Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hay 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭893bet

Hard to tell. Side of bale looks very green. And no sign of a touch of regrowth.

But near water so they may have had savage wind.

893bet wrote: »
    Hard to tell. Side of bale looks very green. And no sign of a touch of regrowth.

But near water so they may have had savage wind.

surely light green is what you need as in nice leafy stuff bleached by the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

Taken from Instagram, Is it just me or is that still way too green to bale?

I'd not worry about the green as long as it is 'dry' green.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Taken from Instagram, Is it just me or is that still way too green to bale?

You would like to know what day it was cut, and baled and how many turns it received.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭893bet

Barktastic wrote: »
    surely light green is what you need as in nice leafy stuff bleached by the sun

Absolutely. But the side of the bale looks a fairly dark green.

Prob grand stuff.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Absolutely. But the side of the bale looks a fairly dark green.

Prob grand stuff.

Stuff last year got a decent bit of rain but dried well.

Cows ate through it no bother.

If its baled dry youd be very unlucky to suffer heating.

Only ever seen heating in hayledge, even there its the very odd bale and only a tiny bit damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Anybody going for round 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

Absolutely, cut a few acres there on Tuesday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mowed 12 acres yesterday that we held off doing a couple of weeks ago as we reckoned we wouldn't get the weather. It turned out to be the right decision as the weather at the time wasn't good enough for rearing hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Advertisement

Looking like all next week will be good now apparently 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Definitely won’t be a shortage of well saved Hay this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Tileman

Great hay this year. Will be hard sold for lads that don’t have storage.

Yer all gone very quiet lads - all the Hay must be saved.

Hoping to bale the last for this year here tomorrow or Tuesday. Cracking weather for it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭emaherx

Going baling in a few min, with an old square baler that hasn't seen a field in 25 years. Be interesting to see how it survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The pressure is off with this weather, a pleasure to make hay. Got hay in 2 spells this June. Cut a light 2nd cut ok Thursday evening. Wrapped it Saturday morning. Tedded it on Friday. It was super dry. If it was turned once more it would have made savage hay. Bit peed off with myself for not doing it, but have only a few wraps in the yard, when other years it could be close to 200 gathered from surplus grass. Lots of good fodder got so far. Making hay to sell of the meadow is a very tricky game, you just need to have storage for it in case of the worst

What make is it - let us know how you get on

Went okay-ish, New Holland 370, had issues with one knotter missing every 10 to 12 bales. But I'd a claas 46 on the go too so it gathered up what ever was missed.

But for a baler which was rescued from the weeds it went surprisingly well. I'll attach a few more pics of it later.

Post edited by emaherx on

All baled up here today. 12 acres of top quality in glorious conditions. Even made a couple of hundred small squares as well like every one else on the country I think.

fantastic summer for hay.

Few more pics of the baler in the album linked below, including how it looked before any work was done on it.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMNmbpH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Brother got the hay baled on Saturday. Super stuff in this weather. Our contractor pulled the F5500 out for the first time this year to dust off the cobwebs hence a few netting issues (normally runs a fusion)

Cheers Brian, still a good bit of work to be done to it yet. Yesterday was a perfect day just to do some testing when there was no pressure on.

I'm not doing the work on this one myself, I've given it to a friend of mine who is a fabricator. Yesterdays test showed that it's actually fairly mechanically sound so he can continue cutting out and replacing the rotten parts with some confidence that it will be worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

when you have it done up try and get a sleigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was chatting a neighbour and he was saying small square bales wouldn’t want to be left out in this heat or the sun would take the good out of them.

Yea I baked on Sunday and have being trying to draw them in every evening since but every evening we have callers calling in. I even got to load a trailer load yesterday evening but had to Abingdon ship as neighbours called in. Anyway they will all come in this evening but I agree they are drying out allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Quick question, roughly how many square bales in a round bale?

(btw I hate the new boards, I want them to put it back)

Bales from which square baler compared to which Round baler. There's about 10 New Holland 370 bales in a Claas 46 bale. I'd expect a few more in a bale from a more modern round baler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Have ye all given up or is there anyone on round three?

Seems a shame all those big tractors parked up and leaving the work to the 135

Advertisement