Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey and Dairy Intolerance

• 07-06-2021 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I recently learned that I have an intolerance to egg whites, peas and dairy.
    This has me debating my food supplementation going forward as I would typically have three servings of whey every day, one in the morning and two after training.
    AFAIK the plant based protein powders we see on the market are largely made from pea protein so they're a no go too.

But the whey I was using was an isolate, biotech ISO zero, so I contacted the manufacturer to see if they could tell me how much milk remains after they remove the lactose etc but the rep just directed me to their line of beef protein powder.

I remember beef protein powder being very thick and having a coarse texture but I hope it has come some ways since then.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Might be worth reading through some of the reviews on Hydrolysed Beef Protein here - https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/hydrolysed-beef-protein/10902405.html#

Some decent tips on how to make it palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Similar here, started getting dreadful cramps after my Whey protein and changed to one of the vegan ones, no issues now... but also removed all milk from my diet.

I use this one
    https://www.bulk.com/ie/soya-protein-isolate-90.html
    They do a flavouring bottle separately https://www.bulk.com/ie/liquiflav.html
    Beef was grand but then I went off it. It's certainly not as good as whey was. The soya is fine. There's a vegan blend also which mixes nicer but I imagine it would have pea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Omg another thread for protein powders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

markmoto wrote: »
    Omg another thread for protein powders.

Yep.

Sometimes forums have threads about similar things with a different question about them.

And also because Boards is in the pay of Big Protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Similar here, started getting dreadful cramps after my Whey protein and changed to one of the vegan ones, no issues now... but also removed all milk from my diet.

I don't get cramps or anything like that, some of my joints and digits are showing signs of arthritis so I'm exploring dietary causes before I go nuclear with meds.
    Patsy wrote:
    some decent tips on how to make it pallatable
    That's what I was afraid of, a big heavy sludgy curmudgeon of a shake. Especially after using isolate for so long.

I'll try the biotech beef and hopefully it's not as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

I haven't see any mammals who drink baby milk (dairy) all life except human who then complain about intolerance

Qgirl wrote: »
    I haven't see any mammals who drink baby milk (dairy) all life except human who then complain about intolerance

That seems the height of it.

Anyway I got beef protein the other day and while the consistency is strange, it is not thick and heavy as I remember so it's a great success!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

That seems the height of it.

Anyway I got beef protein the other day and while the consistency is strange, it is not thick and heavy as I remember so it's a great success!

haha beef protein? wondering if that protein cheaper than fresh beef in your supermarket? and why would that be?

Qgirl wrote: »
    haha beef protein? wondering if that protein cheaper than fresh beef in your supermarket? and why would that be?

No, it's more expensive.
    Fresh mince is about eight euro per kilo.
    Beef protein powder is about fifty euro for 2.5kilo tub.

• Advertisement

No, it's more expensive.
    Fresh mince is about eight euro per kilo.
    Beef protein powder is about fifty euro for 2.5kilo tub.

I wouldn't eat lean protein of any kind especially processed ones.
    Protein should be consume with fat in a natural form at least for now.

In other hand excess amount of protein converts to glucose and regular consumption of high dosages might damage kidney and liver.

I wouldn't eat lean protein of any kind especially processed ones.
    Protein should be consume with fat in a natural form at least for now.

In other hand excess amount of protein converts to glucose and regular consumption of high dosages might damage kidney and liver.

Not even chicken or poultry?

I don't have the time or money to eat ribeye for every meal.

Not even chicken or poultry?

I don't have the time or money to eat ribeye for every meal.

Lean meat is fine.

Lean meat is fine.

I would have thought so too but the other gentleman seems to think otherwise.

Lean meat is fine to an extend but commercially grown chicken nowadays absolutely tasteless no flavor as used to be years ago.

You might want to watch this

If the biggest problem you have in your diet is the fat content of your meat, you're in a good place.

Bigger picture is more important than the cut of beef.

If the biggest problem you have in your diet is the fat content of your meat, you're in a good place.

No, I'm happy out!
    Just experimenting with removing dairy.
    I didn't have alot of beef in my diet before, too much faffing involved in quality of cut and the quality of the cooking.

Lean meat is fine to an extend but commercially grown chicken nowadays absolutely tasteless no flavor as used to be years ago.

You might want to watch this

In fairness that looks like it leans more towards McDonald's and KFC type 'chicken'

The difference between fatty cut and lean meat.

Protein, trigger two hormones: insulin and glucagon
    While insulin stops fat burning, glucagon increases fat burning
    When consuming protein with fat provides low insulin response.

if you are in bulk mode lean meat perfectly fine
    If you trying to lose weight fatty cut of meat would work better.

