Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google mesh

Options
  • 06-06-2021 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Sorry if this is too basic a question, but I am trying to find out how to add wifi in my new garden room, but make sure that it is compatible with current set up and with future plans.

I currently have a vodafone AP/Router as my home internet connection, with a Hive on it for heating. Wifi signal is good, covers all house (100m2) and most of garden, but not good enough to work from home from new garden room on it alone. We currently have an old TP link extender connected to this router - the other TP link is plugged in beside the tv, and is only used to connect a humax-freesat box (which has no wifi capability) to the internet.
    I have a google chromecast, and it and the tv itself are on the wifi network.

I am not techy, but was able to set the above up by following instructions on tp link, chrome cast etc

On Thursday I am getting a home office set up in a garden room. The installers have already run a CAT cable to it, and the electrician will be putting in an access point.

What do I get so that there is one wired and wifi network across the house, at the current tv, and in the new office? Without having to reconnect when moving between them.
    It would be good if there was wired internet in the home office too, but not a must.
    If I replace the tp-link, I need something that the humax/freesat can plug into.
    We would also like some intercom functionality so that we can talk between house and office.
    Having a speaker in the home office would be a bonus, as would future possibility of lights etc being controllable.

Would a 3-piece Google mesh (router plus 2 nests) be what I am looking for? Does the home office one just connect directly to the AP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

randomguy wrote: »
    Sorry if this is too basic a question, but I am trying to find out how to add wifi in my new garden room, but make sure that it is compatible with current set up and with future plans.

I currently have a vodafone AP/Router as my home internet connection, with a Hive on it for heating. Wifi signal is good, covers all house (100m2) and most of garden, but not good enough to work from home from new garden room on it alone. We currently have an old TP link extender connected to this router - the other TP link is plugged in beside the tv, and is only used to connect a humax-freesat box (which has no wifi capability) to the internet.
    I have a google chromecast, and it and the tv itself are on the wifi network.

I am not techy, but was able to set the above up by following instructions on tp link, chrome cast etc

On Thursday I am getting a home office set up in a garden room. The installers have already run a CAT cable to it, and the electrician will be putting in an access point.

What do I get so that there is one wired and wifi network across the house, at the current tv, and in the new office? Without having to reconnect when moving between them.
    It would be good if there was wired internet in the home office too, but not a must.
    If I replace the tp-link, I need something that the humax/freesat can plug into.
    We would also like some intercom functionality so that we can talk between house and office.
    Having a speaker in the home office would be a bonus, as would future possibility of lights etc being controllable.

Would a 3-piece Google mesh (router plus 2 nests) be what I am looking for? Does the home office one just connect directly to the AP?

Get a mesh network and connect the node in the office using ethernet. Most mesh nodes have two ethernet ports so you could use the remaining for your computer or a switch.

Google mesh is good but I think it only comes with 1 ethernet port. I have TP Link Deco M9's and would recommend. I only installed the M5's in my mother in laws last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The google mesh don't have a network connection on the nodes so probably won't be an option for a remote office.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭randomguy

Thanks to you both for the comments. I did more research over the weekend, and it really wasn't clear to me if the google nest speakers had (1) a connection for wired back-haul from office to router and (2) connection for non-wireless connection by humax/freesat, so in the end I went for 3-piece TP-link Deco M5 system, which seem to have both.

I still want an intercom system and some smart features in the future, so might also get a pair of Amazon Echo dots, one in the house and one in the garden room office, once I have the TP-link mesh set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

randomguy wrote: »
    Thanks to you both for the comments. I did more research over the weekend, and it really wasn't clear to me if the google nest speakers had (1) a connection for wired back-haul from office to router and (2) connection for non-wireless connection by humax/freesat, so in the end I went for 3-piece TP-link Deco M5 system, which seem to have both.

I still want an intercom system and some smart features in the future, so might also get a pair of Amazon Echo dots, one in the house and one in the garden room office, once I have the TP-link mesh set up.

Yes good choice. I have three Deco's connected over ethernet and it's flawless with 30 connected devices. Very easy to set up too using the app on your mobile device.

Just an update on the TP-link Deco M5s. Really really easy to set up. App on mobile is clear and easy to use.

Each deco has 2 ethernet ports, which work for either incoming or outgoing connection, so no problem connecting both the humax and the hive by ethernet cable, no problem wirelessly connecting the chromecast and tv. Haven't tried the backhaul wiring for the third deco (access point not in yet) but as long as that works I'll be a happy customer.

• Advertisement

Quick update - backhaul internet worked without a bother, so both house and office now wired to deco, with one wireless deco in between at back of house - works a dream, 100Mbps wireless throughout house, garden and log cabin office.

Have now got 2 amazon dots added wirelessly, one in kitchen and other in office, with the water/heating in the house, log-cabin outside lights, and log-cabin infra-red heater/thermostat all now controlled through alexa. Was surprisingly easy to set up. Also works as intercom between kitchen and office.

Thinking about doorbell and security cameras next...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Nice work, whats your incoming speed, from ISP?

Advertisement