Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What car do you hate that everyone else loves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Autosport wrote: »
    Nissan Juke

Do people like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Do people like this?

Seem to. Lot of them on the roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Seem to. Lot of them on the roads

I find Grannies go into buy a Micra and they seem to come out with one of these for some reason.

I find Grannies go into buy a Micra and they seem to come out with one of these for some reason.

Good bit more expensive than a Micra (think they’re based on) but the “sitting high up” is likely a key selling point!
    Never really minded them and my own mother was half interested in one but it would have been the older model which is over a decade old now so is way outclassed

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

Probably an unpopular opinion but the Ford Ranger. I’d probably like it if I drove it but just think it looks awful. Towing and off road capability aside, is a pick up even practical in terms of cargo space?

Horrible American styling. Don’t think we need them on Irish roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Renault fluence awful looking car.

But nobody loves them they just drive them from A to B with the bare minimum of servicing.

Probably an unpopular opinion but the Ford Ranger. I’d probably like it if I drove it but just think it looks awful. Towing and off road capability aside, is a pick up even practical in terms of cargo space?

Yes I have to admit I love them! They’re actually decent value and if you’re a builder, farmer or business owner that needs such a vehicle they’re a great choice.
    Ford made big inroads into that utility SUV market which previously the Pajero or land cruiser dominated with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Cheap SUVs?

Nothing cheap about them, overpriced compared to a comparable saloon of the same make, IF the saloon was still available.

Pure racket by the manufacturers, marketing towards the upwardly mobile/yummy mummy set with 'notions', selling an illusion about safety when as a rule they handle badly and at least initially performed relatively poorly in the crash tests..

Horrible yokes.

Have to disagree.
    I am a convert. Drove passats and mondeos for years, just picked up a very clean 2012 vw tiguan sport and it's a whole different beast altogether.

Way more comfortable. Great boot space and can fold the seats completely flat for loading like a van.
    Great handling too, a pleasure to drive.

I test drove a hyundai Tucson and loved it, will definitely look at one in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mitsubishi Lancer (all generations) - they seem to have a dedicated following but every time I see one, I wonder why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Mitsubishi Lancer (all generations) - they seem to have a dedicated following but every time I see one, I wonder why.

The following is more for the evo...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

The following is more for the evo...

Yup loved the evo but take away the evo and the lancer was as dull as dishwater.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have to disagree.
    I am a convert. Drove passats and mondeos for years, just picked up a very clean 2012 vw tiguan sport and it's a whole different beast altogether.

Way more comfortable. Great boot space and can fold the seats completely flat for loading like a van.
    Great handling too, a pleasure to drive.
    I know someone with one and they're very happy with it alright, though complain about fuel consumption. I suppose that's going to be an issue with any larger car. Interior is nice and it's nicely bolted together in typical VW fashion and like you say it would have vanlike load capacity. It's a great all rounder. That said I wouldn't see the great handling aspect at all. :confused: It's comfortable alright but the steering is completely dead and it handles like a boat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Any convertible - just hate them

stoneill wrote: »

Yep, I'm with you on that one, I just don't get the attraction at all.

Pat_bottom wrote: »
    Yup loved the evo but take away the evo and the lancer was as dull as dishwater.

Everybody knows that. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say I love my lancer they're horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Wibbs wrote: »
    That said I wouldn't see the great handling aspect at all. :confused: It's comfortable alright but the steering is completely dead and it handles like a boat.
    Well his comparison seems to be a mondeo and passat, not like either are known for their handling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

There is a lot, and I mean a lot, I dislike very much. However at the top of the list:

• Nissan c*ntkai and other associated sh*theaps masquerading as "Jeeps". Bonus points for using a trolley bay collection point as a so called bullbar. Pathetic vehicles for pathetic lifestyles whilst drowning in debt over an out of budget miserable pathetic new build house
    • Mk6 Golfs/Mk3 Leons and other similar VAG hatchbacks. Actually, make that all similar aged/sized hatchbacks. Note: to qualify for the aforementioned you metro font reg plates, crooked dual boo tips, some stupid vinyl on either windscreen, team hekos, rubbish tints and a maximum of a 1.6 TDI thats supposedly remapped. N plates not essential but optional
    • Dacia. The entire brand

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair the Mondeo had quite the good rep for handling, depending on model and type of course, but would be well ahead of the VW in that respect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Don't hold back FP. :D

Don't hold back FP. :D

I thought I did hold back and all! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Hyundai.

