wrote: »
    This spells trouble. Why is the vendor selling (for a lower price than market rate) without evicting the tenants and gaining vacant possession?

My impression is that this price is not below market rate. The asked price was 180 k, went up to 200 k. Other comparable 2-bedroom apartments in Balbriggan went for 190 - 200 k in the last month.

In fact my interest is to keep the tenents, who were there for a few years now.

And same is the interest of the agent - to sell to an investor rather than to an owner-occupier, - as the agent can keep receiving letting and property management fees, - myself being abroad.

Do you smell trouble in such a case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Are the tenants on hap? I'd question whether the government will continue to pay such high rents into the future.
    My tuppence worth - I reckon there will be big financial potholes to fill in the next few years, who better to nail than the big bad landlord!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yes, it should be a good investment. The demand for rental properties in Balbriggan is very high but the tax on rental income is too.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    yes, it should be a good investment. The demand for rental properties in Balbriggan is very high but the tax on rental income is too.

The same income tax brackets apply, i.e 20%, minus quite a range of deductible costs.

I recon a net 1000 out of 1400 gross.

Some people advise against Balbriggan due to antisocial behaviour etc.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Are the tenants on hap? I'd question whether the government will continue to pay such high rents into the future.
    My tuppence worth - I reckon there will be big financial potholes to fill in the next few years, who better to nail than the big bad landlord!

Mmm, not sure if they are on hap. I am told this is a Polish couple, and I could see they maintain the apartment very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OP - keep discussion of this to this thread alone please

This is the property I am considering to close the deal on

https://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/17-Cardy-Rock-Drive-Cardy-Rock-View-Balbriggan-Co-Dublin/5077755/

Is the area dangerous, repulsive or decaying?

Can one get tenents on a regular mode? Is there at all demand for such rental properties?

What if the Council stops renting from such landlords?

Can repairs be costly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Thread #3 on the same subject.

Error, thread #4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why are you asking an Internet forum for advice on investing €200,000? Get professional advise. This sounds like you haven’t a close and a disaster waiting to happen

• Advertisement

I seriously intended to buy right before covid kicked in.

I stopped looking during covid, and then hoped, like many, that prices will go down.

Now, the additional savings I have made in the meantime, were eaten up by the price increases. It seems that waiting longer can mean further price increases- hence my motivation to act. So I resumed the searches and analysis.

Indeed, I am not experienced in buying to let properties, hence my appeal to the present forum. Many speak against being a small landlord ... plus many speak against Balbriggan or other areas within my budget.

In one year I have been priced out of Tallaght, Balymun, Saggart, Finglas and Citywest.

All options fell, apart from Balbriggan. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As long as there is a massive lack of housing and social housing HAP will exist.

What is wrong with having HAP tenents? From a landlord perspective.

What is the worst part?

I am told that the Council pays rent on tgd last Wednesday of the month, like a clock.

DubCount wrote: »
    Mmm, not sure if they are on hap. I am told this is a Polish couple, and I could see they maintain the apartment very well.

Call me suspcious, but... why would a couple need that many sofas, that many dining room chairs, and that many wardrobes? There is enough of each for at least six people.

I'd double check that there is only ONE couple living there.

Buy the house OP. It's obviously a goldmine if the current landlord is doing a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

We have a 4 seater, 2 single seaters and 2 2 seaters and there address only 2 of us. Nice to have options!

We have a 4 seater, 2 single seaters and 2 2 seaters and there address only 2 of us. Nice to have options!

Do you also have multiple wardrobes and a couple of double beds as options?

The OP was told there was a couple living there but from the pictures it looks like more then one bedroom is occupied and there are more than two people living there.

I'd just be wary of subletting, and as I'm sure you know, if someone has been subletting from a tenant for a while, they can ask to be put on the tenancy, and grounds for the landlord to refuse are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Call me suspcious, but... why would a couple need that many sofas, that many dining room chairs, and that many wardrobes? There is enough of each for at least six people.

I'd double check that there is only ONE couple living there.

Yeah, just looking at the pictures, the property SCREAMS that there is about 6-8 people living there, 4 Chairs at the kitchen table with another 2 just sat there, loads of sofas and far far too many wardrobes for 2 people

Sale agreed. Best of luck Op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

The same income tax brackets apply, i.e 20%, minus quite a range of deductible costs.

I recon a net 1000 out of 1400 gross.

Some people advise against Balbriggan due to antisocial behaviour etc.

They're right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i would not have the stones for BTL right now unless i planned to enter into a long term lease with the council , tenants simply have all the power

i could however understand someone buying and simply leaving vacant as capital appreciation is likely

Would you say buying a two bedroom apt in Ballymun, Charter building, for 200 k cash, currently let for 1450 EUR to a young single mother on HAP, is a cool, profitable and sound idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I signed contracts on a 1 bed apt in Cardy Rock about 15 years ago - whenever it was built.

I was lucky enough to get sick at the time so the developer allowed me to pull out with no penalty and also refunded my deposit. I was blessed - it looked like a bit of a dive a few years later when I went to see what I almost purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Darc19 wrote: »
    Thread #3 on the same subject.

Error, thread #4.

godtabh wrote: »
    Why are you asking an Internet forum for advice on investing €200,000? Get professional advise. This sounds like you haven’t a close and a disaster waiting to happen

Clearly on a wind up. The latest evidence…
    Would you say buying a two bedroom apt in Ballymun, Charter building, for 200 k cash, currently let for 1450 EUR to a young single mother on HAP, is a cool, profitable and sound idea?

Advertisement