Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hay 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cut sat evening here, fine fog down this morning. Should burn off hopefully will get it in 2moro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭893bet

Our bit is fit at this stage one last turn for the backsward required is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What is turn the back sward ,is it turn the oposite way to the previous runs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭893bet

cute geoge wrote: »
    What is turn the back sward ,is it turn the oposite way to the previous runs

The backsward is the last sward of grass cut closest to the ditch. The hardest part to dry out as it’s often the heaviest grass and most sheltered.

Other people prob call it something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

893bet wrote: »
    The backsward is the last sward of grass cut closest to the ditch. The hardest part to dry out as it’s often the heaviest grass and most sheltered.

Headlands around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Young95

kk.man wrote: »
    Better bale before Thursday in the South East

Baling later dis evening here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Very dull here in Mayo the last two days…..have leafy enough stuff I usually make Silage of for sheep but when I saw the forecast last week I chanced for hay and cut it Saturday.We had several hours of torrential rain last Thursday so I had to wait nearly 36 hours to get the grass cut dry.

Turned it Monday and again there now but will be tight enough if it’s ready for baling tomorrow evening.Looking at forecast things look safe enough rain wise till Saturday at this stage which is great.

This week may have come a bit early for people with sheep whose meadows would only be taken up late but there is a lot of stuff been gathered up tg.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 releasevalve

dzer2 wrote: »
    Headlands around here

As the ould lad use to say round with the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

893bet wrote: »

Many moons ago I shared house in college in limerick with a wild leitrim man that I'd swear got his first pair of shoes around age 15.. anyway one day we were in town and he insisted we go to a cafe for tea and cake.. he duly confused the woman behind the counter when he said..can I have the back sward on that cake mam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Now sunny and very hot in North cork. So should be good to go in an hour or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Aravo wrote: »
    Cut 10acres today, 2 no. 5 acre fields. One was light, the other heavier. With the dry weather over the last few weeks, one would imagine the crop should dry out quicker than normal.
    Not going near the Glas THM. Will wait till the 1st. Don't fancy getting a letter in the post.

Hoping to bale here tomorrow afternoon. Turning daily.
    One field is grand, the other got an extra turn yesterday and will get same again today as the grass is a lot newer as was reseeded 2 yrs ago, the grass in this field is a lot greener and more sap in it.

Weather has been a bit hit and miss with cloud blocking out the sunshine for long periods some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

Aravo wrote: »
    Hoping to bale here tomorrow afternoon. Turning daily.
    One field is grand, the other got an extra turn yesterday and will get same again today as the grass is a lot newer as was reseeded 2 yrs ago, the grass in this field is a lot greener and more sap in it.

Weather has been a bit hit and miss with cloud blocking out the sunshine for long periods some days.

Do ye think all the country is safe from rain tomorrow lads ?
    Mine won't be fit today anyway

Small few dark clouds, hopefully avoid any showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do ye think all the country is safe from rain tomorrow lads ?
    Mine won't be fit today anyway

U should be ok but there is a small risk. However don’t panic. If it’s not fit to bale don’t bale it today as u will be left with poor fodder for feeding and not suitable for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Heat and dust is unbearable out there now. Hay is absolutely cracking. Baler arriving at 7, hoping for about 7 bales/acre that should leave me around 120 bales which i doubt will fit into an old 2 aisle hayshed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

Last of the hay 2021 baled this evening. None of it got rain. Now to bate Wexford on Sunday ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Made 50 bales on Monday. Got a bit of last weeks rain but it was in good enough order. Happy to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Tileman wrote: »
    U should be ok but there is a small risk. However don’t panic. If it’s not fit to bale don’t bale it today as u will be left with poor fodder for feeding and not suitable for sale.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

65 acres done today and another 15 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

raked 80 acres of hay yeasterday for different farmers and cant say much of it was actually fit to bale..can never understand lads willing to bale damp hay and let it heat instead of spending €6 per bale and having decent haylage

• Advertisement

raked 80 acres of hay yeasterday for different farmers and cant say much of it was actually fit to bale..can never understand lads willing to bale damp hay and let it heat instead of spending €6 per bale and having decent haylage

Only have small number myself but for lads making a lot of bales and that have storage for Hay there's a big difference in €5 to make a bale of Hay compared to €11 or €12 for a bale of silage I suppose.
    Over double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Baling up unfit hay just to save a few bob is madness and poor economy. You end up with at best white moldy hay to at worse pure dung in the center of the bales.
    I ended up wrapping two fields as the crop was just too heavy to dry out properly. No amount of shaking can reduce the internal moisture of heavy silage stuff.

Some amount of hay being made this year. Lads avoiding the price of plastic as much as they can

Very dull start to the day lads - hope it picks up quickly

Sami23 wrote: »
    Very dull start to the day lads - hope it picks up quickly

Very foggy here

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

I wonder are lads out of practice or actually don't know how to make hay? I've been making it since I was 8 with those lovely square bales, graduated to 5 x 4 belt made bales in the early 1990's. The hay had to be really dry for those. The standard was 1 day more than small square bales for it to be fit. Making Welger bales today and it could have been baled yesterday but I'm old school!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

ABlur wrote: »
    I wonder are lads out of practice or actually don't know how to make hay? I've been making it since I was 8 with those lovely square bales, graduated to 5 x 4 belt made bales in the early 1990's. The hay had to be really dry for those. The standard was 1 day more than small square bales for it to be fit. Making Welger bales today and it could have been baled yesterday but I'm old school!

20 years ago I gave a few summers baling. You had the lad that had it roasted to a crisp and you had the lad that insisted on baling unfit hay. I suppose the skill is in getting it correct and in between the 2 extremes. Plenty of them lads too to be fair.

got everything finished yesterday thankfully. about 600 bales off 50 acres. 3/4 already sold and gone off the fields

2smiggy wrote: »
    got everything finished yesterday thankfully. about 600 bales off 50 acres. 3/4 already sold and gone off the fields

Hay will be plentiful this year

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hay will be plentiful this year

I know, that's why very happy to have it sold. Held out other years and having to draw it all in and store it, and selling it bit by bit over the winter and after is not worth the effort

Advertisement