They're everywhere. Hate them.

Also hate Nissan Jukes and other fake 4x4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Might not count but I've had a few Fiat X19"s over the years, people will know the old Fix It Again Tony jokes :)

Rust aside and it was a terrible problem, these cars we're just amazing and yet ridiculed for decades. I believe Top Gear (the original, not the current Tripe) highly rated the X19.

I've had some great memories and Trips in mine and as a complete novice mechanically was able to maintain them easily (bar the rust challenges)

Sadly I've sold my last one but intend getting another one when finances allow.

Pic attached of my last one, sold on about 2 year now.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

VW generally, but especially Golf
    Down to the people who drive them.

Where did they learn how to drive or - particularly park.

Most seem addicted to parking on footpaths, at junctions, double yellows, bends and never seem to park or keep their car straight.

Must be an issue with steering.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Might not count but I've had a few Fiat X19"s over the years, people will know the old Fix It Again Tony jokes :)

Rust aside and it was a terrible problem, these cars we're just amazing and yet ridiculed for decades. I believe Top Gear (the original, not the current Tripe) highly rated the X19.

I've had some great memories and Trips in mine and as a complete novice mechanically was able to maintain them easily (bar the rust challenges)

Sadly I've sold my last one but intend getting another one when finances allow.

Pic attached of my last one, sold on about 2 year now.

A nice 1500 there! The one thing I genuinely hated about them was the rust as that makes restoring them a challenge; truly a crying shame they weren't protected better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

There is a lot, and I mean a lot, I dislike very much. However at the top of the list:

• Nissan c*ntkai and other associated sh*theaps masquerading as "Jeeps". Bonus points for using a trolley bay collection point as a so called bullbar. Pathetic vehicles for pathetic lifestyles whilst drowning in debt over an out of budget miserable pathetic new build house
    • Mk6 Golfs/Mk3 Leons and other similar VAG hatchbacks. Actually, make that all similar aged/sized hatchbacks. Note: to qualify for the aforementioned you metro font reg plates, crooked dual boo tips, some stupid vinyl on either windscreen, team hekos, rubbish tints and a maximum of a 1.6 TDI thats supposedly remapped. N plates not essential but optional
    • Dacia. The entire brand

I was on FB during the week and was looking at Salthill Sunday's page. Literally the whole photo album was of VAG TDI's, Altezza's and the odd actually interesting machine like an MX5. An obligatory yokel in the passenger seat with a benson hanging from his underbite showing a upheld hand in true laaaaadd style. Of the TDI brigade it was exactly as you described, N plates, black smoke and visors. Then the comments... the gaurds shud leave us a lone. We are only car enthuziasts and are being presecueted. Wudnt happen to the GAA lads or people drinkin.

Amazing how I can bring my E36 to shows across Munster and not be hassled by the Gardai. In fact I've never been pulled over in the 4 years of ownership because the things is unmolested, taxed and insured and not driven like it's stolen.

One word……Prius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

I can't abide anything that is "self-charging". Just pure nonsense marketing drivel.

Ditto on hybrids or PHEVS. (And we have had two, so I know how much of a pain they are!) Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a piece of crap that is a pain to maintain, like a tank to drive and park.

Either go full EV or full fossil. The half way house is the worst of all worlds.

I'm going to show some love to the ubiquitous Qashqai, even though they are not for me. My late aunt and uncle found that car very easy to get into, get out of, drive and park when they were struggling badly with arthritis. I also know some other people with physical disabilities who find them very handy. That's why people lifting small children go for them too. Protecting their backs with an easy to source , reliable, accessible car. It's easy to dismiss them when you're young, able-bodied, not had major abdominal surgery and expected to wrestle with toddlers who don't want to be strapped into carseats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A nice 1500 there! The one thing I genuinely hated about them was the rust as that makes restoring them a challenge; truly a crying shame they weren't protected better

I hear you, Rust was a nightmare, what you see was not what I purchased, in an awful condition. I recall many years ago fibre panels could be purchased from the UK and relatively cheaply, not sure if still available.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I was on FB during the week and was looking at Salthill Sunday's page. Literally the whole photo album was of VAG TDI's, Altezza's and the odd actually interesting machine like an MX5. An obligatory yokel in the passenger seat with a benson hanging from his underbite showing a upheld hand in true laaaaadd style. Of the TDI brigade it was exactly as you described, N plates, black smoke and visors. Then the comments... the gaurds shud leave us a lone. We are only car enthuziasts and are being presecueted. Wudnt happen to the GAA lads or people drinkin.

