Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing - where to start!

• 07-06-2021 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

So I've been saving 800 per month for a mortgage for the past year. I’ve a good job and I'm a single mother to a 9 year old. I'm now pregnant with my second baby - the relationship turned toxic and I had to leave, so I'm feeling very vulnerable and upset. We both have good jobs and of course he promised me the world and said we would get a mortgage and build etc.

Anyway. Here I am with no prospect of getting a mortgage on my own with two little kiddies. I live in an extention in my parents house and they are not pushing me to leave. However, there's no room for the second baby and he or she won't have a bedroom moving forward. I need my own home.

I am on the council list for about 9 years for me and my son. I got offered an apartment while with the partner I just broke up with. However declined this, as I was under the impression we would buy. That's all I was offered in 9 years!!!!

I need a home for my babies. I'm a really quiet girl, good income and my son is super quiet and kind. How do I go about getting on the list properly with the expectation we will get a home?!

Feeling very upset and vulnerable so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

What's the situation with the 800 euro per month and why can't that go towards renting a place? This is in Wexford isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Depending on how much you have saved already, (10% of mortgage) Have you looked into mortgages provided by the council?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

€9,600 is a nice chunk to have saved, cu do mortgage too, not sure area but moving outside a town or village a little and buy a place could well be doable.

Sure when we were kids the 4 of us were in the one bedroom until later on in the years, parents had students at times also so used the 3rd bedroom for that. They even made one sitting room into their bedroom for a few years to help with bills etc....

As above council do that help to buy or new build and also if new you get the tax back off revenue up to around 15k or so which is used towards the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Shhk11

TP_CM wrote: »
    What's the situation with the 800 euro per month and why can't that go towards renting a place? This is in Wexford isn't it?

I could currently rent. However, I want my money to go towards a home that I own myself and will eventually be there for my kids.

€9,600 is a nice chunk to have saved, cu do mortgage too, not sure area but moving outside a town or village a little and buy a place could well be doable.

Sure when we were kids the 4 of us were in the one bedroom until later on in the years, parents had students at times also so used the 3rd bedroom for that. They even made one sitting room into their bedroom for a few years to help with bills etc....

As above council do that help to buy or new build and also if new you get the tax back off revenue up to around 15k or so which is used towards the deposit.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll look into it.

• Advertisement

Depending on how much you have saved already, (10% of mortgage) Have you looked into mortgages provided by the council?

Hi, I haven't yet but will look into this now. Thanks so much for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

If your relationship with your parents is generally good, then I think you should stay put for a couple of years. You’ll need all the help you can get with the new baby (every parent does) and in the meantime you can be saving for a mortgage and/or work your way further up the social housing list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm not sure on your circumstances, very personal and don't answer as more advice if not the case....
    If you are getting maintenance or aren't it's something you would need to be looking at too as all these things will help towards mortgage as a dependent will cut what they are willing to loan, obviously with 2 that's going to hit hard on that end.

I understand it will be tight where you are but it will be doable if it's a case you need a bit more but nothing wrong in trying things out.

We went broker 1st and they tried loads of banks, they got nowhere, we went to ptsb ourselves and got it after some hard work.

If you can continue saving that amount and can show this that will work well towards you, we missed out on the tax back part as we hadn't the budget to buy new so lost out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

JPup wrote: »
    If your relationship with your parents is generally good, then I think you should stay put for a couple of years. You’ll need all the help you can get with the new baby (every parent does) and in the meantime you can be saving for a mortgage and/or work your way further up the social housing list.

Listen to to JPup. Aside from buying a place, the expense of moving is not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You need to check if you're still on the housing list, it sounds like you might have been removed. Get on to the housing department tomorrow.

I think Rebuilding Ireland mortgages might be best for you but I'd advise applying sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if you got an offer and turned it down , did you ask to remain on the housing list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Shhk11 wrote:
    I am on the council list for about 9 years for me and my son. I got offered an apartment while with the partner I just broke up with. However declined this, as I was under the impression we would buy. That's all I was offered in 9 years!!!!

Why did you decline it when you could have loved there and continued to progress towards eventually getting a mortgage?

Apart from being on the council waiting list, you can eventually meet someone resulting in a relationship that you can buy together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

If you declined the home you were offered did you stay on the housing list or ask to be removed? I would imagine that will impact the time line of when and if your ever offered again.

Id stay put in your parents and keep on saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shhk11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I've been saving 800 per month..... I'm a really quiet girl, good income .

How good is your income?

If you can save that much, I'm surprised you are eligible for social housing.

If you are, then TBH you are better off not getting offered a place until the baby is born. That way, if it is a girl you will be eligible for a 3 bed.

Advertisement