Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hay 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Cut some here today, very light crop, but have 2 glas meadows to do after the 1st so decided to get this bit out of the way

Are ya tempted to cut the Glas meadows before the 1st or hold on and hope that the fine spell lasts for a 2nd week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Aravo

Sami23 wrote: »
    Are ya tempted to cut the Glas meadows before the 1st or hold on and hope that the fine spell lasts for a 2nd week ?

Cut 10acres today, 2 no. 5 acre fields. One was light, the other heavier. With the dry weather over the last few weeks, one would imagine the crop should dry out quicker than normal.
    Not going near the Glas THM. Will wait till the 1st. Don't fancy getting a letter in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Tileman

Didn’t cut the Glas meadows but cut another small meadow. God I was fair tempted, grass in superb condition for cutting. Starting to lodge and needs to be cut. Don’t know how they would really check but decided not to cut.
    Fecking calendar farming

Tileman wrote: »
    Didn’t cut the Glas meadows but cut another small meadow. God I was fair tempted, grass in superb condition for cutting. Starting to lodge and needs to be cut. Don’t know how they would really check but decided not to cut.
    Fecking calendar farming

Just on that has anyone on here ever heard of anyone getting penalised for cutting it early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Prob hold on as glas meadows away from these ( no fun going up and down road with haybob trying to save both) I'd say 2 years out of glas fine weather end of june broke at start of july, meant meadows werent cut in ideal conditions after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I knocked a paddock today that had gone way out of hand. I'll try and make a bit of hay off it.

I'd guess if I was to wrap it I'd have 7 bales / acre. What would this translate to in hay I wonder? Maybe 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Just on that has anyone on here ever heard of anyone getting penalised for cutting it early

Know someone who's neighbour was caught cutting glas meadows early got no payment that year and they were trying to claw back previous 3years payments. He was appealing it must enquire how he got on . The Department had satellite photos of the field been mowed and the baler and wrapper in the field the following day. Much and all as I'd be tempted to cut after hearing that I said it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Know someone who's neighbour was caught cutting glas meadows early got no payment that year and they were trying to claw back previous 3years payments. He was appealing it must enquire how he got on . The Department had satellite photos of the field been mowed and the baler and wrapper in the field the following day. Much and all as I'd be tempted to cut after hearing that I said it's not worth it.

Local man is being tortured over. Wildbird cover. He sowed it last March (2020) and arrived out this February to inspect. Inspector claimed he never sowed it. The farmer knew he was in bother the minute the inspector arrived. He said he had an awful arrogance about him. It did strike on the drought last year nearly wiped it out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Had an inspection here last year in or about the 28/29th June. They were specifically looking at hay meadows but viewing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Fine morning this morning here in the mid west. Fairly clear sky. Sun shinning and a good breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Passed a guy tossing a field of stuff. Got rain the other day but you wouldn’t know it today.
    Sunny and breezy here in west Cavan, perfect day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Slow enough hay days here in the midlands. A small bit of a breeze and not an awful lot of power in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

On my brothers stag in Waterford.
    Put the call into the contractor to mow yesterday.
    See? Farmers can do this remote working thing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

On my brothers stag in Waterford.
    Put the call into the contractor to mow yesterday.
    See? Farmers can do this remote working thing too!

Jeez, calling in the contractor is now classed as work!!!!

BENDYBINN wrote: »

In the same way that lads that don’t call the contractor in to do the hedges are lazy!

Savage day here. Another one like this and there be no problem for Wednesday/Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

893bet wrote: »
    In the same way that lads that don’t call the contractor in to do the hedges are lazy!

Savage day here. Another one like this and there be no problem for Wednesday/Thursday

Your delighted you knocked it Friday. Yesterday with the breeze was good, but today was a belter for hay, sunshine and wind

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Young95

How many turns would hay need lads to save it well ? Mowed it Friday and turned it today . If I turned it again tomorrow and Tuesday would that do ? Average crop bulk wise .

Young95 wrote: »
    How many turns would hay need lads to save it well ? Mowed it Friday and turned it today . If I turned it again tomorrow and Tuesday would that do ? Average crop bulk wise .
    Always about 4-5 times. Depends on the meadow, type of grass, weather. Even down to trees shading it. Very gentle turn from the 3rd turning on as the crop is getting brittle

Always about 4-5 times. Depends on the meadow, type of grass, weather. Even down to trees shading it. Very gentle turn from the 3rd turning on as the crop is getting brittle

And the biggest factor. The machine. A proper Tedder and three might do it on an open field. Small shaded fields and a hay Bob then 5.

Same as here. I am looking at maybe a new 40 year old one myself. Not a lot to go wrong with them.

Clearly a boardie below selling this one.....and not too far from me....

(Edit, that’s not me selling for clarity)

098-CAE79-6704-43-A8-908-F-1-C01-E4-EF8-A73.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

When you say gentle turn, would 450rev be good?

Young95 wrote: »

Don’t worry about the number of turns. Keep going until you don’t bring up any more green

Hagimalone wrote: »
    When you say gentle turn, would 450rev be good?

Even back to 350rpm on the pto

Don’t worry about the number of turns. Keep going until you don’t bring up any more green

If you keep turning it you'll batter the shi#e out of it

If you keep turning it you'll batter the shi#e out of it

Yes but if it’s still turning up clumps of free it’s not fit. One field might take 3 turns, another might take 6. Same two fields on another year could be 4 and 5 turns depending on other factors like weather etc.

So it’s not possible to say how many turns you need.

Yes but if it’s still turning up clumps of free it’s not fit. One field might take 3 turns, another might take 6. Same two fields on another year could be 4 and 5 turns depending on other factors like weather etc.

So it’s not possible to say how many turns you need.

Your right there I suppose.
    Weather this week may not turn out as good as expected now with the rain due Thursday afternoon / evening.
    It's gonna be tight for a lot of lads to get by then if mine is anything to go by

It takes longer than you think always. Often see ours here that is almost fit you think. And then it needs an extra 2 x turn.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

It’s work enough when you’re away on the first break in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Grand hay in North cork , averaging about 11 % moisture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

:-)

Advertisement