Amazing how I can bring my E36 to shows across Munster and not be hassled by the Gardai. In fact I've never been pulled over in the 4 years of ownership because the things is unmolested, taxed and insured and not driven like it's stolen.

Aye, then you have the funny fellas in odd yokes... See the lads in the Multipla for example? Stylie hand gestures, jaunty pictures of the vehicles with a faint filter. Disappointed there was no bucky hangin out the window. At least them boys went in something different in a sea of the same dreary dirtboxes

I do like heavy black diesel smoke... When it goes hand in hand with a bit of power. With these sh*theaps it's a popcorn/reek map by some clown with a kids chromebook

At least when I had smokey yokes back in the day they were actually modified for a bit of extra power, the trade off being excessive smoke during boost threshold!

I do look up to those who go to shows in proper vehicles. I couldn't do the whole show thing with the yokes I have. Too many morons who think they know it all, and expect you to believe their bullsh*te. That's the worst part, they expect you to believe their fantasy and prevarication :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Easy, those damn 1991 Nissan Figaros that keep trolling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Most crossovers/SUVs to be honest. I am glad the type of car I like (A6, 5 series) is looking like surviving the saloon genocide. I presume they're still outselling the equivalent SUV from same manufacturers. If I was mondeo man I'd be gutted to be looking at moving to Kuga type vehicle.

killing saloons will be a horrible situation

Easy, those damn 1991 Nissan Figaros that keep trolling me.

some hipster types spent thousands on that accessory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Also for BMWs and Golfs too. Vast majority of BMWs look the same, all pretty boring. There's rare exceptions

Hurrache wrote: »
    Also for BMWs and Golfs too. Vast majority of BMWs look the same, all pretty boring. There's rare exceptions

Look the same as BMWs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I do look up to those who go to shows in proper vehicles. I couldn't do the whole show thing with the yokes I have. Too many morons who think they know it all, and expect you to believe their bullsh*te. That's the worst part, they expect you to believe their fantasy and prevarication :rolleyes:

In fairness the shows attract all types. The key difference if you are acting like a knob you will be told as much.

But ya on topic. I hate the whole agri spec thing, even if it is very very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Some hate for high up SUV type cars but despite their faults it's way easier lugging kids in and out of them. Saloon cars are a ball of back pain trying to seat young kids and get them belted up, especially if tantrum/wrestlmania in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

stoneill wrote: »

Just notions in a country with a handful of days in the year that suit them. Plenty scope for them to leak as they get on in years I'd imagine.

Any "slammed" cars, equally impractical and stupid looking in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Alfa GT. A lot of folk here think it’s the Mona Lisa of car styling, I think it looks crap. Like a 156/9 (they’re another story) got a severe rear ending. Lights look ridiculously out of proportion, it’s not really a coupe or a hatchback and it’s certainly not a GT. That’s before we’re mention the reliability issues.

In my humble the Brera was the much nicer looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

I also don’t understand crossover / suv electrics.

I would have thought aerodynamics were key for an electric car but every manufacturer seems to be trying to make the biggest, boxiest square design going.

I understand it’s public demand looking for this huge vehicles but I’d prefer a low down, low drag design if I went ev. No craic having your range plummet when you hit a motorway and you are reluctant to use air con freely in your 40k plus machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The "great space for shopping" in SUVs.
    Great if you're planning on feeding an army platoon. Are you Susan?

Boring and oversized, visually ranging from bland at best to ugly at worst. The McMansion in vehicle form and the de rigueur accompaniment for those architectural blots on the landscape.

Yeah, no, most of them don't look to have much boot space compared to a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I think some people think they are great simply because they are higher up!

I often think these people would be better off in a Transit, or if the actually need the back seats, a transit Turneo (or whatever they're called).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Corrolla Twin cams, there pig ugly.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I often think these people would be better off in a Transit, or if the actually need the back seats, a transit Turneo (or whatever they're called).

I'd love one of them. But they're mental money. Ford Galaxy is as close as I'll ever have gotten.

Have to say, I love the styling of the Ranger. Especially the somewhat beefed up "raptor" ones with the wide mudguards and such.

