Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree or Shrub identify

Options
  • 07-06-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a vast array of perennial plants, shrubs in my garden, this one a complete mystery and I did not plant it. Very thin, tall stem and red berries come out in July. I actually love it, quite unusual and has doubled in length over two years, no thorns also, just small uniform leaves, any ideas what it might be.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

There is no link to a pic!

There is no link to a pic!

Sorry had to make it smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Need a pic. Red berries in summer are a bit unusual.

Edit, sorry got distracted. It looks a bit like a Weigela but it doesn't have berries in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

Thanks but cant help as I don't recognize it. Perhaps it arrived via a helpful bird, in droppings, and maybe it is a native tree or bush. Take a pic to garden center. Let us know if you discover what it is.

• Advertisement

Thanks but cant help as I don't recognize it. Perhaps it arrived via a helpful bird, in droppings, and maybe it is a native tree or bush. Take a pic to garden center. Let us know if you discover what it is.

Thanks anyway, it is really quite unusual, particularly its structure, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I would say straight away its a cotoneaster of some kind?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cant help identify it, however would suggest you try the Plantnet android app (dont know if there is an iphone version). Its free and i've found it pretty good at identifying things in other peoples gardens that take my fancy!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

OP have a google for pics of Cotoneaster simonsii to see if there is any resemblance?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There appears to be weigela flowers down at the bottom of the plant.

• Advertisement

Several reasons for the cotoneaster guess. Firstly it just looks like one, secondly they often have red berries, thirdly I've had various species of cotoneaster self seed. Finally cottoneaster simonsii is one of those ones that is know for self seeding https://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pages/cotoneaster_simonsii_himalayan_cotoneaster.htm

I would say straight away its a cotoneaster of some kind?

Interesting, never heard of such a plant /tree :)

Supercell wrote: »
    Cant help identify it, however would suggest you try the Plantnet android app (dont know if there is an iphone version). Its free and i've found it pretty good at identifying things in other peoples gardens that take my fancy!

Tried various apps, all sorts of results, you know how apps can show up all sorts of variations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Google lense app works for me always.

looksee wrote: »
    There appears to be weigela flowers down at the bottom of the plant.

No, that's part of the plant albeit it is surrounded by all sorts of different plants :)

Several reasons for the cotoneaster guess. Firstly it just looks like one, secondly they often have red berries, thirdly I've had various species of cotoneaster self seed. Finally cottoneaster simonsii is one of those ones that is know for self seeding https://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pages/cotoneaster_simonsii_himalayan_cotoneaster.htm

You might just be onto something, the only thing I'd say, the leaves rarely get as big as those in the link, also whilst young enough, maybe 3 years, the stem has never widened?

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Google lense app works for me always.

I'm reasonably tech savy but I've wondered about Google lense, I've a Hauwei P30 with Google services, is it built in? Is this used when looking at image, editing options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Cotoneaster was my first thought too.

Having searched Cotoneaster, I've have to say it's as close as it gets, there's so many varieties. I'm in the slieve bloom mountains and have certainly not see a similar example in the area.

Thanks all, I certainly believe it to be a Cotoneaster, fascinating :) and well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm reasonably tech savy but I've wondered about Google lense, I've a Hauwei P30 with Google services, is it built in? Is this used when looking at image, editing options?

Wouldn't know if it's built in. I just got the app from appstore.

There's a bit of info

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/7539151?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

• Advertisement

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Wouldn't know if it's built in. I just got the app from appstore.

There's a bit info

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/7539151?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Fantastic, thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Found a branch in a park - looked around trying to find a tree / plant but couldnt:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Eucalyptus cinerea - Argyle Apple by the look of it.

Do you get the scent of eucalyptus if you crush the leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I couldnt get any smell from the leaf but I tried to cut "cone" and got pretty nice intensive smell from there. Judging from the shape of "cones" this is definetely some kind of eucalyptus and I only wonder if it grows in Deer Park or someone brought the branch from private house garden.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you go from Killiney dart station and start walking to the top of the hill, there's (well, there used to be) a garden filled with eucalyptus trees. The scent was intoxicating (in a good way).

Advertisement