Bulk mode:

Protein + Carbs (sugar/fructose)
    Fat + Carbs

Weight lose:

Protein
    Protein + Fat

Bulk mode:

Fat + Carbs

Weight lose:

Protein
    Protein + Fat

Stop. Ráiméis.

Like I said, if the fat content of the meat you eat is the biggest concern then you're doing ok.

For most people it isn't. Focussing on that is majoring in the minors and isn't helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Markmoto, meet Qgirl. Match made in heaven

I recently learned that I have an intolerance to egg whites, peas and dairy.
    This has me debating my food supplementation going forward as I would typically have three servings of whey every day, one in the morning and two after training.
    AFAIK the plant based protein powders we see on the market are largely made from pea protein so they're a no go too.

But the whey I was using was an isolate, biotech ISO zero, so I contacted the manufacturer to see if they could tell me how much milk remains after they remove the lactose etc but the rep just directed me to their line of beef protein powder.

I remember beef protein powder being very thick and having a coarse texture but I hope it has come some ways since then.

Has anybody else experienced this?

If you are into experiments I would suggest test strips, this way you can see your body response for protein, glucose etc

Bulk mode:

Fat + Carbs

Weight lose:

Protein
    Protein + Fat

As an aside, and since Kevin Hall is highly respected in this area, from 4 months ago

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33479499/

People participating could eat ad libitum. The low fat (10%) high carb (75%) participants ate less than the low carb (10%) high fat (75%) participants.

As an aside, and since Kevin Hall is highly respected in this area, from 4 months ago

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33479499/

People participating could eat ad libitum. The low fat (10%) high carb (75%) participants ate less than the low carb (10%) high fat (75%) participants.

Thanks, Interesting, unfortunately study conclusion "inconsistent" and some wording troublesome such as "minimally processed" I have to read full protocol, 25 pages long later on if anyone interested link below
    https://osf.io/fjykq/

There was a few studies done as well with more conclusive outcomes I will share links next week.

Thanks, Interesting, unfortunately study conclusion "inconsistent" and some wording troublesome such as "minimally processed" I have to read full protocol, 25 pages long later on if anyone interested link below
    https://osf.io/fjykq/

There was a few studies done as well with more conclusive outcomes I will share links next week.

The study conclusion isn't inconsistent. Either you don't understand or you're wilfully misunderstanding what they have said.

"Therefore, the predictions of the carbohydrate-insulin model were inconsistent with our observations."

The carbohydrate-insulin model suggests that high carb means excess insulin secretion thus promoting excess energy intake and fat accumulation. And so the mod suggests low carb reduces and libitum energy intake.

The use of 'inconsistent' is because the study did not show the model to hold true. I'm not sure why you're presenting it's use as a reflection on the study which is fairly clear.

I'm not suggesting the findings make for an absolute but rather they highlight the problem with your presentation of absolutes around carbohydrate intake.

The study conclusion isn't inconsistent. Either you don't understand or you're wilfully misunderstanding what they have said.

"Therefore, the predictions of the carbohydrate-insulin model were inconsistent with our observations."

The carbohydrate-insulin model suggests that high carb means excess insulin secretion thus promoting excess energy intake and fat accumulation. And so the mod suggests low carb reduces and libitum energy intake.

The use of 'inconsistent' is because the study did not show the model to hold true. I'm not sure why you're presenting it's use as a reflection on the study which is fairly clear.

I'm not suggesting the findings make for an absolute but rather they highlight the problem with your presentation of absolutes around carbohydrate intake.

Did you read full protocol or just brief highlights?
    I didn't yet. And isn't clear enough There is many observational studies like that some hold to be true some eventually passed away.

I am not confirming or denying but wording not clear enough. I have a look later on. Thanks

Did you read full protocol or just brief highlights?
    I didn't yet. And isn't clear enough There is many observational studies like that some hold to be true some eventually passed away.

I am not confirming or denying but wording not clear enough. I have a look later on. Thanks

Your record with research studies hasn't been stellar to date.

The wording is clear. Benefits to both. But those on LFHC did better than those on LCHF.

The point being there isn't an absolute here. Low carb isn't the only way to lose weight.

Your record with research studies hasn't been stellar to date.

The wording is clear. Benefits to both. But those on LFHC did better than those on LCHF.

The point being there isn't an absolute here. Low carb isn't the only way to lose weight.

As humans we continue to research and evolve.
    Low carb not the only way agree, whatever suit you. But what I found out low refine carb/fructose, grain, oil diet gives you so much benefits that can't be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Markmoto, meet Qgirl. Match made in heaven

Was just on the other thread and the same thought hit me lol.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

As humans we continue to research and evolve.
    Low carb not the only way agree, whatever suit you.

Then don't talk in absolutes. There's nothing with carbs in and of themselves.

No one talks about these things in extremes. And, as I have said, food quality and food quantity are not independent. Both matter.

Advertisement