That said, I do think some people over-do the styling on them and they just look silly. Seen a black one in balbriggan last week. Looked wider than normal and clearly had a lift kit installed. All black, tints, black wheels, etc. On paper i'd have said it'd be amazing but it just looked cheap and tacky. So they can be a bit hit and miss.

What really puts me off them (but wouldn't stop me buying one if i had the cash lying around) is how impractical they are. I was collecting my shopping (click and collect) in tesco this morning and there were two other cars there. A Ranger and an Outlander.

Ranger chap just looked awkward and uncomfortable. Seemed his options were to either drop the tail gate, and then try to stretch beyond it to put the shopping in (or put it on the tailgate itself, then close it to topple all the shopping in) or do what he opted to do - reach over the top of the tailgate and try to drop stuff in. Just looked difficult. Donno why he didn't just use the back seat, to be honest.

Whereas myself and Outlander man were just firing stuff into the boots of our cars and gone. (actually first time i got a proper look at an Outlander - I quite like them!).

For me, for cars I don't like but that seem popular, I'd echo previously mentioned ones mostly:

Nissan Juke - horrendous. Newer version seems to have calmed a bit but for the most part they look like a child designed them.

Range Rovers - Can't place my finger on what it is exactly, but there's just something off-putting about them.

VW Golf - I wouldn't say I "hate" them, but I really don't understand the love for them at all. Really bewilders me.

BMWs - Any of the new ones with the grille that looks like it's seen a ghost.

I'll also add the current X-Trail. It annoys me that it exists, as it's such a pointless model (hard to tell the difference between it and a Qashqai at times) and it bugs me that it is still around, and the Pathfinder isn't. Always loved the Pathfinder's big hearsey-box look.

I'll also go with convertibles too. Don't hate them as such, but they always get a roll of the eyes off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I do laugh sometimes at the pure hatred of SUVs.. now doent get me wrong, I don't like the Quashqai, or anything Opel made... but we have a Rav4 now, and the boot is enormous (necessary for buggy etc.) The rear seat room is bigger than almost anything I've ever been in... very handy for the rotating child seat... if you've never had one, you won't understand.. while still having good legroom in the front. It's comfortable, fairly quiet, and drives OK. If you are determined to have a sporty saloon while having kids, your back, or hers won't thank you. It's nothing to do with image for us anyway.. all about something that can do the job with zero stress.

How did we manage years ago? We didn't keep kids safe years ago, myself included as I sat in the boot of our Opel Kadett...

As for cars I hate that everyone likes... A class Merc... its such a pointless car for me...in fact it seems all about badge in reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

notAMember wrote: »
    I can't abide anything that is "self-charging". Just pure nonsense marketing drivel.

Ditto on hybrids or PHEVS. (And we have had two, so I know how much of a pain they are!) Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a piece of crap that is a pain to maintain, like a tank to drive and park.

Either go full EV or full fossil. The half way house is the worst of all worlds.

I'm going to show some love to the ubiquitous Qashqai, even though they are not for me. My late aunt and uncle found that car very easy to get into, get out of, drive and park when they were struggling badly with arthritis. I also know some other people with physical disabilities who find them very handy. That's why people lifting small children go for them too. Protecting their backs with an easy to source , reliable, accessible car. It's easy to dismiss them when you're young, able-bodied, not had major abdominal surgery and expected to wrestle with toddlers who don't want to be strapped into carseats.

That was the original appeal if I remember of those cars. Easy access, raised driving position, my wife had the original Peugeot 3008 and it was a very good car.
    They weren't trying to be SUV just raised up hatchbacks. The styling has totally changed now
    I just drove a Kuga and it was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Mercedes but especially the cars from 70s,80s and 90s. I just don't get the fascination with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In my humble the Brera was the much nicer looking car.

The C pillar on that yoke was so wide it made it look like a van.
    Always thought the GT was a far nicer design

alfa-brera-ubg-28thdec-0135.jpg?itok=aXdZIViA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

For me, for cars I don't like but that seem popular, I'd echo previously mentioned ones mostly:

Nissan Juke - horrendous. Newer version seems to have calmed a bit but for the most part they look like a child designed them.

Range Rovers - Can't place my finger on what it is exactly, but there's just something off-putting about them.

The drivers usually....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anything with a VW badge, especially Passats, Bora's and Jettas. Also most BMW's (5 and 3 series) and most Audi's too. Basically all the cars that boyracers and scumbags buy these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement